Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 314135 times)

jireh

• View Profile
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #1860 on: May 15, 2007, 07:18:34 PM »
I am just in awe that I still have not heard from FAMU. It's now three months. I was told by a friend that they mailed their denial letters some time ago. I guess I must be in a holding place. I faxed another letter of interest. The waiting is hard at times.

I think the acceptance letters must still be coming from FAMU. I just got mine in the mail today. Two weeks after I sent my deposit to NCCU. I don't know if that a good thing or a bad thing, cause my fiance lives in Orlando. But what's done is done I guess. :-\

Congratulations on your acceptance! You have to go with your heart concerning your school selections. It good to hear that FAMU are still mailing out acceptance letters. I was starting to think my application was lost or something. I applied Feb. 15th and still no word. I will stay positive.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: May 15, 2007, 07:23:34 PM »
I am just in awe that I still have not heard from FAMU. It's now three months. I was told by a friend that they mailed their denial letters some time ago. I guess I must be in a holding place. I faxed another letter of interest. The waiting is hard at times.

I think the acceptance letters must still be coming from FAMU. I just got mine in the mail today. Two weeks after I sent my deposit to NCCU. I don't know if that a good thing or a bad thing, cause my fiance lives in Orlando. But what's done is done I guess. :-\

you can change your mind

law_dawg_07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Howard vs. Bottom half of Tier 1 through Tier 4
« Reply #1862 on: May 15, 2007, 09:58:47 PM »
Dont think I quite understand your question but first reaction is that not getting into a top 25 school does not limit your choices.  T1 has 50 schools and so does T2...which gives you 100 reputable schools to choose from.  I think you need to make your question more clear.

@Alci, that was not nice...lol.  That post is wayyyy to long to read. (says the future lawyer)...
Just accept that fact that I am better than you.

chocolatedlux56

• View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: May 16, 2007, 11:47:54 AM »

you can change your mind

Yeah, but then I will lose my deposit I sent to NCCU and have to still send FAMU a $200 deposit. Plus I am a little shaky on FAMU's accreditation. They still dont' have a permanent dean in place and alot of the staff has either quit or gotten fired there(well according to their blog) But I'm gonna pray about it. But I think I probably made the right decision.

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1864 on: May 16, 2007, 08:37:36 PM »

you can change your mind

Yeah, but then I will lose my deposit I sent to NCCU and have to still send FAMU a $200 deposit. Plus I am a little shaky on FAMU's accreditation. They still dont' have a permanent dean in place and alot of the staff has either quit or gotten fired there(well according to their blog) But I'm gonna pray about it. But I think I probably made the right decision.

Thats why im not attending. From what ive seen, the school lookz really nice though. I think they'll be ok as far as the accreditation goes and i think the school will be very nice in the upcoming years

e-redwood

• " Just Do You"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1865 on: May 16, 2007, 09:53:55 PM »
Hey P.U.S.H where are you in Japan?  I'm here on JET too!!!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: May 17, 2007, 01:05:35 AM »
Just something for you all to opine on

Giving the cost of tuition and job possibilities at Howard (discounting the mediocre bar passage rate or you wanting to work in Seattle), how much sense does it really make to go any where else if you cannot get admitted to a top 25 school. Regardless of your race.
It has long been known that Howard is one of the hidden jewels for an education in law and subsequent career placement, but I was just looking for thoughts particularly in opposition on why one wouldn't attend howard given the pros and cons.

If biglaw is what you know you want to do, I personally don't see why anybody would pass up on Howard.

I had the opportunity to speak with a Howard grad last night and I asked her where the grads in her class ended up at, and she said that out of her class of about 125, at least 40 of them were working for biglaw in NYC, ranging from the #1 firm in NY to the #100.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: May 17, 2007, 08:31:14 AM »
Right...

Notice that very few Howard students/grads spend time on these message boards trying to justify Howard...  Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if Howard had some type of representation at around 70% (or more) of the top 100 firms.

Consuetudo pro lege servatur...Corruptisima re publica plurimae leges.

dsunshine

• View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: May 17, 2007, 08:19:19 PM »

Congratulations on your acceptance! You have to go with your heart concerning your school selections. It good to hear that FAMU are still mailing out acceptance letters. I was starting to think my application was lost or something. I applied Feb. 15th and still no word. I will stay positive.

If I was you! I would call to find out the status of your application. One of my friends called yesterday to find out they do not have any record of her application. It appears the someone never submitted her application for review. I keep telling her to let FAMU Go-- they do not have their act together and there are some serious issues going on with no dean and professors leaving etc Hopefully they can turn their act around  ::)

e-redwood

• " Just Do You"
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1869 on: May 17, 2007, 08:47:17 PM »
I went to Howard undergrad and all of my friends that went to Howard Law are out now and are all making big bucks!  One started at $234,000 and that was in 2002!!!!!   Gooooo Bisons!!!!