Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 287421 times)

mash1

• View Profile
Re: Catholic or Howard
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2005, 05:47:50 PM »
well i have friends who went to school in the area (the institute of art and case) and some of them had problems with the police on campus b/c they're constantly afraid of folks from East Cleveland coming thru and wrecking the place. its not that different from other city campuses i've visited though. i guess howard would be different b/c its in the hood, and the school is black too. so you can't really do the whole racial profiling, pull over every black man you see type of thing.

Ah...I see. Maybe it will help that I'm female,lol we'll see though

user80

• View Profile
Anyone with personal experience choosing Howard w/ $ over T14?
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2005, 09:05:21 AM »
Can anyone share a personal experience of someone who was faced with the decision between Howard w/ $ and a T14 w/o any?  My dilemma is this - Often people assume (generally speaking) that a JD from a T14 provides more opportunities than one from Howard.  However, one could argue that due to the debt incurred at the T14 vs. (in my case) practically none at Howard, a student could be more limited with the JD from a T14 because he/she would almost have to go to work in big law or into a (low paying) public/government situation, as the T14 (in this case) has a solid loan repayment program.  That rules out career tracks that fall in the middle of the pack.  Howard, although a third tier school, gets attention from firms who would not otherwise visit similarly ranked schools.  That said, the school also has a great alumni network. 

Has anyone selected Howard over a T14 or, conversely, rejected a full ride (particularly from Howard) for the full loan package at a T14?  Am I insane for even considering it?

Please, I'm not really interested in personal opinions or negative commentary - I have heard more of those than I care to consider - but I would greatly appreciate any first hand knowledge of someone's actual experience.

Thank you kindly,
Mila.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone with personal experience choosing Howard w/ $ over T14?
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2005, 02:35:44 PM »
The best advice that I can give you is to visit Howard Law and visit the T14 that youíre considering going to. Sit in on a class, converse with some of the students on the yard and see what they have to say.. meet with professors who are directly involved in the field that you want to go intoÖ

Congrats on your acceptances by the way.. the scholarship to Howard is something to be proud of.. and regardless of what some people may think.. I do believe that Howard should be ranked higher.. I really believe that itís ranking is based on the fact that a lot of people in our society donít value the education of an HBCU..

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Howard University's Moot Court Team Wins National Competition
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2005, 03:10:59 PM »
I felt that this deserved itís own thread ;D

The Howard University Law School, Huver I. Brown Trial Advocacy Moot Court Team triumphed April 2 at the American Bar Association Mock Trial Competition when it was the first team representing an HBCU in the 15-year history of the contest to take first place.

Eighteen law schools from around the nation, including the two-time reigning champion Harvard University, competed in this invitation only event. Chris Stewart, a third year law student and Huver I. Brown team member, believes his team's win was well deserved.

"It solidified the fact that although others think we are a third tier law school we are the best trial advocates," Stewart said. "No mathematical equation can calculate our excellence in trial advocacy." Tiers with first being the best and so forth rank Law schools. Stewart was actually named best advocate over all competitors in the competition.

While the Huver I. Brown team is composed of 20 law students who are in their second and third year, the tournament hosted only teams of four. In addition to Stewart: Adonna Bannister, Nisha Brooks and Derrick Simmons also represented the Howard Law School at the event.

These members of the team at the mock trial competition were chosen through a series of competitions. First, open slots for the Howard's moot court team are filled through an intra-school competition at the end of the spring semester. Once the team is chosen, in the fall semester the members compete among themselves to select who will represent the university at tournaments.

Errick D. Simmons, captain of the moot court team, said that the team worked hard to attain the recognition they are now receiving.

"Our success is due to our faith in each other as teammates, our diligent preparation and our belief that we will do whatever is necessary to represent our school and our community to the best of our abilities," Simmons said.

What really stood out to Simmons about the team's win was that it was in the midst of so many other noteworthy competitors. When the team advanced, Simmons said the announcer had to spell out the Howard so that the audience would not mistakenly think that Harvard University was being referred to.

Competing against such excellent teams is what made winning all the more special to Nisha Brooks, third year law student.

"The team we won against was good and we were just a little better," Brooks said. "It wasn't a slam dunk. It wasn't easy, we put in a lot of work, time, and a lot of late nights."

Team member, Derrick C. Simmons, expressed great excitement about his participation in the event.

"We are ecstatic about being able to contribute to the legacy of Howard law," Derrick said. He is appreciative of the backing the university community has provided. "I love Patrick Swygert for his vision, Dean [Kurt] Schmoke for his leadership of the law school, and faculty, staff, and students for their continued support."

The Huver I. Brown team has competed in four competitions this year and placed well in all of them. Another group of Huver I. Brown team members placed first in the eastern regional competition for the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA). Starting today and continuing to Sunday, April 10, the team will be competing in the association's national competition in West Palm Beach, Fla.

Reginald McGahee, Dean of Admissions at the law school and Huver I. Brown team member, is proud of the direction that the team is taking.

"As a former member to know that excellencies still present and is being surpasses makes me feel great," McGahee said. "The world knows what we have already known, one cannot tell by applications the passion, drive, determination and professionalism an individual has--we produce students with these attributes."
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

HBCU.EDU

Re: Howard University's Moot Court Team Wins National Competition
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2005, 03:16:05 PM »
cool........very good! I love to see HBCUs represent! We will just have to take our respect.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2005, 03:36:00 PM »
Way to kick Harvard in the teeth!

F*ckin 1st tier law school....[shaking head & laughs]
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Ladyday

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2005, 03:55:02 PM »
When the team advanced, Simmons said the announcer had to spell out the Howard so that the audience would not mistakenly think that Harvard University was being referred to.

Funny. Mofo's we're probably like  :o. That's good *&^% though.

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2005, 03:56:07 PM »
Wow congrats to Howard... (BUT NO NEED TO BASH Tier 1's!) >:(
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2005, 03:58:02 PM »
You're right, Howard already took care of that.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2005, 04:10:31 PM »
Hardy Har Har Sands. Lets just be happy that BLACK people kicked ass and took names Geez. :P
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll