Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 287496 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #2350 on: May 03, 2009, 06:14:26 PM »
I agree with Esco in as much as "opportunities" /= placement.  The interview list at many top firms looks like this: t14 + Howard.  Now, they might hire only 1 or 2 people from Howard, but at least there's the opportunity.  And that opportunity doesn't exist at IUB.

I think IUB will get at least 1 or 2 people in top firms in NY or DC, almost every school in the T100 can. The issue with IUB (and Minnesota) is that a good number of their students will self select to stay in the area.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2351 on: May 03, 2009, 06:16:51 PM »
62% in NY v. State Avg. of 77% (39 takers), 76% in MD v. State Avg. of 77% (29 takers). Not a huge number of people sitting in either state, but those are the two biggest from LSAC and they account for about half of the class (68 of 140 JDs awarded).

What else do you expect from a Tier 3 law school?  Their employment is higher than other tier three is because the skin color of its students.  I don't know why some people try to deny the OBVIOUS truth.

For the same reason they think people with LSATs in the 150s and GPAs in the low 3s/high 2s are entitled to go to T25 schools based on skin color.

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: May 03, 2009, 06:47:55 PM »

For the same reason they think people with LSATs in the 150s and GPAs in the low 3s/high 2s are entitled to go to T25 schools based on skin color.

What I was saying was right around the line.  You're totally crossing the line (based on today's political correctness).  ;D   Especially when you used the word "entitle" or "entitlement." 

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2353 on: May 03, 2009, 09:50:48 PM »

What I was saying was right around the line.  You're totally crossing the line (based on today's political correctness).  ;D   Especially when you used the word "entitle" or "entitlement." 

Political correctness never meant much to me. I was always more one for getting down to business.

AMThinker

• AOL Instant Messenger - atduecetrey
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2354 on: May 07, 2009, 10:36:08 AM »
Esco,

Since you are already there (at Howard)....living the 1L life--what would be your best piece of advice (if anything) on how to prepare for Howard Law?
AMT
"Less Talk...More Action"

Esco

• View Profile
« Reply #2355 on: May 07, 2009, 09:36:33 PM »
I don't think you can prepare for law school.  My college professors told me to get drunk all summer prior to going.  Now that 1L year is over, i agree with that piece of advice.  However, these are some things that I personally did that may or may not have benefitted me. Start a journal and write you pure thoughts in a logically coherent way.  I think this enabled me to write well on exams (1st semester) because I was able to coherently and precisely convey my thoughts.  I also read Reading like a lawyer from Ruth Ann McKinney.  Pretty good read.  Getting to maybe is also a book that most law students and professors recommend.
I'm The Question and The Answer like A.I.

AMThinker

• AOL Instant Messenger - atduecetrey
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2356 on: May 10, 2009, 02:17:44 AM »
Thank you!
AMT
"Less Talk...More Action"

Ike734

• View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: May 21, 2009, 01:11:30 PM »
Hey Everyone
Iíll be going into my last year of University this fall and I am really interested in applying to Howard University School of Law. As a matter of fact, HU is my number one choice.  Right now, I have a 3.42 GPA. Iím pretty sure I can raise it to a 3.53 by the end of my fall semester. Iím also planning to take the LSAT in December
I read on the HU Law website that they begin reviewing applications on a rolling basis in October. My application will not be complete until around to beginning of January. How will this affect my chances of admissions into Howardís Law School?
By that time, I plan on having a 3.53 with a good LSAT (God willing).
What would be my chances of admissions with a 3.53 and...Letís say a 156 LSAT? :) :) :) :)

Thanks

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: May 21, 2009, 02:16:07 PM »
Ike, if those numbers hold up you probably will get in and most likely get some scholarship as well!!
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

chukoo321

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2359 on: May 21, 2009, 02:31:06 PM »
You should probably try to get your application done sooner if possible. Howard is super competitive and by january their classes are pretty much full unless 1 or top people drop out and that doesnt happen too much ....check out these stats...
# of Applications: 2217
# Admitted: 502
# Matriculated: 139
 if apply first thing in october even with not so good scores on the lsat and with awesome LOR's and a great PS you'll be a shoe in. they have low averagesbut everyone wants to apply cuz its in DC. The info i am giving is from what a recent howard grad told me. the general consensus for most schools defineetly have everything in by early dec. hope i could be of some help