Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 302317 times)

user80

• View Profile
Re: Anyone with personal experience choosing Howard w/ $ over T14?
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2005, 08:25:30 AM »
OK, so I know you were asking for someone with experience with this question who doesn't just want to give their personal opinion...and I have no experience with this question, and I'm just going to give you my personal opinion.  Sorry :)

No problem - To be honest, the opinions of my peers faced with similar dilemmas could prove very helpful.  I was a bit frustrated when I posted the message.  Thanks for your comments - You raise several good points.  Particularly, the question of what better to invest in than my education?  You're right.  The truth is, I was soooooo happy when I received the letter of admission from Georgetown.  It was a reach and I half expected to be rejected.  When I received Howard's letter with the scholarship award, I was surprised, but not ecstatic.  It wasn't until I visited Howard and spoke with a few students that I started to see what an opportunity it could present.

That said, the last thing that I ever wanted to do was attend a law school where I HAD to place well (top 10%).  I plan to put 110% into being successful in law school, but I'm not naive/arrogant enough to believe that everyone else there isn't just as capable and determined.

Here, do this for me.  Think of five types of jobs that you'd like to have 10 years from now.  Let's say this list includes: 1)big law firms, 2)small/medium size law firms, 3)governmen agencies, 4)in-house counsels, and something else.  Go to the websites of these types of employers.  You will find many, many more Georgetown grads than Howard grads.  Don't assume that public interest/government type jobs aren't snobby about what schools they hire from.  Many are even more elitist than big law firms.

In the 5-10 years following law school, I would like to be employed in the following:

1) self employed - using my BS in EE, MBA and/or JD
2) Consulting
3) real estate investing/development
4) working in house for a corporation
5) small/medium sized firm

I'm not really all that interested in big law, but I am into big $$$ - Just kidding.  But, I'd be open to and able to stick it out in big law if necessary to repay loans or to maintain a certain lifestyle.  It's hard to say what my priorities will be then.  I certainly value my free time and have interests outside of work and school.  I also value having a comfortable lifestyle - I know that's a relative term and I've considered what "comfortable" means to me.

Thanks for sharing your 2 cents V00Jeff  ;)

loryivey

• AOL Instant Messenger - loryivey
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2005, 09:17:55 AM »
I put in my deposit at Howard yesterday.  I literally had a panic attack in the car because I am not sure that going to a Tier 3 school is the right decision, but I really do think that the additional debt is not worth it, unless you're sure you will work in a big law job.  I have friends at the law school, and know several people who went to my university who did really well at HUSL, and I really felt comfortable there, but still I'm really anxious about the whole decision.

The one thing I'll say about Howard is that I do not know how realistic it is to say I'll stay in the top 10% of the class, but basically if I don't, I'll lose a portion of my scholarship, which pretty much makes it hard to not be at least TRYING to stay in the top of the class. I know I'll be working my butt off either way, b/c that's just how I am, so I may as well at least have a free first year of school, if I don't end up keeping the whole scholarship.

My dilemna was a little different because I was offered a significant scholarship at another school (top 25) but I'd have to take out 50K of extra loans to go there even with the scholarship.

If you decide on Howard, do let me know.  Either way, I'll be interested to know where you'll be since I'm in DC.  Are you doing the Lawyer's Committee for Civil Rights summer prep?  I heard its a really good way of getting in gear.

Good luck!

HBCU.EDU

Re: Howard University's Moot Court Team Wins National Competition
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2005, 08:35:09 PM »
Today, I learned about some GREAT News In Kappa Alpha Psi, Fraternity,
Incorporated that will make the history books.

"Black College WireThe Howard University Law School's moot court team took
first place in the American Bar Association Mock Trial Competition, the first
team representing a historically black college or university to do so."

Three NUPES at Howard Law School On University Law School's moot court team
that Beats Harvard at National Moot Court Competition.  Two of the Brothers are
actual blood Brothers.

Bro. Errick D. Simmons- is president of the Howard University School of Law
Class of 2005 and served as Team Captain.  Delta Delta Chapter (1997) Jackson
State University.

Bro. Derrick Simmons- is Chief Financial Officer for the Student Bar
Association at Howard University.  Delta Delta Chapter (1997) Jackson State
University.

Bro. Chris Stewart- is the Vice President for the Student Bar Association at
Howard University. Beta Iota Chapter (1997) Xavier University.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2005, 08:36:27 PM »
so what... Harvard will get them next year!  ;D
Look to the left -- Look to the right

user80

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2005, 09:06:57 AM »
If you decide on Howard, do let me know.  Either way, I'll be interested to know where you'll be since I'm in DC.  Are you doing the Lawyer's Committee for Civil Rights summer prep?  I heard its a really good way of getting in gear.

I've decided to pay the seat deposit at Howard and feel pretty good about it.  I think Howard is a great school and it fits with my personal needs and career goals.  Congrats to you on your decision, as well!  I hope to see you this fall or perhaps even before then, if you're in the DC area.

Are you considering the summer Intro to Legal Reasoning Program?  It sounds like a great opportunity.  Did the flyer leave you with th impression that there are 4 meetings each week or alternate sessions that meet only once a week.  Four meetings/week sounds like a bit much.  I'll be working full time through July and now that I am done with my Master's, I am looking forward to a little break before starting up in the fall.  Still, I think this would be a good opportunity and could possibly open some networking opportunities.

Let me know if your sending in the application.  I think I may send it in at least to find out more info.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2005, 10:23:36 AM »
The Simmons brothers are twins.  I know their mother is proud!!
Think before you speak.

sweatsandtees

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2005, 01:37:23 PM »
Hey Mila (user80),
Do you have a BS in EE? If you do, me too!! Well I will come April 30th.

Anywho, if you do, girl all I can say is this: GO TO GEORGETOWN!!! You will have the magic combo at graduation: you are a Black female (another assumption) with a science/technical degree and a Georgetown JD. Loans, schmloans. You will be in so much demand (assuming that you have a fairly high rank in LS) that you can definitely get the best jobs and pay those loans easy. And it seems like you want to do IP since you say you want to use your EE degree so you would be a great fit in any company, especially those that want "diversity" amongst their employees.

So I will reiterate. if you have any time to still put in the deposit for Gtown, I would say do so.

But that is just my blurb. Oh and by the way Congrats on your acceptances.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 13, 2005, 08:14:05 PM »
Go to Georgetown. This is an easy decision...
Look to the left -- Look to the right

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2005, 12:27:09 PM »
Just called Howard to let them know my deposit will be in on Monday.  Now I have a few more months to think about it.  This process is so expensive...
The George Washington University Law School c/o 2008

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2005, 12:58:42 PM »
Just called Howard to let them know my deposit will be in on Monday.  Now I have a few more months to think about it.  This process is so expensive...

I know that you'll  make the best decision though…glad that you’re putting the seat deposit @ HU as well in case the finaid situation doesn’t work out @ GW
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...