Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: This is not a joke ... be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 32742 times)

towanda03

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it goes...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ilackoriginality
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: This is not a joke ... be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2005, 05:34:54 PM »
I took down my personal picture and some identifying information a couple of weeks ago when I got a quasi-creepy e-mail about it, it got me thinking that with the information I've given out it probably wouldn't be impossible (though still exceeding difficult) for some overly obsessive freak to track me down.  Of course, this information, along with photos, is released through other organizations of which I am a member, and I have no control over that.  Welcome to the information age and all its perils, I guess.  In any public internet forum, you should probably always assume that the information you provide is going to the worst sort of human-being you can imagine (and for the record I'm not suggesting that adcoms fall into this category).

I think all of this is a moot point for most users, but I'm another one of those people whose LSN account might as well be a fingerprint.  But I could really care less... so match away, adcoms!  :)

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2005, 05:57:27 PM »
i think it is not far fetched to say that adcoms probably read these boards.  It would only take 2 people reading full time to do it per office.

maybe it is a good idea for all of us to conduct ourselves on these boards as we would face to face, as professionals.  we are all going to law school and want to practice law in a professional way so why not start now with people that you know want to do the same? 

even with the a-holes it could be done...would probably annoy them more ;)
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

SetRecordStr8

« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2005, 06:14:42 PM »
I applied to 35 schools. I sent a “race addendum” fully and honestly describing my background to 34 of those 35 schools. For one school X I did not, for the following reason:

All of the other schools invited an open “diversity” essay or had no overt warnings about submitting extra supplemental materials. In contrast, school X does have a unique warning. A quote from X’s app: “The Admissions Committee does not encourage sending supplemental materials aside from the attachments listed.” The only stated attachment that would have been close to acceptable for my “diverse race background” description was a “Statement on Economic, Social, or Personal Disadvantage”. However, this description for this essay required that the essay demonstrate severe hardship one has experienced in the past due to the socio/racial/economic background. I do not feel that I have experienced hardship because of my background and my “diverse race background” essay does not assert so. Thus, I did not know what to do. Should I submit my “diverse race background” essay explaining my situation or not?

Back in September I called school X. I fully explained my situation to the person on the phone. I explained my concern that I wanted to fully disclose my background but X’s application seemed to heavily dissuade one from submitting any materials not specifically asked for. I explained all the key facts in my race background and asked whether or not it would be appropriate for me to submit an essay describing all these facts so that there would be no confusion about my self identification as Hispanic.

I received the following cryptic response: “Follow the instructions on the application.” Continued further inquiries resulted in the same cryptic response. I did what I was told on the phone and followed the letter of the law on X’s application. Therefore, I did not submit my “race addendum” to school X.

X discovered my information on LSD and LSN and matched my profile up with my app. They read in some of my posts that I submitted a race addendum to various schools explaining my background. X was confused and angry because X did not receive said addendum. Without contacting me first, X proceeded to call many of the schools I listed on LSN as having applied to and raised questions about my honesty and integrity.

For all such schools I am immediately interested in, I have contacted them and they are fully aware of my side of the story and I have been assured that I am in no way viewed as having been dishonest. X is the only school with that opinion. After lengthy discussions with X, I believe X is beginning to understand the reason I did not submit the race addendum in the first place and is beginning to believe I made no attempt to deceive them and, in fact, my reason for not submitting the addendum in the first place was out of an attempt to be scrupulously honest. I did not want to give X the impression that I believe I have faced hardship as a result of my race identification.

I wish X had contacted me directly with their concerns. If they had done so, all of this could have been avoided. I do not think it was right for X to contact various schools and raise questions about my honesty and integrity without involving me in some way in the process. I debated whether or not to make this post, and in the end I decided the following:

X decided to use LSD/LSN to gather information on me and reached a false conclusion in doing so. As such, I feel it is appropriate for me to make this one last final post on the same board from whence they gathered their initial information.

I’m really signing off this time. Thanks guys. It’s been a blast. Kick ass in 1L, and to school X – no hard feelings. Sometimes these misunderstandings happen. I’m all good with things now. I hope you are too.

wongsb

« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2005, 06:22:41 PM »
i think it is not far fetched to say that adcoms probably read these boards.  It would only take 2 people reading full time to do it per office.

Seriously, considering that many of us have jobs and are still able to read and contribute to LSD with good frequency.... who knows! 

Definitely creepy. 

