Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 299642 times)

legaleaglediva

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #2310 on: February 14, 2009, 06:37:11 PM »
Hello All,

HBCU law schools have successfully educated African American attorneys for SEVERAL centuries and they continue uphold this legacy into 2009.  Choosing to attend an HBCU for a culturally diverse experience is an admirable and honorable desire.  Please do not let anyone tell you differently.

Moreover, several law firms specifically target diverse law schools for minority candidates, which often INCREASES your likelihood of landing a great internship/job placement.

In regards to quality of education between NCCU Law v. Howard Law, the scores speak for themselves.  NCCU Law is the ONLY HBCU law school that is not in jeopardy of being affected by the new ABA bar passage rate standards.  NCCU Law has the highest bar passage rate of ALL FIVE HBCU law schools.  NCCU Law is an esteemed, nationally acclaimed institution in which you would receive a great legal experience that is rich in culture and history.  From the past Governor of NC (Mike Easley) to Willie Gary, NCCU Law continues to produce the best and brightest attorneys in the state of NC and the nation. ;D

Here is a break down of the most updated Bar Passage rates for the HBCU Law schools on the LSAC website.
1.  NCCU Law 82%
2.  Southern Law 63%
3.  Howard Law 62% 
4.  Texas Southern Law 56%
5.  FAMU Law 55%

Also, go take a look at the job placement rates on the LSAC website.  They also speak volumes.  Howard is a great school with a rich history (as all the HBCU law school are...).  However, by these scores and objectively speaking, it is currently not best. :-\  NCCU Law is currently best HBCU law school in the nation.  Be sure to go research for yourself!

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2006/07/24/daily4.html

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: February 14, 2009, 10:11:07 PM »
Howard is a great school with a rich history (as all the HBCU law school are...).  However, by these scores and objectively speaking, it is currently not best. :-\  NCCU Law is currently best HBCU law school in the nation.

That's a good one  :D.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: February 16, 2009, 01:50:54 AM »
Isn't it true that Howard Law grads invariably take the D.C. and NY BARS, whereas NCCU Grads take the relatively easier NC BAR? Or am I wrong about the relative difficulties of the BAR exams?

beverly

• View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: February 16, 2009, 07:26:20 PM »
Well what I did notice about NCCU from the ABA data sheet is that most of the law students are not black. I found this to be rather peculiar. Just like I would find it odd to see more black students than white students at Georgetown or GW. Something about that does not sit right with me, and that is why I did not apply there. I mean an HBCU has alot of meaning and history behind it, and I went to one for undergrad, and I think it would be a sad day if they all vanished. I decided that would rather wait and get my scores up rather than apply to NCCU. I guess my point is that it makes me wonder if the non blacks who do attend NCCU only went there because they had low lsat scores and could not get in anywhere els
Cumulative G.P.A Undergrad: 3.6

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: March 03, 2009, 12:22:06 AM »
Isn't it true that Howard Law grads invariably take the D.C. and NY BARS, whereas NCCU Grads take the relatively easier NC BAR? Or am I wrong about the relative difficulties of the BAR exams?

I can't speak to the NC bar, but that NY bar is NOOOOOOOOOO JOKE!!! 

And to somewhat answer your question, from all accounts that I have come across a substantial amount of Howard grads take the NY bar, so yeah that seems to be correct.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: March 03, 2009, 03:03:30 PM »

I can't speak to the NC bar, but that NY bar is NOOOOOOOOOO JOKE!!! 

And to somewhat answer your question, from all accounts that I have come across a substantial amount of Howard grads take the NY bar, so yeah that seems to be correct.

So then, it would make sense that BAR passage rates are somewhat skewed by the differences in difficulty between state BAR exams. This is an important note that gets overlooked when speaking of relative BAR passage rates by ethnicity. I tend to think that Black law students, in general, seek big city jobs and are more likely to want to live in the most competitive markets, particularly in the east.

And, yes, the NY BAR is notoriously more difficult than are most others, excluding CA, the nation's toughest.

After NY, I would assume FL, IL, D.C., TX, MA, GA, and LA have the toughest...ironically, the most populated states and metro areas.

So why doesn't anyone control for exam difficulty when studying and examining BAR passage rates? It would appear that ethnic minorities would still not do as well as Whites, but fare much better than is currently indicated. And it would seem to debunk the theory that NCCU grads are better prepared for law practice than are Howard graduates. NCCU grads are taking an easier BAR, and they are primarily White, so the usual disparities in BAR passage nationally and by ethnicity contribute somewhat to the statistic, as well.

In other words...NCCU better than Howard Law? I DON'T THINK SO!!

Anyways, that is somewhat off-topic.

As far as Whites attending HBCU's, I won't touch it, b/c I have debated this point with someone else, and the guy called me an "Uncle Tom" for my open-minded view on it.   

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: March 03, 2009, 06:50:34 PM »
MA

:D.  Sorry, I've just never heard anyone call the Passachussets bar hard :D.

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: March 05, 2009, 04:00:14 AM »
MA

Conjecture...based on a friend who took it. But it was probably just him.

"That One"

• View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: March 05, 2009, 05:45:01 PM »
MA

Or the DC bar

LawDog3

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: March 06, 2009, 12:01:40 AM »
MA

Or the DC bar

Oh, well...it depends on the student, right? I know people who sucked at the December LSAT but got high scores in June...like ME. For one obvious reason, this is believable and, even understandable. Same with BAR's, it depends on who's taking them and under what conditions.

But the others are certainly tough. So...I got it mostly right. And the poitn it, NCCU Law's BAR passage rate cannot be compared with that of Howard, due to differences in BAR difficulty. D.C. is perceivably harder than that of N. Carolina. Whether it's hard compared to NY or Cali, or Arkansas, doesn't really matter here.