Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 310558 times)

chocolatedlux56

• View Profile
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #1810 on: May 03, 2007, 10:08:29 PM »
I think I will be staying with my cousin down there. I just wanted a backup plan if I needed one.

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1811 on: May 04, 2007, 12:01:43 AM »
very cool.....if I had a family out there, I would def be doing the same thing. :)

SweetEpiphany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: May 04, 2007, 11:33:04 AM »
I don't know who on this thread actually goes to Howard Law, but I was wondering what the climate was like from the deans.  I ask because yesterday I received a questionable e-mail from the Dean of Admissions.  It was his attempt to convince me that Howard Law was where I needed to be this fall. But, he started the e-mail by saying, and I quote, "I want to get straight to the point…Howard University School of Law wants you as a member of the class of 20010." Last time I checked it was 2010.  Then further down he writes, "One question…Why pay more for law school for less opportunity or  to end up working in the same places making the same salary as the graduates of the school that you currently plan to attend?"  Now, maybe I am overreacting, but I felt the tone was a little too strong, and I also felt like he didn't take the time out to hit spell check, which may have caught the run on sentence. The entire e-mail seemed pretty unpolished, and I was wondering if this is common at the law school? I am not hating, but it concerns me, because this is the foremost institution for Black American lawyers, and it does have a reputation to consider.
UVA Law 2010!

I will not allow yesterday's success to lull me into today's complacency, for that is the great foundation of failure. ~Og Mandino

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
  • http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: May 04, 2007, 11:35:44 AM »
If at all possible you do not want a graduate apt on campus at Central. From what I remember in undergrad they are not that great.

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: May 04, 2007, 11:38:54 AM »
Girl you better go to UVA and do your thing. Hopefully with any luck I will see you there in 2008 as a transfer.

SweetEpiphany

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1815 on: May 04, 2007, 11:42:42 AM »
Girl you better go to UVA and do your thing. Hopefully with any luck I will see you there in 2008 as a transfer.

I'll try my best to hold it down at UVA. ;D
UVA Law 2010!

I will not allow yesterday's success to lull me into today's complacency, for that is the great foundation of failure. ~Og Mandino

chydiva82

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1816 on: May 04, 2007, 12:17:35 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm at a point where I need to penny pinch and the cost and convenience of living on campus at NCCU (while coming from out of state) is ideal at the moment. As long as its livable, I can deal. Trust me, I've probably seen worse living conditions. By 2L , I should have my bearings and probably seek off campus housing for privacy reasons....REALLY dont want a roomate but that might not be my choice to make unfortuantely :-\.

What exactly about the apt makes it "not that great" the interior? exterior? anything in particular?..

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: May 04, 2007, 12:48:44 PM »
Unless they have renovated they are really small, and have AC in the window. NCCU is really not a secure campus. I lived in the only male dorm on campus, and the projects are right down the hill from the school. Well, really they are all around it. People from the area would constantly rob students at gunpoint, and if you sold weed you could count on at least two armed robbery attempts a semester. Once two local guys tried to rob a dude on my hallway, and the entire hall jumped them. One got away, but the other left on a strecher and oxygen tank. Durhamites, residents of Durham, can be quite jealous of the fact that you go to school, whether it is Duke or NCCU. Overall though it is a great school, and I am awaiting my decision anyday now as well. The only thing that bothers me is that NCCU consistently flunks out a quarter of their 1L class---now that is rough. I am thinking of attending WVU, and one of the main reasons is the remarkably low attrition rate for a T3/T4 school. Good luck!

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: May 04, 2007, 12:58:46 PM »
What does the acceptance package look like from NCCU?

chydiva82

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1819 on: May 04, 2007, 01:33:06 PM »
My acceptance came in a small white envelope...3 sheets (congrats sheet, financial aid ppwk and an intent to enroll form). I'm guessing financial aid will come AFTER the ppwk is filled out because from talking to other folks that were accepted, there was no scholarship info included - so this might be across the board regardless of LSAT score.

hmmm, I've heard that the school is not in the best/greatest neighborhood. I'm not TOO worried about it though....a bit but not a great deal. it is what it is for the 1st year at least. I just have to be extremely cautious of my surroundings - actually it will not be too much different from what I do now.....I'm from LA -i live in a nice/OK neighborhood - BUT the surrounding area which of course I need to venture into on a daily basis is "not so great".....

As far as the apt's are concerned, I can deal with small. As long as I have my own room to shut out people when I want to, I think it will be OK....If the AC is not working maybe I'll get my own or get a fan,  or cooling system, something...LOL. Guess what I'm trying to say is I will just have to make the best out of the situation :)

by the way, thank you so much for you candid remarks....I wont be able to visit until two weeks before school starts so your input is GREATLY appreciated. :)

How far/close are the graduate apts from the undergraduate dorms?
Also, is the law school in a separate section of campus?