Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 287636 times)

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #1840 on: May 08, 2007, 06:49:31 PM »
PUSH, I know the comment was directed at Chydiva, but I am also going to NCCU and have visited. The facilities are top notch and the law school was just expanded and remodeled 2 or 3 years ago.

Did you talk to anybody about recruiting or OCI when you visited?
Everday I'm HUSL'in

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1841 on: May 09, 2007, 12:39:35 AM »
Just accepted to NCCU... man the decisions are getting rougher as the cycle continues :P

chydiva, did you visit the law school? I'm overseas and have no way of visiting before school starts, so I'm going to try and rush my paperwork, see what the financial aid dept is looking like and hopefully get some advice about the campuses ;) before I make a final decision.

Hey P.U.S.H,

Unfortunately, I will not be able to visit NCCU before I attend this fall :(
I spent a great deal of money on air fare visiting schools last month (90% of the schools I applied to are on the east coast so taking a road trip from LA was out of the question...) it sucks that the school I will actually be attending accepted me so late in the game...oh well. I'm was left to make my final decision based on postings on this board and a good friend that lives in the area.

Just like chocolatedlux stated, the school is newly built with top notch facilities. I know that you would probably ideally want to speak with students and professors to get a better picture...if so, I would research their website for contact info...most people I have contacted have been helpful (mostly admin folks but still) . I want to go into conflict resolution and mediation so I contacted the director of the institute this afternoon via email to get more info etc etc.

my only concern has been the slow moving of the administration. If you want to know what your financial aid looks like, submit the ppwk asap. - I talked with the admissions coordinator today and there is a week or so turn around from receipt before your ppwk is even turned into finincial aid,(they need to get you in the system yada yada) which means you wont be hearing from fin aid until 3 to 4 weeks after you mail the darn ppwk if you're lucky.....sigh :-\

Where are you overseas? -just curious :)

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: May 09, 2007, 12:58:07 AM »
Thanks for the info! I completely understand what you're saying... I've been in Japan since July '04 (teaching bad @$$ Japanese kids English words not found in rap music) so visiting schools was pretty impossible for me. I did get back to the States in November and was able to visit some of the schools I knew I was applying to, but NCCU wasn't a contender on the list at that point so even though I was in the Triangle for Homecoming, I didn't stop through :-\

I have quite a few friends from undergrad that attend the law school now, and one warned me off but the rest have been touting the place's virtues. I'm a bit too much of a social butterfly though, so I don't know if moving in such close proximity to so many friends would be beneficial, especially 1st year.

As for financial aid, I got the acceptance letter yesterday so I'm going to fill it all out at work and get a cover letter, call NCCU at an ungodly hour JKT and ask if I can fax the papaerwork they sent me to expedite the process - because at this point, finances are the only thing separating my remaining choices.
Everday I'm HUSL'in

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: May 09, 2007, 01:00:44 AM »
thanks P.U.S.H.

No problem - another poster just got off the waitlist today (yeterday? Check the "Waitlisted at Howard" thread)so maybe you'll hear something soon!
Everday I'm HUSL'in

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
Consuetudo pro lege servatur...Corruptisima re publica plurimae leges.

chydiva82

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1845 on: May 09, 2007, 12:14:21 PM »
Thanks for the info! I completely understand what you're saying... I've been in Japan since July '04 (teaching bad @$$ Japanese kids English words not found in rap music) so visiting schools was pretty impossible for me. I did get back to the States in November and was able to visit some of the schools I knew I was applying to, but NCCU wasn't a contender on the list at that point so even though I was in the Triangle for Homecoming, I didn't stop through :-\

I have quite a few friends from undergrad that attend the law school now, and one warned me off but the rest have been touting the place's virtues. I'm a bit too much of a social butterfly though, so I don't know if moving in such close proximity to so many friends would be beneficial, especially 1st year.

As for financial aid, I got the acceptance letter yesterday so I'm going to fill it all out at work and get a cover letter, call NCCU at an ungodly hour JKT and ask if I can fax the papaerwork they sent me to expedite the process - because at this point, finances are the only thing separating my remaining choices.

good luck with that!....j/k :D
I actually faxed over my intent to enroll ppwk yesterday since of course snail mail is just that - snail mail -and they hadn't received it yet :-\

I wanted to run my card over the phone or online (for the seat deposit) but they told me that was not an option. BIG SIGH :(

JAPAN! nice.....never been but would like to.

I think I find more folks touting NCCU's virtues than anything else which is a good sign.

Social butterfly, good luck with your decision on where you would like to attend!...I KNOW it's not easy!

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
  • http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: May 09, 2007, 12:16:35 PM »
I don't want to sway anyone away from NCCU because I am sure most folks will do fine, but if you attend NCCU be sure to always put your books before partying. Since Chapel Hill, Duke, and NC State are in close proximity to one another there is always something to do or party to attend. NCCU is notoriously difficult the 1L year, and PURPOSELY fails out at least 20 percent of their class every year. BOTTOMLINE, make sure you guys are studying, attending local bar association meetings, and seeking mentors from the faculty from the beginning. Just trying to look out...

chydiva82

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1847 on: May 09, 2007, 12:32:51 PM »
I don't want to sway anyone away from NCCU because I am sure most folks will do fine, but if you attend NCCU be sure to always put your books before partying. Since Chapel Hill, Duke, and NC State are in close proximity to one another there is always something to do or party to attend. HOWEVER, NCCU is notoriously difficult the 1L year, and PURPOSELY fails out at least 20 percent of their class every year. BOTTOMLINE, make sure you guys are studying, attending local bar association meetings, and seeking mentors from the faculty from the beginning. Just trying to look out...

Thanks for the heads up Paper Chaser.

Actually, that is exactly why I want to go to school out there. I have TOO many distractions out here, WAY too many. I too am a social butterfly and like to go out, socialize, etc etc but I can also focus and get the work done. HOWEVER, it obviously would be in my best interest to be in a place that will allow me to focus 150% as oppossed to 95% due to distractions -if that makes any sense at all.

Oh yeah, I am well aware of the attrition rate at NCCU...it is what it is. It will be a challenge to push through the 1st year but I actually welcome the challenge......sorry, I have a huge competitive nature ;D

chydiva82

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1848 on: May 09, 2007, 12:36:11 PM »
BOTTOMLINE, make sure you guys are studying, attending local bar association meetings, and seeking mentors from the faculty from the beginning. Just trying to look out...

Solid piece of advice!

Thanks! :)

jireh

• View Profile
Re: Waiting to hear from FAMU
« Reply #1849 on: May 13, 2007, 08:27:13 PM »
Just want to see if anyone who applied to FAMU received a response to their application? I applied almost three months ago and still waiting?

Just got my acceptance letter today from FAMU. Not going to attend. 200 Dollar seat deposit

Takin my arse to where i planned on going anyway

Congratulations! How long was your wait?