Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 306517 times)

cd08

• View Profile
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #2360 on: May 22, 2009, 02:08:48 PM »
I, too, am a 1L (well rising 2L) at HU.

I was accepted to several t25 schools, but at the end of the day, HUSL was far superior when it came to ROI (return on investment). I must preface by saying that I was given more than a full scholarship, which, of course, was very influential in my initial decision; however, now that I'm here, I would highly recommend the school regardless of the scholarship. Why? 1.) Even if you are paying full tuition, HUSL is still much less expensive than many comparable schools. 2.) My academic experience has been nothing short of the best-- my professors are truly amazing and always eager to engage the students. 3.) The employment opportunities that I have received have been very impressive even in this tough economy,

I’d like to take a moment to expand on point #3 since it is many peoples primary reason for choosing law school-- I know it was mine. This year I had many, many interviews. In addition –- and certainly one of my most memorable moments--I was able to have dinner with Wachtell ( yes, the #1 firm in the country). Moreover, there were tons of scholarships and summer associate position opportunities that were designed solely for HU students—I happen to be the benefit of one of those summer associate positions.  With that being said, many of the board members spend much time debating about the motivation behind employers’ willingness to come to the HUSL: are they only there to say the went? Do they actually hire? Are they there only because they are black? My point, whatever their motivation, they are here, and in an economy where firms are cutting visits left and right, that is most important. After all, the opportunity is a predecessor to the actual offer. ( I have many friends at top tier law school who have not received the same opps.)

Nonetheless, if you choose HU, you must be prepared to come and do well. You must be especially conscious of the stereotypes of minorities in the legal profession, and you must be determined to prove them false. AND you must be committed to the legacy of continuing greatness. The students who come with this attitude will do best at Howard, and they will certainly be able to tap into the resources of the legacy that is the HUSL.

jsimp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2361 on: June 27, 2009, 01:21:16 AM »
Do many 1L get paid summer associate jobs. If so, how well, and with what type of firms?

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: June 27, 2009, 04:42:48 AM »
Do many 1L get paid summer associate jobs. If so, how well, and with what type of firms?

No, in fact most 1Ls DON'T get summer associate jobs.

If you do get one, you get paid market ($3100/wk) in NY and DC for most firms.

Most firms hire 1-2 really high caliber 1Ls.

YLS c/o 2009

jsimp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2363 on: August 07, 2009, 11:40:28 AM »
Thinking about applying to Howard next year, 2010, and was wondering if I had any chance of getting scholarships from Howard with a 2.8 GPA and a 162 on the LSAT? Black, male, graduating from the University of Georgia, majoring in Economics and Sociology..

vansondon

« Reply #2364 on: August 07, 2009, 02:45:14 PM »
Thinking about applying to Howard next year, 2010, and was wondering if I had any chance of getting scholarships from Howard with a 2.8 GPA and a 162 on the LSAT? Black, male, graduating from the University of Georgia, majoring in Economics and Sociology..

Definitely.  Not sure if it will be a full scholarship with your GPA, but definitely something (at least 15k/year).

jsimp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2365 on: August 08, 2009, 01:53:51 PM »
Can anyone comment on the JD/MBA program at Howard? Do you have to have 2 years of work experience to apply. I want to get mines right after undergad.

jsimp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2366 on: August 08, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
Is a MBA from Howard really worth it if you are going to receive a law degree from the school. I'm asking because I'm interested in going into Corporate Law and just want to have the best chances landing a job.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: August 09, 2009, 08:00:10 PM »
Is a MBA from Howard really worth it if you are going to receive a law degree from the school. I'm asking because I'm interested in going into Corporate Law and just want to have the best chances landing a job.

A MBA is never worth it if you're going to be a lawyer. If you're trying to go into finance or consulting, then maybe.
YLS c/o 2009

vansondon

« Reply #2368 on: August 09, 2009, 09:04:38 PM »

I think it can certainly make you more marketable.  Of the many combined JD/Masters programs out there, I think the JD/MBA is the most useful and versatile for lawyers.  The degree complements the JD very well, especially in the corporate arena, but the degrees can be used across a number of arenas, sectors, and areas of law.  Ultimately though, the MBA isn't a necessity as lawyers delve in the same practice areas whether they have the MBA or not.  But depending on what job/career path you're seeking, the MBA can give you a boost, allowing your credentials to stand out much more from other applicants and eventually among your colleagues.

A plus is that the cost for earning both degrees together beats the cost of obtaining them separately.

Tough call.

Ms. Lawlessness

• View Profile
Anyone get a free ride to Howard Law Shcool?
« Reply #2369 on: August 14, 2009, 11:30:56 PM »
Did anyone get a free ride to Howard law school ??? If you did, can  you tell me what your GPA range and Lsat Scores were? I would greatly appreciate it! :D