Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 306234 times)

TheLawDawg

• View Profile
Re: FAMU-UPDATE TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE
« Reply #2100 on: September 19, 2007, 02:02:50 PM »
Does anyone know anything about FAMU? According to their website they are provisionally accredited by the ABA, But I really haven't found any other information about the school, its LSAT/GPA medians or anything. I may be relocating to the Orlando area and wanted as much information as possible. ALSO, I WAS WONDERING WHY THEY DON'T HAVE A PROFILE ON LSAC.ORG, usually from what i can remember, even provisional schools have a profile on there.

UPDATE TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE!!!
I was really seriously thinking about applying to FAMU, but check this blog out from law students and faculty at the school. THIS IS NOT GOOD!!
http://rattlernation.blogspot.com/2007/01/interim-dean-and-associate-dean-bolt.html

Do not, I repeat DO NOT apply or accept admission to the FLORIDA A&M UNIVERSITY COLLEGE of LAW. You would be better off going to TSU, Southern, NCCU, Howard or Barry. FAMU is in trouble.

Because?

This should be reason enough...but there are others..

Suit against FAMU in the works
An Orlando lawyer is preparing a lawsuit on behalf of several students who were recently academically dismissed from the FAMU College of Law. After the students complained, FAMU offered appeals hearings two weeks ago, but they were not the "evidentiary" hearings laid out in the student handbook, said attorney David Maxwell (left), who attended the hearings with six of his student-clients. Two of those students were allowed to continue their studies, but the other four were not, despite having academic records that were as good or better, Maxwell said.

Among other points, Maxwell told The Gradebook the suit will allege the law school is not complying with American Bar Association accreditation standards. (The law school, of course, is still seeking full accreditation.) He said he's had inquiries from other dismissed students, and is considering a class-action suit. Potential defendants include FAMU, the ABA and the U.S. Department of Education, he said.

- Ron Matus, state education reporter

Other reasons include...

The FAMU COL has been open since 2002 and they are now on their 4th Dean. That alone should be a concern for a prospective 1L. They have no director of admission, no academic support faculty, no career planning and placement staff, no director of information technology. They are loosing faculty at an alarming rate and are unable to recruit full time faculty.

TITCR.  As much as I hate to say it, FAMU's in big time trouble.   Please don't even think about applying.  The lawsuit shold be interesting, although I really don't think it will be successful against the ABA or Dept. of Ed.     Some other guy at another school tried that but later dismissed the claims against them. 

I don't think that Maxwell is looking to go after the ABA as much as he is going after FAMU or DOE. He may be looking for damages but I don't see it.

Nowhere Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • You know who is a Blackstar? Who? Me!
    • View Profile
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #2101 on: September 19, 2007, 03:23:48 PM »
The FAMU COL has been open since 2002 and they are now on their 4th Dean. That alone should be a concern for a prospective 1L. They have no director of admission, no academic support faculty, no career planning and placement staff, no director of information technology. They are loosing faculty at an alarming rate and are unable to recruit full time faculty.

Dean - Hired (Leroy Pernell formerly of Northern Illinois University School of Law)

Director of Admission - Derrien Bonney
Dean of Admission - Mweni U. Ekpo

Academic Support - Edward Parson (formerly of University of Wisconsin School Of Law)

Career Planning - Kathy Payne (I actually got an internship because of her during the summer. Working on the next one.)

Information Technology - Angela Moss

Umm... I don't know where you are getting your info from.

Second, Professor James Smith has been the only faculty that has resigned in nearly 2-3 years.

Is the school perfect? Hell no.

But the problem with the perception of the school are rumors and incorrect information.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to come here. But some didn't have a choice.

But when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out, in!

lalalagirl007

• Sr. Citizen
  • fierceness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: December 10, 2007, 05:31:05 PM »
Any HUSL 1Ls out there? How was your first semester? Are you enjoying the experience? Any advice and stories would be most appreciated by this "0L"!  :)

Merqutio

• View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: December 16, 2007, 10:46:07 AM »
Can anyone share their experiences with the admissions process for Howard? I sent my certification letter to the school in October, and I just received an e-mail update from admissions saying that they haven't received the certification form yet.  ???
In: GSU, St John's, Marquette, Baltimore, Mercer, California Western, Syracuse, Cooley, NYLS, Barry, Florida Coastal
Out:
WL:
Pending: Howard, McGeorge, Stetson, Villanova, Denver, Albany

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: December 16, 2007, 01:09:34 PM »
Can anyone share their experiences with the admissions process for Howard? I sent my certification letter to the school in October, and I just received an e-mail update from admissions saying that they haven't received the certification form yet.  ???

Um, resend it. Howard is trifling. You have to really send everything, follow up...don't wait for them to acknowledge that they got it. They lose stuff, they aren't very organized.
YLS c/o 2009

lalalagirl007

• Sr. Citizen
  • fierceness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: December 16, 2007, 01:55:01 PM »

Um, resend it. Howard is trifling. You have to really send everything, follow up...don't wait for them to acknowledge that they got it. They lose stuff, they aren't very organized.

::takes note:: lol @ Howard is trifling. Do you recommend calling to make sure documents are in?  :-\
If so, how long after you sent it?

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: December 16, 2007, 01:57:55 PM »
There's a formula for this type of thing. Call 3x + 7 x 0 = the day in which you call, where x equals the date of the day in which you mailed it.

Call when you think they shoulda been had it yet you haven't heard anything.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: December 16, 2007, 02:00:57 PM »

::takes note:: lol @ Howard is trifling. Do you recommend calling to make sure documents are in?  :-\

give them 2-3 weeks before you follow up. I had a friend that had his heart set on HUSL. Applied in November. Got the complete notice and everything. In April, he still hadn't gotten a decision so he called up and they told him they "never received" an application from him. Long story, short...they lost his application. He didn't get in and was very pissed.

When I applied, I never got a complete notice from them and they claimed LSAC never sent them my stuff...right...I had to get LSAC to resend and it was a pain in the ass.
YLS c/o 2009

lalalagirl007

• Sr. Citizen
  • fierceness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: December 16, 2007, 02:09:04 PM »

give them 2-3 weeks before you follow up. I had a friend that had his heart set on HUSL. Applied in November. Got the complete notice and everything. In April, he still hadn't gotten a decision so he called up and they told him they "never received" an application from him. Long story, short...they lost his application. He didn't get in and was very pissed.

When I applied, I never got a complete notice from them and they claimed LSAC never sent them my stuff...right...I had to get LSAC to resend and it was a pain in the ass.

OMG...I'd be furious! I've heard many negative things about their administration. Maybe they need to reevaluate and make the necessary changes. That is ridiculous.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: December 17, 2007, 04:01:05 PM »

Co-f-ing-sign!!!
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston