Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 299685 times)

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
  • http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #1820 on: May 04, 2007, 01:41:41 PM »
Grad dorms are right down from freshman women dorm and another women dorm. They are also a short walk to class, and the renovations have made the law school quite nice. The campus is not that large. Everything is within walking distance. Word to the wise though, just like Howard the administration hates doing their jobs, and you will probably have to wait in line for your refund check unless they have updated that process as well. Are you planning on living on the east coast after graduation? In-state tuition cannot is great.

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1821 on: May 04, 2007, 02:23:29 PM »
I dont mind walking but it's nice that things are within walking distance.. :).

I plan to stay on the east coast for a good while....5-7 years or so before I THINK about moving back to the west coast - if the thought even comes up. Love LA but I need a change of environment for many reasons. I know everyone probably says that and ends up hating their decision but hey you only live once right.....I would really like to work a year or two in-state after graduation and then move to Atlanta...that's the goal for now.

it's funny that you mention the administration just now.....I left a message about 30 minutes ago on the status of my enrollment ppwk/deposit that I mailed off on Tuesday(Yes, I have learned to follow up on EVERYTHING I send them) and I amazingly got a call back just now. I'm actually quite shocked....I was expecting a call back in at least 3 days at the most 5...

Thanks for the heads up on the refund check..I plan to have a cushion when I move for that exact reason...sad but I guess one should mentally prepare themself the flaws within the administration :(

I think you meant to write in-state tuition is great. If so, YES! it is! - but I have to wait 12 mos to reap the benifits  :-\

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: May 04, 2007, 06:00:18 PM »
Yeah I am watching my two year old daughter while typing on here so sometimes I may lose sight of my point. I am orginally from Charlotte,NC. You will love it!!! The Raliegh/Durham/Chapel Hill area is a wonderful academic area. I orginally planned on moving my family after graduation due to the cost of living and ease of the environment. I have my sights set on working in DC, Northern VA, Charlotte, or Atlanta as a securities/ corporate lawyer. Now NC is a litte slower than Cali so that is the major thing to know. Akso don't pick on the Southern accent---we hate that.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting to hear from FAMU
« Reply #1823 on: May 04, 2007, 07:31:28 PM »
You don't just need to call ya'll.  Fax!  I kept getting promoted at my internship and each time I did I sent them a fax about it.  Then I sent the a letter of continued interest. 

FAMU is just a little slow regardless but if you think that they are still deciding on your application why not push yourself over the edge by letting them know how excited you are about the opportunity, that you visited the campus (name something unique about the school that you were particularly interested in) in your "letter of continued interest" and fax it!

LOL-  every school I 'stalked' like that, I got into!  :)   
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

P.U.S.H

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1824 on: May 04, 2007, 08:21:18 PM »
I don't know who on this thread actually goes to Howard Law, but I was wondering what the climate was like from the deans.  I ask because yesterday I received a questionable e-mail from the Dean of Admissions.  It was his attempt to convince me that Howard Law was where I needed to be this fall. But, he started the e-mail by saying, and I quote, "I want to get straight to the point…Howard University School of Law wants you as a member of the class of 20010." Last time I checked it was 2010.  Then further down he writes, "One question…Why pay more for law school for less opportunity or  to end up working in the same places making the same salary as the graduates of the school that you currently plan to attend?"  Now, maybe I am overreacting, but I felt the tone was a little too strong, and I also felt like he didn't take the time out to hit spell check, which may have caught the run on sentence. The entire e-mail seemed pretty unpolished, and I was wondering if this is common at the law school? I am not hating, but it concerns me, because this is the foremost institution for Black American lawyers, and it does have a reputation to consider.

So this is what they meant by "still processing applications" when I called about my WL status :-\

Others have said that the dean is really personable with the students, so maybe he thought it would be important to come off as concerned as well as convincing...I don't know. I do know there's no excuse for run-ons :P so best of luck at UVA!
Everday I'm HUSL'in

chydiva82

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1825 on: May 04, 2007, 11:12:52 PM »
Yeah I am watching my two year old daughter while typing on here so sometimes I may lose sight of my point. I am orginally from Charlotte,NC. You will love it!!! The Raliegh/Durham/Chapel Hill area is a wonderful academic area. I orginally planned on moving my family after graduation due to the cost of living and ease of the environment. I have my sights set on working in DC, Northern VA, Charlotte, or Atlanta as a securities/ corporate lawyer. Now NC is a litte slower than Cali so that is the major thing to know. Akso don't pick on the Southern accent---we hate that.

