Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 299750 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Risky to Choose Howard These Days?
« Reply #1580 on: December 13, 2006, 10:09:37 AM »
I'm not suggesting that law students don't know anything about what jobs are availiable. But the part you admitted was that just being in law school doesn't mean you are an expert on the hiring practices of law firms. Many people in law school have absolutely no interest in working at a law firm at all in their lives. Are these people experts? Probably not.

Also just because you spend your time looking for a job doesn't mean you know the answer why they hire who they hire. From what I've read, it's hard to find answers to questions like these from top law firms. They are hesistant to give you information on such delicate topics. Unless youve actually worked for some of the firms in question, I doubt you know much more about the truth behind their hiring practices than me.

You may take pleasure in calling me misinformed, uniformed,or padawan,but thats your own misconception. I've spent months, days, weeks, and countless hours reading articles and posts (including yours) on many law school forums, blogs, websites. I've also spent plenty of time looking at the NALP directory as well. Call me obsessed. Not being in law school I probably have more time for this than you, so unless you have some sort of actual experience, besides showing up with your book bag to learn Civil Procedure a few days a week, I kind of think you need to loose the Obi-Wan-Kenobi complex.

That has to be the most naive three paragraphs I've read all week.  The last is particularly entertaining.  Keep up the good work, OP.  What else do you know?

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: December 13, 2006, 10:12:48 AM »
Hey, she's cute. Leave her alone!
Look to the left -- Look to the right

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: December 13, 2006, 10:21:07 AM »
Hey, she's cute. Leave her alone!

lame  :-\
Columbia 3L

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1583 on: December 13, 2006, 11:06:43 AM »
Wachtell has been going to Howard on OCI for years on end, yet they have 1 single employee in total from Howard, graduated in 1994. [/quote]

We had a HUSL grad go to Wachtell last year.  He prolly isn't on the website yet cuz he recently took the bar.  They don't put you on the website until you are official.

Also, people get offers from a lot of firms.  Just because we aren't there doesn't mean that we couldn't have gone there.  There is only one of me.  I couldn't go everywhere that I had an offer.  LOL.

Edited after I finished reading this thread:  There is absolutely NO POINT in obsessing about getting a job before you even step foot into law school. It is SUCH a waste of time to go through numbers and stats and websites to see who did what when where and how.  That doesn't mean that YOU will fit into whatever mold or category that some random Joe on www.bigfirm.com was in.  Do you.  Get your grades.  Get your work experience.  Get your accolades.  Then it won't matter where you go....you will end up working whereever you belong.

I have said this before on this board:  Law school is a mind game.  People tell all kinds of lies and fairy tales about everything!  From how many hours they studied, what they did and did not read, what their grades are, where they are interviewing, where they got offers, which professors asked them to be research assistants, what they had for breakfast on exam day...EVERYTHING. There are so many myths and legends about law school that lead to countless hours of obsessing and wasting time that could be well spent doing other things. 

This board, or anywhere else on the internet for that matter, is not the place to go for real information that will actually be helpful.  Talk to 2Ls and 3Ls that have been through a job search.  Find some black associates or alumni.  People say stuff on this board to get reactions without regard for the truth of what they are saying.
Think before you speak.

TurboGirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - turbogirl3535
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: December 13, 2006, 12:45:32 PM »
Why do top law firms recruit at a tier 3 black school if not for the reasons I mentioned (quotas and self protection) when they could be focusing on applicants from higher ranked school, and how does this actually help increase their profits as you said it did? I would love your opinion, thanks.

maybe he didn't answer the question because he felt the answer was quite simple... Top law firms recruit at Howard (a tier 3 black school ::)) simply because they want to and they can...add in OSA's post and you have your reasons..

btw anyone that can take 21 credits in one semester thier first yr of law school and still come out on top gets much respect from me...

don't make the assumption that because a law school is lower ranked (you do know how these rankings are selected correct?) that the performance of its graduates will be less than those at Tier 1 law schools.. one thing that people fail to realize is this

at an HBCU though the core curriculum is the same.. if you are truly interested in litigation and trial advocacy you will receive better training than a lot of Tier 1 law schools..

and are you really serious with this??? you can't possibly believe that there aren't some racist CEOs out there that wouldn't feel comfortable with a black attorney handling their case.. and if it comes to the firm losing the deal or protecting their black associate what do you think would happen (provided the associate has no knowledge of the situation)?

