Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 301722 times)

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #1790 on: March 27, 2007, 12:12:25 PM »
Wow!  I leave the board for a couple weeks and look at all of this negativity!

Go where you think is best for you without thinking about numbers, rankings, etc.  You have to get the JD before you worry about all that other stuff -- and if you are somewhere where you don't have a support system, you will be packing your bags and leaving whether it is Howard or Harvard.  Worry about job prospects later.  As I have said b4, cream rises to the top no matter where you go!

Think before you speak.

jireh

• View Profile
Waiting to hear from FAMU
« Reply #1791 on: April 28, 2007, 10:13:09 AM »
Just want to see if anyone who applied to FAMU received a response to their application? I applied almost three months ago and still waiting?

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting to hear from FAMU
« Reply #1792 on: April 28, 2007, 04:35:41 PM »
look onto LSN
UMiami c/o 2010

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: April 28, 2007, 04:39:02 PM »
Don't worry about it- they just take forever  (my wait was about 4 1/2 months).   :)
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: April 28, 2007, 04:40:41 PM »
they are going through a lot of stuff right now (the undergrad school). They are semi- seperate but I imagine that it has had somewhat of an effect. I would move on unless you are super interested- then just call
UMiami c/o 2010

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: April 28, 2007, 04:48:40 PM »
Call 'em regardless.  I was waitlisted for one school and I kept faxing them updates to my resume, letters of continued interest, etc.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

chocolatedlux56

• View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: April 28, 2007, 06:39:41 PM »
I applied three months ago also. I even went and visited earlier this month and they said my application was complete. Like another poster said, they are going through alot of transisition. No permanent dean, a low bar passage rate and the university as a whole is getting a new president(which is a good thing) But from what I hear, Tallahassee has a tight reign on what goes on in Orlando at the law school. Check out http://rattlernation.blogspot.com/ look in the archives. There is alot of info on there about the law school. But I think once they get their stuff together, it will be a good school, but even though i would rather be in Orlando with my fiance, I can't wait for them. Also, when I went and visited, the Admissions rep said that had like 60 percent more apps than they did last year.
I got accepted to NCCU and I think I will end up going there instead.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: April 28, 2007, 07:18:25 PM »
But keep letting them know that you are still interested.  Leave yourself options even if you will eventually have to turn them down.  Me-  I was so happy to even HAVE options. 

jireh

• View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: April 29, 2007, 06:15:18 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I visited the campus in Feb. and was very impressed. In addition, I had the opportunity to sit in on one of the classes. I called several times and no one answered the phone. I left messages as well.  The waiting has been a little challenging. But hearing your comments makes it a little easier.

Sparkz1920

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1799 on: April 29, 2007, 07:00:12 PM »
I too applied as well, and havent heard anything back. I really dont want to go, because of their accreditation issues but i decided to apply because since the school is almost majority white, they are really seeking african americans to take back over the law school and i heard they're handing out scholarships left and right.They came to visit my school and they were recruiting like hell. So i decided to apply. My first choice is Southern, the cost is within my budget, and i can possibly get in state tuition. So that is where i will be attending