Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 309837 times)

TheKidQ

• View Profile
Non-Black Student's Opportunities and Chances at Howard
« Reply #2330 on: March 26, 2009, 04:05:17 AM »
Hey everyone I am contemplating attending Howard next fall because I know they have a lot of great opportunities, a good faculty, and I like D.C. a lot but I wanted to know if anyone had any information on how non-black students chances are at getting interviews with the top firms that come to Howard, if they get summer and full-time opportunities from the big firms, and if they are as successful in general compared to black students being at an historically black school. Any info is well appreciated, thanks!

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
Re: Non-Black Student's Opportunities and Chances at Howard
« Reply #2331 on: March 26, 2009, 02:20:06 PM »
Hey everyone I am contemplating attending Howard next fall because I know they have a lot of great opportunities, a good faculty, and I like D.C. a lot but I wanted to know if anyone had any information on how non-black students chances are at getting interviews with the top firms that come to Howard, if they get summer and full-time opportunities from the big firms, and if they are as successful in general compared to black students being at an historically black school. Any info is well appreciated, thanks!

Your best bet will be to talk to the career service at Howard or better yet if you go on facebook and search for Howard School of Law, there are several Howard Student groups and alumni groups. You can look on there and ask the non minority Howard Law school students so you can hear it from the horse mouth to back up whatever you find out from the career service. I have talked to many Howard Law students/alumni by simply going through the group. They were all very helpful and did not mind the fact I randomely hit them up on facebook.

I am a URM, However I am interested in knowing how these non-minorities attending Howard are faring. My feeling is they have opportunites just the same but I dont have any facutal knowledge to back that up with. So update us and what you find out. Good luck!!
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

TheKidQ

• View Profile
Re: Non-Black Student's Opportunities and Chances at Howard
« Reply #2332 on: March 26, 2009, 07:04:46 PM »

Your best bet will be to talk to the career service at Howard or better yet if you go on facebook and search for Howard School of Law, there are several Howard Student groups and alumni groups. You can look on there and ask the non minority Howard Law school students so you can hear it from the horse mouth to back up whatever you find out from the career service. I have talked to many Howard Law students/alumni by simply going through the group. They were all very helpful and did not mind the fact I randomely hit them up on facebook.

I am a URM, However I am interested in knowing how these non-minorities attending Howard are faring. My feeling is they have opportunites just the same but I dont have any facutal knowledge to back that up with. So update us and what you find out. Good luck!!

Well I am a minority I guess just not a URM so I was wondering if the big firms only came to Howard to interview black students or only select black students for positions

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #2333 on: April 15, 2009, 08:35:08 PM »
Hello All,

HBCU law schools have successfully educated African American attorneys for SEVERAL centuries and they continue uphold this legacy into 2009.  Choosing to attend an HBCU for a culturally diverse experience is an admirable and honorable desire.  Please do not let anyone tell you differently.

Moreover, several law firms specifically target diverse law schools for minority candidates, which often INCREASES your likelihood of landing a great internship/job placement.

In regards to quality of education between NCCU Law v. Howard Law, the scores speak for themselves.  NCCU Law is the ONLY HBCU law school that is not in jeopardy of being affected by the new ABA bar passage rate standards.  NCCU Law has the highest bar passage rate of ALL FIVE HBCU law schools.  NCCU Law is an esteemed, nationally acclaimed institution in which you would receive a great legal experience that is rich in culture and history.  From the past Governor of NC (Mike Easley) to Willie Gary, NCCU Law continues to produce the best and brightest attorneys in the state of NC and the nation. ;D

Here is a break down of the most updated Bar Passage rates for the HBCU Law schools on the LSAC website.
1.  NCCU Law 82%
2.  Southern Law 63%
3.  Howard Law 62% 
4.  Texas Southern Law 56%
5.  FAMU Law 55%

Also, go take a look at the job placement rates on the LSAC website.  They also speak volumes.  Howard is a great school with a rich history (as all the HBCU law school are...).  However, by these scores and objectively speaking, it is currently not best. :-\  NCCU Law is currently best HBCU law school in the nation.  Be sure to go research for yourself!

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2006/07/24/daily4.html

lol

NCCU is NOT the top gun, Howard is. Head-to-head, Howard's students would wipe up the floor with students from every other HBCU in most categories, objective AND subjective, and employers know it. The only reason for the bar passage disparities is Howard grads' preferences for BigLaw firms usually located in the largest, most competitive markets. Even the public interest and midsized firms HULaw grads work for tend to be located in NY, IL and LA. Those markets are no duck-walk in terms of bar passage or competition with the best and brightest from elite schools.

Disclaimer: I am not saying that all of the best students come from higher ranked schools, and I am not saying that students with the best grades and test scores make the best lawyers. I staunchly disagree with those positions. But, by-and-large, the big markets come with the hardest competition and the most pressure. A Howard graduate might as well be from NYU, based on the competition he/she sees post graduation. 

PatentlyLegal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2334 on: April 18, 2009, 01:58:00 AM »
Hello All,

HBCU law schools have successfully educated African American attorneys for SEVERAL centuries and they continue uphold this legacy into 2009.  Choosing to attend an HBCU for a culturally diverse experience is an admirable and honorable desire.  Please do not let anyone tell you differently.

