Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 306463 times)

user80

• View Profile
Re: Anyone with personal experience choosing Howard w/ $ over T14?
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2005, 08:13:32 AM »
Thanks for the advice blk_reign.esq - at this point I can use all that I can get.  I have done quite a bit of research on both schools.  I attended their open houses, met with professors and students and even gathered stats on employment and clerkship placement.  I found the facilities at the T14 a step above those at Howard (not surprising).  However, the wireless connectivity and lounge area complete with fireplace at the T14 comes at a cost... :-\  The fact is - none of those extras are necessary for my study of law.

I do know, however, that my alma mater is something that will follow me throughout my law career, and while I believe Howard can provide me with an adequate education, I do understand that this is a field that is very discriminate in such matters as the legal institution attended.

I'm getting down to the wire with this decision.  As much as I don't want to pay both first seat deposits, I think that is exactly what I may end up doing.

I don't mean to sound so down.  I realize how wonerful an opportunity it is to be accepted to such fine instituitions and to receive a merit scholarship at one.  I doubt that I can go wrong either way - but therein lies the dilemma...

Thanks again...
Mila.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2005, 08:19:04 AM »
What T14?  I think its a bit odd you aren't mentioning the actual school name.
Attending GW in Fall '06

user80

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2005, 10:26:08 AM »
Sorry for being elusive - it's Georgetown.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2005, 10:43:31 AM »
Its all good :).  I have to say though I think you would be insane to go to Howard over Gtown.  The fact is, not NEARLY as many firms are going to recruit from Howard.  Its just the way it is.  I don't really see how one could choose a Tier 3 over any T25 school, but that is just me.

Attending GW in Fall '06

user80

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2005, 11:03:52 AM »
Thanks for your input.  At times this decision does seem like a no brainer, but I do also have periods where a free law school education seems attractive, even if from a Tier 3 school.  I suppose it boils down to me being uncomfortable with $150,000 of debt.  I've heard that 10 years from that number will seem so small and insignificant, but now it feels like I'd be signing my life (or rather my potential for having one) away.

Thanks again...
Mila.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2005, 11:12:28 AM »
I graduated from GW Law May 04' and took a couple of classes @ Howard law through the consortium....the only thing that stopped me from going to Howard for law school was the fact that I wanted to do a dual degree program in International Affairs.. Howard didn't have that.. now the majority of the people on this board have never sat in Howard's classes...gone to lunch or dinner with a lot of the students or competed in city mock trials against them.. I have.. and they hold their own quite well.....(they just won the national mock trial competetion... i posted the link on this board.. u should read the article)

everyone knows the name Howard.. just as everyone knows the name Georgetown.... at the end of the day there are Jobs for Howard placements... great jobs for Howard placements... top recruiters from big law firms recruit from Howard (just as they do from other universities).. there are city internships all over the country that are set up for Howard 2L& 3L.. i used to be jealous of some of the opportunities because they were limited to howard law students (no lie).. there are even firms that have scholarships solely for Howard Law students (ie. http://www.sidley.com/careers/work/chicago/diverse.asp)

Professor Ogletree of Harvard University has recruited some Howard students through the yrs to work on some of his cases... the opportunities are there... statistics will show you that 35% of all black lawyers are Howard graduates... that should tell you something..

people have told me that employers come to howard expecting well trained lawyers..and respect the University's tradition...a friend of mine got a summer assistantship @ Wilmer Cutler and Pickering her 1L and her 2L she had an In-house summer assistantship @ the Marriott.. I'm just saying that the opportunities are definitely there.. you just have to work hard.. just as you should at any law school.. going to Georgetown or anywhere for that matter isn't going to guarantee you a job....don't be hoodwinked into believing that.. u have to put in work..

one thing that howard does that a lot of law schools don't do is give crazy credit hours for 1Ls to insure that it's not a game... first or second semester (can't remember) they  were taking 21 mandatory credits while i was taking 15

pardon the lengthy post
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

user80

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2005, 12:17:51 PM »
The lengthy post?... This is exactly the sort of information I was fishing for.  I can't thank you enough for providing such detailed info on a Saturday morning!  My gut tells me that I could be just as successful at Howard, and perhaps even more so due to the decreased debt load after graduation.  This is why I'm at an impass...  I think in the end I'll have to have the courage to do what's best for me and not what everyone else thinks they would do if in my shoes...

Thanks again blk_reign.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2005, 12:43:46 PM »
the fact that you would have a decreased debt load will certainly allow you to focus on your studies.. you won't be stressed or burnt out wondering where your money is going to come from or how you're going to pay your loans back after you're done with school.. with that off of your back you can do what you're set to do.. go to law school and focus on that solely..

you are welcome..i am sure that whatever decision that you do make will work out for you...but you do have to realize that the decision is yours.. regardless of your family.. your peers... people on lsd.. no one is going to walk in your shoes but you...
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2005, 12:53:44 PM »
i'm going to be frank for a second... i'm sure that your family... friends.. church..peers etc.. are telling you to go to georgetown and that it's ok to have that 120k debt when you get out of school.. but try looking at it from this pespective.. when you're done with law school.. those debts are going to be yours... the people that have told you to go there won't have a 120k+ loan on their credit report...even if you're making 125k+ coming out of law school you will probably work 60-70 long unenjoyable hours in Big law

you'd probably a huge chunk taken out of your check for loans because the quicker  you pay it off..the sooner your credit score will change.. and the less amount of interest you'll incur.. only a small amount of your loan repayments will actually go towards principle over a long period of time .. the loans are going to be on your back not theres.. 

your interest rate on a house is going to be significantly higher with those student loans on your credit report (no matter what people tell you it hits your credit at least 3 times) your interest rate on a car note is going to be higher.. take  all of this into account when you're making this serious life altering decision

HBCU.EDU

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2005, 12:56:15 PM »
Don't be a fool. Go to Howard.