Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 302219 times)

benny149

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #1680 on: January 07, 2007, 09:43:07 PM »
I just sent in my app...what a relief! Hopefully I'll hear back relatively soon, because I would love to go to school in D.C.  Anybody know how long it usually takes to go complete?

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1681 on: January 10, 2007, 08:15:30 PM »
Our bar passage rates are going up.  HUSL grads did well last year.  Dean Schmoke is emphasizing passing the bar from Day 1 now.  There is also a class offered for 3Ls during the spring semester that is essentially pre-bar review bar review.  The school is doing a lot to make improvements in that area because of the crucial importance of passing the bar.

Think before you speak.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: January 10, 2007, 10:55:04 PM »
Our bar passage rates are going up.  HUSL grads did well last year.  Dean Schmoke is emphasizing passing the bar from Day 1 now.  There is also a class offered for 3Ls during the spring semester that is essentially pre-bar review bar review.  The school is doing a lot to make improvements in that area because of the crucial importance of passing the bar.

roxie! ;D

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1683 on: January 14, 2007, 08:44:44 PM »

roxie! ;D

;Dsup!! ;D
Think before you speak.

chocolatedlux56

• View Profile
FAMU-UPDATE TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE
« Reply #1684 on: January 14, 2007, 11:01:57 PM »
Does anyone know anything about FAMU? According to their website they are provisionally accredited by the ABA, But I really haven't found any other information about the school, its LSAT/GPA medians or anything. I may be relocating to the Orlando area and wanted as much information as possible. ALSO, I WAS WONDERING WHY THEY DON'T HAVE A PROFILE ON LSAC.ORG, usually from what i can remember, even provisional schools have a profile on there.

UPDATE TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE!!!
I was really seriously thinking about applying to FAMU, but check this blog out from law students and faculty at the school. THIS IS NOT GOOD!!
http://rattlernation.blogspot.com/2007/01/interim-dean-and-associate-dean-bolt.html

UFBGD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: FAMU
« Reply #1685 on: January 14, 2007, 11:19:18 PM »
They take like LSAT in the 140s.  They are not accredited yet, but I believe they will be when the time comes (meaning however long it takes to get approved-5 years? they will be approved).

Barry is also in Orlando.  They give out pretty good scholarships from what I hear.

Inquirer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: January 15, 2007, 09:34:19 AM »
Does anyone know anything about FAMU? According to their website they are provisionally accredited by the ABA, But I really haven't found any other information about the school, its LSAT/GPA medians or anything. I may be relocating to the Orlando area and wanted as much information as possible. ALSO, I WAS WONDERING WHY THEY DON'T HAVE A PROFILE ON LSAC.ORG, usually from what i can remember, even provisional schools have a profile on there.

You can look here: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,27865.0.html

for more information

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: January 15, 2007, 12:37:37 PM »
Also please check out Princeton Review's 175 Top Law Schools.  It gives a really good break down on such things like GPA/LSAT, level of competition (rather "competitiveness"), ratio male to female, ratio of student to professor, race, etc.  Also gives you a breakdown of where  else people apply to that are also applying to your school (in this case FAMU). 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: FAMU-UPDATE TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE
« Reply #1688 on: January 15, 2007, 07:58:46 PM »
attorney Shirley Cunningham Jr. donated $1 million to the FAMU law school in return for a $100,000-a-year job that didn't require him to teach on-site.

that's certainly an interesting deal.

EDIT: by the way, I'm merging this thread with the HBCU thread.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: FAMU-UPDATE TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE
« Reply #1689 on: January 16, 2007, 01:20:33 AM »
attorney Shirley Cunningham Jr. donated $1 million to the FAMU law school in return for a $100,000-a-year job that didn't require him to teach on-site.

that's certainly an interesting deal.

EDIT: by the way, I'm merging this thread with the HBCU thread.

i really hope this is not a harbinger of the job market when i get out of school. and uh, how is he going to teach? video-conferencing??? too weird for me.
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.