Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 287485 times)

UFBoldAsLove

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Gators.
    • View Profile
Re: Howard v American
« Reply #2230 on: April 02, 2008, 12:29:20 PM »
I actually say Howard in this situation.
Vandy 1L... really?

MsNaNa

• Put your lifetime in between the paper lines...
    • View Profile
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #2231 on: April 21, 2008, 12:50:01 PM »
Hey is anyone still waiting to hear from FAMU?
Life is a lesson... but you learn it when you're through!

« Reply #2232 on: April 21, 2008, 03:22:55 PM »
If I attend Howard, how good will my job prospects be coming out of there, also, how portable is the Howard degree?

If you graduate at the top of the class, you'll have lower top 14 job prospects. If you graduate in the middle or bottom, you'll be unemployed. Howard degree is very portable.

Lawyer: Hey Galt, where'd you go to school?

Galt: Howard

Lawyer: That's a great school. A damn fine school.

I'm sure its the same.

I attend Howard and the statement about middle and end of the pack students is a falsehood or bad attempt at humor. 

Nearly everybody gets jobs by graduation.  Top 1/3 gets market, easy.  Top half still can but it requires alot of work i.e. great personality, real world experience, connections, and/or persistence.  As mentioned already, there are so many firms that visit almost every week that you will have plenty opportunity to sell yourself and get your foot in the door.  Bottom half has a more difficult time but still find jobs though they may not be high paying jobs.  Nonetheless, many Howard students who do not get firm jobs end up working for the government (55-80k).  I hear of very few leaving unemployed, and generally the ones who do did not take advantage of the myriad opportunities we are presented; the amount of opportunities we have literally borders on overkill.  I could do a firm lunch, firm dinner, and interview with three firms in one day - as a 1L.  And while it is true that that does not constitute an offer, many of us do get offers and the firms that come are earnestly looking for prepared candidates.     

As for the comments about student body quality being based on LSAT: It's just hogwash.  I can count on one hand the schools I would attend over Howard.  In terms of black student populations, you would be hard pressed to find a group of black students outside of HYN that is as deep in talent as those that comprise Howard.    White people (Asians, Hispanics, and Arabs) get jobs at Howard too, fyi (good ones!).

Half of Howard grads fail the bar.  The student body quality may very well be excellent at the top, but it is not very deep at all.  Every relevant number is low (GPA, LSAT, bar passage).  Job opportunities are probably better than anywhere outside the 1st tier though.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: April 21, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
If I attend Howard, how good will my job prospects be coming out of there, also, how portable is the Howard degree?

If you graduate at the top of the class, you'll have lower top 14 job prospects. If you graduate in the middle or bottom, you'll be unemployed. Howard degree is very portable.

Lawyer: Hey Galt, where'd you go to school?

Galt: Howard

Lawyer: That's a great school. A damn fine school.

I'm sure its the same.

I attend Howard and the statement about middle and end of the pack students is a falsehood or bad attempt at humor. 

Nearly everybody gets jobs by graduation.  Top 1/3 gets market, easy.  Top half still can but it requires alot of work i.e. great personality, real world experience, connections, and/or persistence.  As mentioned already, there are so many firms that visit almost every week that you will have plenty opportunity to sell yourself and get your foot in the door.  Bottom half has a more difficult time but still find jobs though they may not be high paying jobs.  Nonetheless, many Howard students who do not get firm jobs end up working for the government (55-80k).  I hear of very few leaving unemployed, and generally the ones who do did not take advantage of the myriad opportunities we are presented; the amount of opportunities we have literally borders on overkill.  I could do a firm lunch, firm dinner, and interview with three firms in one day - as a 1L.  And while it is true that that does not constitute an offer, many of us do get offers and the firms that come are earnestly looking for prepared candidates.     

As for the comments about student body quality being based on LSAT: It's just hogwash.  I can count on one hand the schools I would attend over Howard.  In terms of black student populations, you would be hard pressed to find a group of black students outside of HYN that is as deep in talent as those that comprise Howard.    White people (Asians, Hispanics, and Arabs) get jobs at Howard too, fyi (good ones!).

The idea is hyperbole, but the point still stands: jobs opps for Howard students suck if they aren't in the top of the class.
YLS c/o 2009

cd08

• View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: April 21, 2008, 06:34:42 PM »
Yes, but this is not unique to Howard: besides t14 schools,job opps suck for anyone at any school who is not at the top of their class. Howard does no worse than anybody else and this is evident by their employment rate-- numbers don’t lie!

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: April 21, 2008, 07:59:40 PM »
Yes, but this is not unique to Howard: besides t14 schools,job opps suck for anyone at any school who is not at the top of their class. Howard does no worse than anybody else and this is evident by their employment rate-- numbers don’t lie!

I don't understand. What exactly does the employment rate tell us? 
YLS c/o 2009

cd08

• View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: April 21, 2008, 08:49:16 PM »
...What else would an employment rate tell you? It tells you that HU grads get jobs; virtually the whole class is employed 9mths after graduation. I said this because someone said that if you’re not at the top of your class you'll be unemployed; obviously that is not true, and the employment rate proves it.

So, obviously the opportunity for a job—not necessarily BigLaw—is there wherever you stand in the class, although I won’t contest that it will be significantly harder to find employment if you’re at the bottom—but isn’t this true for most schools?

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: April 21, 2008, 09:28:51 PM »
job opps suck /= no job opps

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: April 28, 2008, 11:55:33 AM »
did (s)he really say "so obliviously?"  :D :D :D
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

cd08

• View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: April 28, 2008, 12:27:23 PM »
 :D Lol clearly I meant “obviously”!