Oh, I know I will love it!! I have a good friend who lives in Charlotte, and I fly back and forth to Houston, TX (mainly for personal trips on the weekends) So, I dont mind the Southern accent in the least bit. Slow is exactly what I'm looking for...I only applied to one school in CA, the rest were in the south and east coast. I have too many distractions out here (family, board member of several church organizations, etc etc). and I think I've already mentioned a change of environment.

Your blog is interesting...funny interesting :) 

Have you pretty much decided on WVU??

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: May 05, 2007, 05:13:41 AM »
WVU...for the most part yes. I know I sound hopeful but I would really like to transfer to Univ of MD, GULC, UVA, GWU, or UNC-CH. I took too long to get my apps out due to money shortages, and got dinged at all of the above. Either way, I think I should do pretty well in law school. I recieved my paralegal certificate a couple of days ago and interned at some non-profit law firms. I don't mind graduating from there because the JD/MBA program can be completed in three years, and they also offer a graduate certificate in Forensic Accounting and Fraud Investigation. It takes a summer to complete the certificate in the Business school and it fits with my SEC aspirations.

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1827 on: May 05, 2007, 11:51:55 AM »
I don't know who on this thread actually goes to Howard Law, but I was wondering what the climate was like from the deans.  I ask because yesterday I received a questionable e-mail from the Dean of Admissions.  It was his attempt to convince me that Howard Law was where I needed to be this fall. But, he started the e-mail by saying, and I quote, "I want to get straight to the point…Howard University School of Law wants you as a member of the class of 20010." Last time I checked it was 2010.  Then further down he writes, "One question…Why pay more for law school for less opportunity or  to end up working in the same places making the same salary as the graduates of the school that you currently plan to attend?"  Now, maybe I am overreacting, but I felt the tone was a little too strong, and I also felt like he didn't take the time out to hit spell check, which may have caught the run on sentence. The entire e-mail seemed pretty unpolished, and I was wondering if this is common at the law school? I am not hating, but it concerns me, because this is the foremost institution for Black American lawyers, and it does have a reputation to consider.

Did he say why pay more???

Naw, you can actuallypay less. Howard was my second choice in choosing law schools, but the cost of it made my stomach turn

Georgia State is cheaper than that and they're a Top 100

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Waiting to hear from FAMU
« Reply #1828 on: May 05, 2007, 01:01:26 PM »
Just want to see if anyone who applied to FAMU received a response to their application? I applied almost three months ago and still waiting?

Just got my acceptance letter today from FAMU. Not going to attend. 200 Dollar seat deposit

Takin my arse to where i planned on going anyway

chydiva82

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1829 on: May 05, 2007, 01:04:33 PM »
WVU...for the most part yes. I know I sound hopeful but I would really like to transfer to Univ of MD, GULC, UVA, GWU, or UNC-CH. I took too long to get my apps out due to money shortages, and got dinged at all of the above. Either way, I think I should do pretty well in law school. I recieved my paralegal certificate a couple of days ago and interned at some non-profit law firms. I don't mind graduating from there because the JD/MBA program can be completed in three years, and they also offer a graduate certificate in Forensic Accounting and Fraud Investigation. It takes a summer to complete the certificate in the Business school and it fits with my SEC aspirations.

Wow, JD/MBA program...nice! a lot of work but I know it will be worth it :).

I want to transfer as well BUT for now I want to do well my first year PERIOD. regardless if I'm doing so to transfer or continue at NCCU. Ideally, I would want to transfer but I think it would depend on the amount of schloarship I can get from the school I want to transfer to (chances are not much). I want to do public interest/counseling and we all know those positions do not pay big bucks so coming out with minimal debt is my primary goal.

I recieved my paralegal certificate last year -program was geared towards civil lit. At the end of the day, I did not want a paralegal gig...I know, I know, A major waste of money, time etc etc but I DO think it will help in that I have a grasp of how to IRAC cases (found out how beneficial this was when I went to visit law schools in my area and talked to some of the students) and how to manuever around lexisnexus, research cases etc etc.

Based on everything you've said Paper Chaser, I think you are incredibly driven so good luck in everything you do!!