And on this level I doubt it would matter to a CEO whether he worked with a minority or not. You don't get to that level by only being able to relate to one subgroup.

and of these stats of other law schools.. how many of these associates that were selected are black? the statistical data is flawed because it does not tell you how many black students are recruited and hired.. if you ever make it into biglaw I honestly want you to look around and see how many fellow associates look like you...and if they do look like you then find out if they came str8 from law school.. and what their specialization is..

and what's "any job at all"... we aren't talking about folks working in McDonald's after law school.. good lord...

DAs, Prosecutors, private practice, legal counsel for major corporations, adjunct law professors, closing attorneys… the list goes on.. believe it or not…not every one wants to do BigLaw.. some people want a better quality of life..

However I'm only talking about Biglaw posititons requiring 10% and not just any job at all. I know the employment stats show a much much higher rate of employment than 10%.

Find me any another Tier 3 law firm with as many V50 law firms recruit as they do at Howard. Your right. He didn't answer the question because the answer is simple. The reason recruiters from so many top law firms come to Howard is because they are looking for black employees.

I think you are taking this waaayy to personally and making assumptions about what you think I mean. It is my understanding that law schools provide pretty much the same level of education. I am not underestimating the caliber of student performance at Howard, simply the fact that Top Law firms do not have such an understanding view. Top law firms prefer top law schools.

You misunderstood me again. I was taking about a BLACK CEO not caring whether he worked with a minority or not, he would want the best person for the case.

And finally, I never suggested that EVERYONE wanted big law. I have said several times that many law students have no interest in ever working in a law firm. This topic in particular is meant to be about Biglaw. You  don't read, get automatically offended, and jump to conclusions....typical message board.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: December 13, 2006, 12:46:52 PM »
I understand turbo, I understand. They are jealous. Pop your collar.

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: December 13, 2006, 12:54:20 PM »

again...lame.  i'm saddened by your lamenes--imma need u to do better homie ::)
Columbia 3L

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: December 13, 2006, 01:07:29 PM »
i don't know of any tier 3 law firms...  but since i realize u're referring to law schools.. i tell you what.. i don't research firms or schools in my spare time..that's what you do so have fun with that...

black employees can be found anywhere.. so try again...have you heard of any law schools that don't have a single black student? hmm didn't think so...

i'm not taking anything personally..wrong is wrong lol... and for you to think that people that are attending law school..have had summer assistantships.. met and worked with various attorneys.. attended MANY events sponsored by top firms don't have more first hand knowledge than your statistical data then you're a bit off base...

some black CEOs are whitewashed to the point where they do not have faith in their own when it comes to representation so they'd rather hire white attorneys instead...

you attempted to make a point earlier that those that aren't interested in Biglaw.. let me find your exact quote

Many people in law school have absolutely no interest in working at a law firm at all in their lives. Are these people experts? Probably not.

are you an expert because you have read  statistical  data that was published by others?  where is your field experience? do you honestly believe that those that choose not to go into BigLaw have equal or less knowledge than the many websites that you've chosen to study in your lesiure?

i read everything you said.. i'm far from offended...don't give yourself that much credit...

Find me any another Tier 3 law firm with as many V50 law firms recruit as they do at Howard. Your right. He didn't answer the question because the answer is simple. The reason recruiters from so many top law firms come to Howard is because they are looking for black employees.

I think you are taking this waaayy to personally and making assumptions about what you think I mean. It is my understanding that law schools provide pretty much the same level of education. I am not underestimating the caliber of student performance at Howard, simply the fact that Top Law firms do not have such an understanding view. Top law firms prefer top law schools.

You misunderstood me again. I was taking about a BLACK CEO not caring whether he worked with a minority or not, he would want the best person for the case.

And finally, I never suggested that EVERYONE wanted big law. I have said several times that many law students have no interest in ever working in a law firm. This topic in particular is meant to be about Biglaw. You  don't read, get automatically offended, and jump to conclusions....typical message board.

and Opoto :D..I know you're joking homie.. but don't gas her head up where she feels that she posesses something that we envy...
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: December 13, 2006, 01:32:28 PM »

leave me alone pls. It's turbo and I against the world. get lost #%@!.

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: December 13, 2006, 01:38:13 PM »

leave me alone pls. It's turbo and I against the world. get lost #%@!.
meanie  :-[
Columbia 3L