Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 314084 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #2370 on: September 05, 2009, 10:35:35 AM »
Speaking of Howard's administrative problems:

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/0909/656323.html?ref=656323

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: September 05, 2009, 12:18:47 PM »

More power to the students. The administration at the school is F***ing terrible.

I always want to punch the kids at Yale complaining about the registrar's office. Like, seriously? At Yale, all my stuff went out on time at the first request. No matter how many times I needed my transcript sent they did it on time. They always made sure I got into a class I want. Kids complaining because they aren't servicing you with a smile on their faces need to attend howard for 6 months.
YLS c/o 2009

vansondon

« Reply #2372 on: September 05, 2009, 06:43:45 PM »

I'm so proud of the students!  Having attended Howard for undergrad, I know that the administration is simply understaffed and under-managed. I don't think the solution is all that difficult; if you admit more students, you need to hire and train more staff (it's all about meeting the demand). Foolish to think the administrative issues would change with the new President...

Isis

• Divinely Inspired & Victoriously Anointed!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: September 06, 2009, 12:21:29 AM »
I feel for the students. Having attended a HBCU also, the woes of an ill equipped administration-- simply put, it sucks! I have faith that things will work out for both HU & my alma mater. Hats off the the student body as well!

kyra44

• View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: September 06, 2009, 12:47:47 AM »

Question for current law students.

I am a 2009 graduate with a Finance degree. I am seeking employment before applying to law school.

I have a 2.9 GPA.  What score do I need on the LSAT to be competitive for Howard Law School?

Any other schools I should apply to with my GPA?

jsimp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2375 on: October 21, 2009, 12:48:04 PM »
I was wondering if HLS admission committee was gay friendly. I'm a gay AA male who wants to attend Howard and was thinking about coming out in my personal statement but I'm not sure if that will hurt or help me. I've heard that it isn't always a good idea to do that because certain schools aren't receptive to that type of personal statement and I was just wondering if Howard was one of those schools.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: October 22, 2009, 03:53:05 PM »
I was wondering if HLS admission committee was gay friendly. I'm a gay AA male who wants to attend Howard and was thinking about coming out in my personal statement but I'm not sure if that will hurt or help me. I've heard that it isn't always a good idea to do that because certain schools aren't receptive to that type of personal statement and I was just wondering if Howard was one of those schools.

Howard is HUSL.

And you shouldn't base your decision on whether to come out because of a boost it may or many not give you. If you're gay, you're gay. If it is something relevant that adds to your decision to go to law school, disclose it. If not, don't.
YLS c/o 2009

jsimp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2377 on: October 26, 2009, 11:58:18 AM »

Howard is HUSL.

And you shouldn't base your decision on whether to come out because of a boost it may or many not give you. If you're gay, you're gay. If it is something relevant that adds to your decision to go to law school, disclose it. If not, don't.

I wasn't asking if I should do it for a boost. I'm asking if Howard is a gay friendly school. Coming out in your PS might not be a good idea even if it is relevant to my decision to go to law school. I just want to know if I should direct my PS towards that angle or not include it and just talk about other things.

tophat09

• View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: October 26, 2009, 03:53:38 PM »
Hi all..after reading this thread from beginning to end, I have a couple questions for anyone willing to give an answer. I have applied to go to Howard Fall '10. I have completed one semester of law school at a different school already, but withdrew because I hated the atmosphere (probably not a good reason to withdraw, but because I was not comfortable with my surroundings, focusing on the curriculum was extremely difficult). I went to an HBCU for undergrad and thought I had enough of the "black college" life and therefore did not even apply to any HBCU law schools. I LEARNED A TOUGH LESSON! From day one at the school I attended I felt like an outcast and hated the feeling. I was a member of the school's BLSA and tried to maintain a balance through that organization, but it did not help. So after a full semester behind me and a few months into my second semester, I decided to withdraw from law school. I felt as if the legal profession was not for me even though it has been what I wanted to get into since I was younger. My grades were not bad at all, but as previously stated, I let my surroundings get the best of me. I want to do a fresh start as a 1L because although my grades were okay, I feel as if I made the grades to get through and beat the curve...My questions are as follows: 1. Does anyone think that my previous law school experience will hinder me from being admitted into Howard? 2. How good are my chances of getting into Howard with a 145 LSAT and 3.4 UGPA?

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: October 26, 2009, 08:54:48 PM »

Howard is HUSL.

I wasn't asking if I should do it for a boost. I'm asking if Howard is a gay friendly school. Coming out in your PS might not be a good idea even if it is relevant to my decision to go to law school. I just want to know if I should direct my PS towards that angle or not include it and just talk about other things.

I don't know if it is gay friendly or not. Black people, in general, are not very gay friendly, though. You see the nonsense going on at Morehouse right now? I'd say African Americans are very slow to embrace homosexuality - even among many educated and progressive blacks.
YLS c/o 2009