Moreover, several law firms specifically target diverse law schools for minority candidates, which often INCREASES your likelihood of landing a great internship/job placement.

In regards to quality of education between NCCU Law v. Howard Law, the scores speak for themselves.  NCCU Law is the ONLY HBCU law school that is not in jeopardy of being affected by the new ABA bar passage rate standards.  NCCU Law has the highest bar passage rate of ALL FIVE HBCU law schools.  NCCU Law is an esteemed, nationally acclaimed institution in which you would receive a great legal experience that is rich in culture and history.  From the past Governor of NC (Mike Easley) to Willie Gary, NCCU Law continues to produce the best and brightest attorneys in the state of NC and the nation. ;D

Here is a break down of the most updated Bar Passage rates for the HBCU Law schools on the LSAC website.
1.  NCCU Law 82%
2.  Southern Law 63%
3.  Howard Law 62% 
4.  Texas Southern Law 56%
5.  FAMU Law 55%

Also, go take a look at the job placement rates on the LSAC website.  They also speak volumes.  Howard is a great school with a rich history (as all the HBCU law school are...).  However, by these scores and objectively speaking, it is currently not best. :-\  NCCU Law is currently best HBCU law school in the nation.  Be sure to go research for yourself!

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2006/07/24/daily4.html

lol

NCCU is NOT the top gun, Howard is. Head-to-head, Howard's students would wipe up the floor with students from every other HBCU in most categories, objective AND subjective, and employers know it. The only reason for the bar passage disparities is Howard grads' preferences for BigLaw firms usually located in the largest, most competitive markets. Even the public interest and midsized firms HULaw grads work for tend to be located in NY, IL and LA. Those markets are no duck-walk in terms of bar passage or competition with the best and brightest from elite schools.

Disclaimer: I am not saying that all of the best students come from higher ranked schools, and I am not saying that students with the best grades and test scores make the best lawyers. I staunchly disagree with those positions. But, by-and-large, the big markets come with the hardest competition and the most pressure. A Howard graduate might as well be from NYU, based on the competition he/she sees post graduation. 

As a future graduate of NCCU Law, I can say that NCCU's bar passage rate would even be higher if those of us who take out-of-state bar exams was factored in.  Just last year, all 5 people who took the NY bar, passed it.  NCCU Law requires courses beyond the first year, mostly those subjects that are tested on the Multistate portion of the bar exam, which probably contributes to our high bar passage rate.  I think it's misleading to say that Howard students' bar passage rate is low because they tend to flock to states with major cities.  They're bar exams aren't that difficult if you look at the statistics for students who take the bar exam for the first time (NY Bar--July 2008--90% passage rate for students at ABA-approved law schools NOT in the state of NY). The statistics for the California Bar Exam are similar for first-time takers.  If you have a solid legal education, you should be able to pass any state bar exam (with the exception of Louisiana), it just so happens that NCCU grads do so at a higher rate than any other HBCU in the nation.

boogiedownbronx

• View Profile
Baltimore vs. Howard
« Reply #2335 on: April 27, 2009, 04:19:16 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, I believe both are Tier 3 schools.  Howard may have a stronger reputation, because its nationally known.  On the flip side I've talked with numerous people about University Baltimore and they had nothing but glowing remarks. Both schools seem to place well after graduation.  I'm not sure how Baltimore places in the DC market, where I will most likely be.  Does anyone have any advice on which school attend?   

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
Re: Baltimore vs. Howard
« Reply #2336 on: April 28, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »
If you plan to proactice in MD, Baltimore seems like an okay choice since UMD is the only other law school in MD. But if you plan on working in DC you might have better shot with Howard. Unless Baltimore is making you an offer you cannot refuese (like scholarship or something), Howard seems to be the best choice in my view.
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

Esco

• View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: April 29, 2009, 02:23:08 PM »
I am a Howard 1L and I am willing to answer any specific questions about Howard Law.  I have 2 exams left, so post your questions and I will respond after Monday May 4, 2009. 
I'm The Question and The Answer like A.I.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: April 30, 2009, 03:00:54 AM »
I'm in a interesting situation here...I didnt think I'd get into any schools much less with scholarship Offers. I'm a West coast guy, Love to stay and work in SF...not sure what Field I'm in but I'd love to be gainfully employed coming out of this

so far I have offers

Howard: 20K (22k Tuition)
USF: 26K (37,230K Tuition)
Santa Clara: 18.5K (38,040 Tuition)

The most significant offer here is Howard but factoring in that I could pretty much live Rent Free at either CA school..Its tough to weight these options here..Anyone got any insight on what to do in this situation

Howard...no question. Almost full scholy, a better eduacation with better opportunities, and higher salaries. Plus which would you prefer? SF? or D.C.? SF is nice, but in D.C. you don't even need a car. And you're close to NY, Boston, Philly, Virginia, Baltimore...the others are pretty good, but Howard is better.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: April 30, 2009, 09:00:21 AM »
If you are black and you didn't get into a top 25 school, my recommendation is go to Howard. There we go.
YLS c/o 2009