Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 287461 times)

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
  • Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Howard vs. GW
« Reply #1030 on: February 25, 2006, 01:17:33 PM »
I think its funny that these were the same people saying UVA was better than Howard and I was crazy a few weeks ago. I didnt say it was althogether easier. The bottom line is are all student bodies at all schools equal? If you believe this then go wherever screw T14 rates. If you believe the student body is better at Howard than Harvard why am I the only one going to Howard?
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass

John Galt

« Reply #1031 on: February 25, 2006, 01:18:13 PM »
Note I was talking about Crazy8 who said he was afraid of going to a higher ranked schoool

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1032 on: February 25, 2006, 01:21:21 PM »
Its just really funny to me how many of the people making these comments thought I was crazy for picking howard over UVA due to DEBT (check the I have a dilemaa thread). Now Im getting blasted by thing=king lowly of Howard afer I spent weeks defending the instituiton from pretty much everyone except Galt Sands and Blq. Funny.
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass

crazy8

« Reply #1033 on: February 25, 2006, 01:21:58 PM »
man, I can't believe what i'm reading on this thread..."I'm soo scared of the big white schools. I'm soo scared of their intellectual prowess." I just want to vomit. If you're scared of a challenge, you won't fit into Howard Law School anyway. Yeah I'm calling you out crazy!!! :P

JG how you gonna call me out like that?  :o I was only being honest.  To be quite frank, it's people on this board who have gotten me scared thinking that if I don't graduate in the top of my class (unless I'm at YHS..and that's not even a guarantee) that I'll have no chance at a big law job and might have even wasted my time becoming an attorney (thought that's a stretch).  I grew up poor (not a great feeling) and going to law school, is a way for me to better myself while helping others.  It's not that I'm afraid to go blow for blow at any school (I don't believe I'd get F's or be at the bottom of my class at Harvard), but the way the system seems to be set up, it's like people are just shaving off the top 10% at any school and giving them the best opportunities.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's the case, I'm going to put myself in the best possible position where I feel I will be capable to succeed (not because the people there are dumber than I am, but that I can feel comfortable).  

One thing I've learned from this process is if I went to a lower ranked undergrad and majored in under water basket weaving, and had a 4.0 average, schools would be more favorable to my numbers than they seem to be now.  But correct me if I'm wrong.
If you read my previous post, you would see that I also said to OCD that there will be intellectual people at Howard who may not have as high of LSAT score as he does, but has the hunger and desire to excel.

Additionally, I went to a predom. white ug, and what I like about Howard is the ability to feel comfortable with my own peeps, and find a group of folks like OCD who will stay on the grind and push one another.  Plus the networking opportunities that extend beyond that.  I was friendly with a lot of people in my UG, but my closest friends continue to be the black folks, and we are all doing the damn thang.

So Mr. Gault, I ain't scurred of ish!  :P I'm just trying to play the game.  I know I'll run circles around many of these folks at a firm, but it seems like if I don't end up in the top of my class, it'll take them longer to know.  And the reality remanins, no matter how hard we all work, someone has to end up at the bottom.

John Galt

« Reply #1034 on: February 25, 2006, 01:22:36 PM »
I think its funny that these were the same people saying UVA was better than Howard and I was crazy a few weeks ago. I didnt say it was althogether easier. The bottom line is are all student bodies at all schools equal? If you believe this then go wherever screw T14 rates. If you believe the student body is better at Howard than Harvard why am I the only one going to Howard?

The fact is that it is a fallacy to assume that your prior experience will make it easier for you to graduate in the top of your class at Howard than at UVA. Additionally, even if it were not a fallacy, looking at the quality of the student body only is a narrow approach in determining where you will fall. There are many other factors that determine class rank other than relative quality of the student body.

Victor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: February 25, 2006, 01:24:42 PM »
Lesson of the day: Take things on here with a grain of salt.

John Galt

« Reply #1036 on: February 25, 2006, 01:26:22 PM »
man, I can't believe what i'm reading on this thread..."I'm soo scared of the big white schools. I'm soo scared of their intellectual prowess." I just want to vomit. If you're scared of a challenge, you won't fit into Howard Law School anyway. Yeah I'm calling you out crazy!!! :P

JG how you gonna call me out like that?  :o I was only being honest.  To be quite frank, it's people on this board who have gotten me scared thinking that if I don't graduate in the top of my class (unless I'm at YHS..and that's not even a guarantee) that I'll have no chance at a big law job and might have even wasted my time becoming an attorney (thought that's a stretch).  I grew up poor (not a great feeling) and going to law school, is a way for me to better myself while helping others.  It's not that I'm afraid to go blow for blow at any school (I don't believe I'd get F's or be at the bottom of my class at Harvard), but the way the system seems to be set up, it's like people are just shaving off the top 10% at any school and giving them the best opportunities.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if that's the case, I'm going to put myself in the best possible position where I feel I will be capable to succeed (not because the people there are dumber than I am, but that I can feel comfortable). 

One thing I've learned from this process is if I went to a lower ranked undergrad and majored in under water basket weaving, and had a 4.0 average, schools would be more favorable to my numbers than they seem to be now.  But correct me if I'm wrong.
If you read my previous post, you would see that I also said to OCD that there will be intellectual people at Howard who may not have as high of LSAT score as he does, but has the hunger and desire to excel.

Additionally, I went to a predom. white ug, and what I like about Howard is the ability to feel comfortable with my own peeps, and find a group of folks like OCD who will stay on the grind and push one another.  Plus the networking opportunities that extend beyond that.  I was friendly with a lot of people in my UG, but my closest friends continue to be the black folks, and we are all doing the damn thang.

So Mr. Gault, I ain't scurred of ish!  :P I'm just trying to play the game.  I know I'll run circles around many of these folks at a firm, but it seems like if I don't end up in the top of my class, it'll take them longer to know.  And the reality remanins, no matter how hard we all work, someone has to end up at the bottom.

Alright, that's more like it. That's what I like to hear from you. You're too good and too smart to doubt yourself graduating at the top half of your class at ANY institution. The reasons you outlined here are great reasons to attend Howard...but never doubt your own ability. That's why I called you out. Nice response.

crazy8

« Reply #1037 on: February 25, 2006, 01:27:35 PM »
Lesson of the day: Take things on here with a grain of salt.

Exactly...

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1038 on: February 25, 2006, 01:28:28 PM »
I mean were talking about how great howard is I applied there. How many of yall making comments seriously applied there. BTW I have a 3.88 (highest for any econ major by .27) and a 157 LSAT.

GALT:Yes there are many others. I will have no debt so I will be relaxed. I grew up 15 minutes away so it is home. I am politcally aligned with thw school so im comfertable. I can keep going but I do get your point and there are other factors in my favor. But still the reason Im going to howard is NO DEBT!!!! so its a moot point anyways.
UVA Class of 2009

-Fredrick Douglass

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1039 on: February 25, 2006, 01:31:10 PM »
I guess me saying I got 20k a yr from howard might allow you to see where Im coming from.
UVA Class of 2009

-Fredrick Douglass