Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 310951 times)

JDat45

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #2380 on: November 19, 2009, 07:44:32 PM »
I was wondering if HLS admission committee was gay friendly. I'm a gay AA male who wants to attend Howard and was thinking about coming out in my personal statement but I'm not sure if that will hurt or help me. I've heard that it isn't always a good idea to do that because certain schools aren't receptive to that type of personal statement and I was just wondering if Howard was one of those schools.

Howard is HUSL.

And you shouldn't base your decision on whether to come out because of a boost it may or many not give you. If you're gay, you're gay. If it is something relevant that adds to your decision to go to law school, disclose it. If not, don't.

I wasn't asking if I should do it for a boost. I'm asking if Howard is a gay friendly school. Coming out in your PS might not be a good idea even if it is relevant to my decision to go to law school. I just want to know if I should direct my PS towards that angle or not include it and just talk about other things.

I don't know if it is gay friendly or not. Black people, in general, are not very gay friendly, though. You see the nonsense going on at Morehouse right now? I'd say African Americans are very slow to embrace homosexuality - even among many educated and progressive blacks.

Not trying to start a flame war, but I fail to see the correlation between progression, education and homosexuality...IJS.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: November 19, 2009, 08:11:52 PM »
I was wondering if HLS admission committee was gay friendly. I'm a gay AA male who wants to attend Howard and was thinking about coming out in my personal statement but I'm not sure if that will hurt or help me. I've heard that it isn't always a good idea to do that because certain schools aren't receptive to that type of personal statement and I was just wondering if Howard was one of those schools.

Howard is HUSL.

And you shouldn't base your decision on whether to come out because of a boost it may or many not give you. If you're gay, you're gay. If it is something relevant that adds to your decision to go to law school, disclose it. If not, don't.

I wasn't asking if I should do it for a boost. I'm asking if Howard is a gay friendly school. Coming out in your PS might not be a good idea even if it is relevant to my decision to go to law school. I just want to know if I should direct my PS towards that angle or not include it and just talk about other things.

I don't know if it is gay friendly or not. Black people, in general, are not very gay friendly, though. You see the nonsense going on at Morehouse right now? I'd say African Americans are very slow to embrace homosexuality - even among many educated and progressive blacks.

Not trying to start a flame war, but I fail to see the correlation between progression, education and homosexuality...IJS.

um..ok.
YLS c/o 2009

skillmanlaw2

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2382 on: November 30, 2009, 02:30:11 PM »

What does the world need NOW is a matter of facts to deal with as a law student.
When the bills come in no questions or concerns about being gay are important for collection.

;)

donnajo

• View Profile
Howard University School of Law
« Reply #2383 on: March 05, 2010, 06:29:37 PM »
Hello All!

I am a newbie, so I don't know if this topic has already been posted. I applied to Howard for this fall.. are there any current/ prospective Howard Law students out there, that can offer their experience with Howard?

sonofapickle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Howard University School of Law
« Reply #2384 on: May 24, 2010, 01:54:31 PM »
Not even black law students go to Howard.

BrandiNikkale

• View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: July 05, 2011, 11:34:20 AM »
Hello,

I am considering Howard Law School and I was just wondering what is the general GPA/LSAT range for full ride scholarships? Would love to hear from some students of HU about the scholarships, financial aid, and overall experience at Howard.

Leviathan

• View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: July 08, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »
Hello,

I am considering Howard Law School and I was just wondering what is the general GPA/LSAT range for full ride scholarships? Would love to hear from some students of HU about the scholarships, financial aid, and overall experience at Howard.

I received a full ride from Howard with a 3.5+, 165+. I didn't actually attend HUSL, but I received a full scholarship. It was contingent on maintaining a high GPA each year.

I think you need to have a 3.5+, 160+ to get the full ride.

Paramedic

• View Profile
Re: Howard vs. GW
« Reply #2387 on: April 26, 2012, 04:13:58 AM »
My niece will graduate HLS with essentially those admission numbers this spring.

I mean were talking about how great howard is I applied there. How many of yall making comments seriously applied there. BTW I have a 3.88 (highest for any econ major by .27) and a 157 LSAT.

GALT:Yes there are many others. I will have no debt so I will be relaxed. I grew up 15 minutes away so it is home. I am politcally aligned with thw school so im comfertable. I can keep going but I do get your point and there are other factors in my favor. But still the reason Im going to howard is NO DEBT!!!! so its a moot point anyways.