Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 299928 times)

mikee1186

• View Profile
NC Central Law
« Reply #2220 on: February 19, 2008, 05:12:46 PM »
I am posting on this board because I know NC Central is a historically black school and I thought I could get some good insight.

I am interested in the school and and considering applying and attending (my grades and LSAT should get me it....I hope  :-\). It has a good reputation from what I can tell.

I was hoping to get some further thoughts about the school.
Anything that is particularly good or bad?

Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Principled.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fundamentals, period.
    • View Profile
Re: NC Central Law
« Reply #2221 on: February 19, 2008, 09:37:55 PM »
I don't have any truly informative notes about NCCU for you, but I will say I've heard nothing but good things about the school.

Question, are you from NC? or planning to practice in NC?

"(s)he's arguing...(s)he's making an argument."

"...I'm so ready to promise my all & I'm so ready to give 'til the day that my life is no more... I'll be everything that this woman could possibly be...cause I'm ready to be like the olden days when commitment was golden" ~Chrisette Michele

mikee1186

• View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: February 19, 2008, 09:49:24 PM »
I am in TN and I plan to probably practice in TN. I am from Knoxville. I don't have the grades to get into Vandy, I already got rejected by UT, and my only other option here is way out in Memphis. Memphis is a good school for sure, and I should get in, but I am just looking for some other options.

Principled.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fundamentals, period.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: February 20, 2008, 12:35:22 PM »
You may want to look into their percentages on students who find jobs in other states.

Another thing I'd look into is the strength in the area of law I plan to practice.

"(s)he's arguing...(s)he's making an argument."

"...I'm so ready to promise my all & I'm so ready to give 'til the day that my life is no more... I'll be everything that this woman could possibly be...cause I'm ready to be like the olden days when commitment was golden" ~Chrisette Michele

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: February 20, 2008, 01:27:35 PM »
I am from NC and I know quite a few older people that went to NCCU. NCCU really does have a great reputation in NC and it would not be extremely difficult for you to get a job in the state. Most NCCU grads don't practice outside the state. The NCCU name doesn't really carry that far in other places so I'm not sure how hard it would be to find a job in TN. It might be best to talk to a current student and see what they think. NCCU also has a very strong and succesful alumni base here in NC.

NCCU has 11 electives that they require on top of the standard classes all law students take which to me is a lot. Also, the attrition rate is really high for first year students with quite a few being let go after first semester grades.

There is positive and negative to say about every school. But NCCU really is a great school in NC and I love Durham (I live there).

itsalawworldafterall

• View Profile
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #2225 on: March 01, 2008, 07:56:12 AM »
I got waitlisted at Howard and I am wondering if there is anything that I can do to increase my chances of acceptance.  I've spoken to the Dean about my being waitlisted, but I am wondering if I should do anything else.

Advice needed.  :-\

El Presidente

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #2226 on: March 25, 2008, 03:58:42 PM »
If I attend Howard, how good will my job prospects be coming out of there, also, how portable is the Howard degree?

If you graduate at the top of the class, you'll have lower top 14 job prospects. If you graduate in the middle or bottom, you'll be unemployed. Howard degree is very portable.

Lawyer: Hey Galt, where'd you go to school?

Galt: Howard

Lawyer: That's a great school. A damn fine school.

I'm sure its the same.

I attend Howard and the statement about middle and end of the pack students is a falsehood or bad attempt at humor. 

Nearly everybody gets jobs by graduation.  Top 1/3 gets market, easy.  Top half still can but it requires alot of work i.e. great personality, real world experience, connections, and/or persistence.  As mentioned already, there are so many firms that visit almost every week that you will have plenty opportunity to sell yourself and get your foot in the door.  Bottom half has a more difficult time but still find jobs though they may not be high paying jobs.  Nonetheless, many Howard students who do not get firm jobs end up working for the government (55-80k).  I hear of very few leaving unemployed, and generally the ones who do did not take advantage of the myriad opportunities we are presented; the amount of opportunities we have literally borders on overkill.  I could do a firm lunch, firm dinner, and interview with three firms in one day - as a 1L.  And while it is true that that does not constitute an offer, many of us do get offers and the firms that come are earnestly looking for prepared candidates.     

As for the comments about student body quality being based on LSAT: It's just hogwash.  I can count on one hand the schools I would attend over Howard.  In terms of black student populations, you would be hard pressed to find a group of black students outside of HYN that is as deep in talent as those that comprise Howard.    White people (Asians, Hispanics, and Arabs) get jobs at Howard too, fyi (good ones!).

ksolo97

• View Profile
Howard v American
« Reply #2227 on: April 02, 2008, 11:17:21 AM »
Got into Howard and American but Howard is offering an almost full ride scholarship. I live in the DC/MD Area but being around the country in the last 5 years. Hence, there can be a possibility of relocating in the future although minimal now. I have always loved to attend American U. I am so confused, help, help, help.

"That One"

• View Profile
Re: Howard v American
« Reply #2228 on: April 02, 2008, 11:54:44 AM »
I say Howard over American, especially with the scholarship.  Howard places well all over the country and I think it has more name recognition than American. 

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
Re: Howard v American
« Reply #2229 on: April 02, 2008, 12:17:30 PM »
Howard does not place well all over the country.  It is unfair to egregiously mislead this person because you are trying to hype up your school.  If one does very well at Howard, there will be options, but American is the way to go money or not.