LordofLight

« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2005, 06:26:32 PM »
Holy *&^%! Ok this is nice--I've just crossed over from nuerosis into a full blown paranoia.

I applied to 35 schools. I sent a “race addendum” fully and honestly describing my background to 34 of those 35 schools. For one school X I did not, for the following reason:

All of the other schools invited an open “diversity” essay or had no overt warnings about submitting extra supplemental materials. In contrast, school X does have a unique warning. A quote from X’s app: “The Admissions Committee does not encourage sending supplemental materials aside from the attachments listed.” The only stated attachment that would have been close to acceptable for my “diverse race background” description was a “Statement on Economic, Social, or Personal Disadvantage”. However, this description for this essay required that the essay demonstrate severe hardship one has experienced in the past due to the socio/racial/economic background. I do not feel that I have experienced hardship because of my background and my “diverse race background” essay does not assert so. Thus, I did not know what to do. Should I submit my “diverse race background” essay explaining my situation or not?

Back in September I called school X. I fully explained my situation to the person on the phone. I explained my concern that I wanted to fully disclose my background but X’s application seemed to heavily dissuade one from submitting any materials not specifically asked for. I explained all the key facts in my race background and asked whether or not it would be appropriate for me to submit an essay describing all these facts so that there would be no confusion about my self identification as Hispanic.

I received the following cryptic response: “Follow the instructions on the application.” Continued further inquiries resulted in the same cryptic response. I did what I was told on the phone and followed the letter of the law on X’s application. Therefore, I did not submit my “race addendum” to school X.

X discovered my information on LSD and LSN and matched my profile up with my app. They read in some of my posts that I submitted a race addendum to various schools explaining my background. X was confused and angry because X did not receive said addendum. Without contacting me first, X proceeded to call many of the schools I listed on LSN as having applied to and raised questions about my honesty and integrity.

For all such schools I am immediately interested in, I have contacted them and they are fully aware of my side of the story and I have been assured that I am in no way viewed as having been dishonest. X is the only school with that opinion. After lengthy discussions with X, I believe X is beginning to understand the reason I did not submit the race addendum in the first place and is beginning to believe I made no attempt to deceive them and, in fact, my reason for not submitting the addendum in the first place was out of an attempt to be scrupulously honest. I did not want to give X the impression that I believe I have faced hardship as a result of my race identification.

I wish X had contacted me directly with their concerns. If they had done so, all of this could have been avoided. I do not think it was right for X to contact various schools and raise questions about my honesty and integrity without involving me in some way in the process. I debated whether or not to make this post, and in the end I decided the following:

X decided to use LSD/LSN to gather information on me and reached a false conclusion in doing so. As such, I feel it is appropriate for me to make this one last final post on the same board from whence they gathered their initial information.

I’m really signing off this time. Thanks guys. It’s been a blast. Kick ass in 1L, and to school X – no hard feelings. Sometimes these misunderstandings happen. I’m all good with things now. I hope you are too.

shiveringjenny

« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2005, 06:27:34 PM »
holy f-ing *&^%, tex!  :o

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2005, 06:28:42 PM »
Tex, I'm glad it all worked out for you in the end.  I agree with you that School X should have consulted you first and feel as though it was totally unprofessional of them to circumvent you out of the loop until after talking to the other schools.  Best of luck in 1L wherever you decide to attend!

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2005, 06:30:02 PM »
Ick!  That is way not good.  I am certain that the adcomm (and all of us) learned a valuable lesson here.  I am certainly not going to change who I am at all, but how I say what I need to. (Diplomacy sometimes goes out the window when you feel strongly about something)

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2005, 06:31:19 PM »

So there you have it.  Big Tex called himself hispanic on his apps, and got URM status as a result, even though he's as white as snow.  Heck yeah these schools are going to feel hoodwinked, and I, for one, don't think he's heard the last of this.... not that he'll ever tell us about it.  Even if things smooth over now, 3 years from now when the ABA goes through his apps and sees "hispanic" checked next to his name, he'll be feeling the heat again.  That would suck to owe over $100K in student loans and be barred from practicing for ethical reasons.  
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

bradzwest

« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2005, 06:33:55 PM »
I'm shocked that people on this board are surprised that there is a degree of culpability for your posts on these boards.  As for Tex's situation...I think that ADCOMM would be up shite creek if he could prove he was damaged in any way by their inappropriate contacts with other schools.  Jesus...these people work at a law school!