Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 310409 times)

chocolatedlux56

• View Profile
Anybody going to NCCU?
« Reply #1800 on: May 01, 2007, 06:58:21 PM »
Hey everyone, I am sending my seat deposit tomorrow for NCCU and wanted to know if anyone else here is going to attend in the fall. I am so excited! :D

civil blu 1922

• View Profile
Re: Anybody going to NCCU?
« Reply #1801 on: May 01, 2007, 07:32:53 PM »
I'm still waiting to receive a decision.  Congrats...when did you apply?

chocolatedlux56

• View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: May 01, 2007, 08:45:16 PM »
I applied in Mid January. I got my complete letter 2 or 3 weeks ago and my acceptance letter last week.

civil blu 1922

• View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: May 01, 2007, 09:00:18 PM »
Did the letter mention anything regarding your award, if any?  I plan to go check out the school in a few weeks if I'm accepted.  Did you check it out?

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1804 on: May 02, 2007, 12:58:02 AM »
I will be attending! I am soooo excited  :)

I paid my housing and tuition deposit last week. I'm coming from the west coast, so I want to live on campus at least for the first year to get comfortable with my surroundings. The academic calendar for 2007-08 is not posted on thier website as of yet but depending on when orientation begins, I will move across country either at the end of July or 1st week of August. Did I mention that I'm excited....LOL

chocolatedlux56

• View Profile
« Reply #1805 on: May 02, 2007, 06:38:57 PM »
Yeah! Its great to see someone else attending! Civblu, no they didn't mention any awards. My acceptance letter actually came in a regular sized envelope and you had to fill out some extra paperwork for financial aid(I am assuming that includes scholarships, but I probably won't qualify for any anywayz) I am just happy I got in somewhere! I visited the school, and the facilities are top notch. They just remodeled like 2 or 3 years ago.

Chydiva, do they have grad dorms?If you stay on campus, do you have to have a roommate? Have you seen the dorms?

civil blu 1922

• View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: May 02, 2007, 07:24:09 PM »
im so mad...i still haven't heard anything and I applied back in February.  When I called to check the status, the staff was very unprofessional and acted as if they couldn't find my application packet.  I've been accepted at TSU but I really want to hear from NCCU...upon notification, I will be scouting for a roommate.

civil blu 1922

• View Profile
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #1807 on: May 02, 2007, 07:43:37 PM »
Thurgood Marshall

chocolatedlux56

• View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: May 02, 2007, 08:48:04 PM »
Yeah, I have heard the professors and the program is great, but the administration staff is a little questionable. When i went to visit, it was on a Friday (and i guess they don't have classes on Friday because I couldn't sit in on a class) The girl who was the temporary admissions person was very young(this was last year) and I had to wait at least 20 minutes for her to arrive because she was late. :-\ But I have heard that HBCUs are notorious for being a little unprofessional. But I can deal with it.  :)

chydiva82

• Did God take permission from U when he created ME?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1809 on: May 03, 2007, 02:38:59 AM »
Hey again-

Yes, they have apts for grad students. ...but I had to pick up the phone and extensively research on thier website (i.e put in work) to get the answers that I needed  :-[.....they have one apt solely for grad students and two for upperclassmen and grad students.

I do NOT want a roomate but I dont think I have a choice in the matter. My first choice on the application was the apt for graduate students only which has a 1b/1b option and I did express that I did not want a roomate but again I dont know how much things will turn out in my favor in that regard. One bright spot is that freshmen, sophmores AND grad students get priority housing.I guess I wouldn't mind a roomate if I knew the person, wouldn't be that bad to room with ONE extra person. By the way, the housing deadline was May 1st which was INSANE! -becuase if I didn't start calling in to every darn office in the school to gather information, I woould have missed the deadline......frustrating! Oh, and you better believe I called in on Monday to make SURE that my application was being processed. I get my apt assignment in the summer ;D

Unfortunately, I wont be able to make it out there to see the school/apts until two weeks before school starts. I have a friend who lives in Charlotte so I asked him to visit and give me a status report....it sucks but at the moment I dont have a choice :'(

Chocolatedlux - you should call in and speak with the financial aid advisior, I cant think of his name at the moment but he was very helpful.(his info is on their website) They will use the financial aid ppwk you filled out for need based schloarship and grants and I know you said you will not qualify but it doesn't hurt to ask....I have his email and phone number saved in my phone...stalker alert!! LOL. Also, since the housing deadline has passed, if you do want to live on campus, he can help you sidestep all the red tape etc etc...Are you living off campus? rommate situation?

Civil Blu - It sucks that you haven't heard a peep yet. It will probably be for another two weeks or so. I went complete 1/29 and didnt receive my acceptance until 4/23!! I cant complain though...it was worth the wait ;). TSU is a solid school....the only thing that worries me is their bar passage percentage and the competition from the 4 other LS's schools in the immediate area...anyway, if you work hard, network, and have a killer personality , finding a job might not be AS difficult. Um, when you called in to check yoru status, did you speak with Sandra Brown Bechtold....and, yes , before you ask I have her number and info stored in my phone as well. LOL. She's not exactly helpful but I think she is just swamped with this whole process....with that said, she is the ONLY that has a clue what's is going on....