Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 299135 times)

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #2320 on: March 19, 2009, 05:28:39 PM »
Hello All,

HBCU law schools have successfully educated African American attorneys for SEVERAL centuries and they continue uphold this legacy into 2009.  Choosing to attend an HBCU for a culturally diverse experience is an admirable and honorable desire.  Please do not let anyone tell you differently.

Moreover, several law firms specifically target diverse law schools for minority candidates, which often INCREASES your likelihood of landing a great internship/job placement.

In regards to quality of education between NCCU Law v. Howard Law, the scores speak for themselves.  NCCU Law is the ONLY HBCU law school that is not in jeopardy of being affected by the new ABA bar passage rate standards.  NCCU Law has the highest bar passage rate of ALL FIVE HBCU law schools.  NCCU Law is an esteemed, nationally acclaimed institution in which you would receive a great legal experience that is rich in culture and history.  From the past Governor of NC (Mike Easley) to Willie Gary, NCCU Law continues to produce the best and brightest attorneys in the state of NC and the nation. ;D

Here is a break down of the most updated Bar Passage rates for the HBCU Law schools on the LSAC website.
1.  NCCU Law 82%
2.  Southern Law 63%
3.  Howard Law 62% 
4.  Texas Southern Law 56%
5.  FAMU Law 55%

Also, go take a look at the job placement rates on the LSAC website.  They also speak volumes.  Howard is a great school with a rich history (as all the HBCU law school are...).  However, by these scores and objectively speaking, it is currently not best. :-\  NCCU Law is currently best HBCU law school in the nation.  Be sure to go research for yourself!

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2006/07/24/daily4.html

lol
YLS c/o 2009

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: March 24, 2009, 10:59:44 PM »
Isn't it true that Howard Law grads invariably take the D.C. and NY BARS, whereas NCCU Grads take the relatively easier NC BAR? Or am I wrong about the relative difficulties of the BAR exams?

I can't speak to the NC bar, but that NY bar is NOOOOOOOOOO JOKE!!! 

And to somewhat answer your question, from all accounts that I have come across a substantial amount of Howard grads take the NY bar, so yeah that seems to be correct.

So then, it would make sense that BAR passage rates are somewhat skewed by the differences in difficulty between state BAR exams. This is an important note that gets overlooked when speaking of relative BAR passage rates by ethnicity. I tend to think that Black law students, in general, seek big city jobs and are more likely to want to live in the most competitive markets, particularly in the east.

And, yes, the NY BAR is notoriously more difficult than are most others, excluding CA, the nation's toughest.

After NY, I would assume FL, IL, D.C., TX, MA, GA, and LA have the toughest...ironically, the most populated states and metro areas.

So why doesn't anyone control for exam difficulty when studying and examining BAR passage rates? It would appear that ethnic minorities would still not do as well as Whites, but fare much better than is currently indicated. And it would seem to debunk the theory that NCCU grads are better prepared for law practice than are Howard graduates. NCCU grads are taking an easier BAR, and they are primarily White, so the usual disparities in BAR passage nationally and by ethnicity contribute somewhat to the statistic, as well.

In other words...NCCU better than Howard Law? I DON'T THINK SO!!

Anyways, that is somewhat off-topic.

As far as Whites attending HBCU's, I won't touch it, b/c I have debated this point with someone else, and the guy called me an "Uncle Tom" for my open-minded view on it.   

Your observation re the difference in bar passage at the two schools is likely on point. Most Howard Grads are shooting for the big markets, NY, LA, etc.  NY and CA are generally considered the two hardest bar exams in the nation, thus, lower bar passage rates are to be expected here as opposed to a school that avoids these two states.

And speaking of which, I put the NY bar exam up to the Pepsi challenge with the CA bar exam any day of the week.  CA's bar passage rate is low because they allow anybody to take it, but if you compare ABA schools to ABA schools, that gap is erased.  Furthermore, NY has significantly more topics which is what kills you when you are trying to study for a bar exam.  In fact I wanna say NY and VA are the two states with the most topics in the whole country but I haven't looked at my BarBri info in a while...
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: March 25, 2009, 06:27:26 AM »
In fact I wanna say NY and VA are the two states with the most topics in the whole country but I haven't looked at my BarBri info in a while...

I haven't looked in a while either, but I'll back you up on this statement.  In fact, one of my CA friends who thinks the CA bar is overrated made just this point the other day.  VA has like 26 subjects...ridiculous.

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: March 25, 2009, 07:08:46 AM »
Well my firm won't pay for bar expenses unless I take the Maryland, Virginia or DC bar. I was so disappointed I couldn't take the NY bar ;) Guess I'll have to settle for MD :)
YLS c/o 2009

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: March 25, 2009, 04:56:15 PM »
I have no knowlegde on the Bar exams topic but I am curious on why  I never hear anyone saying they are taking the D.C bar. Its always NY or MD (now i think of it I never hear anyone saying they are taking the VA bar either but not as much as the reference to DC)
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

"That One"

• View Profile
« Reply #2325 on: March 25, 2009, 05:51:46 PM »
I have no knowlegde on the Bar exams topic but I am curious on why  I never hear anyone saying they are taking the D.C bar. Its always NY or MD (now i think of it I never hear anyone saying they are taking the VA bar either but not as much as the reference to DC)

DC bar is easy to waive into, so essentially you are getting a "two for one deal." 

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: March 25, 2009, 08:58:39 PM »

I took VA, and I know a lot of other people who did.  Among my (admittedly DC-focused) friends, it was probably the most popular after NY.  In fact, I can think of only a couple of people who took MD.  The VA bar is much more useful for litigation, fyi.

And yeah, no one takes the DC bar unless they fail VA or MD.  Why not get the two-for-one?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: March 25, 2009, 09:21:11 PM »

DC bar is easy to waive into, so essentially you are getting a "two for one deal." 

Exactly.  As long as you make a 133/200 on the MBE you can waive into DC with any state.  So you might as well take another state.

In fact I wanna say NY and VA are the two states with the most topics in the whole country but I haven't looked at my BarBri info in a while...

I haven't looked in a while either, but I'll back you up on this statement.  In fact, one of my CA friends who thinks the CA bar is overrated made just this point the other day.  VA has like 26 subjects...ridiculous.

Exactly.  VA is crazy.  CA is overrated:

CALIFORNIA:
1. Civil Procedure
2. Corporations
3. CA Community Property
4. CA Professional Responsibility
5. Remedies
6. Trusts
7. CA Wills & Succession
8. Property
9. Torts
10. Contracts
11. Crim Law
12. Con Law
13. Evidence

That's it for CA.  

I wish that's all we had to worry about.  Meanwhile...

NEW YORK:

1. Agency
2. Commercial Paper
3. Conflict of Laws
4. Corporations
5. Domestic Relations
6. Equity
7. Federal Jurisdiction
8. Future Interests
9. Insurance (No Fault)
10. Mortgages
11. New York Practice & Procedure
12. New York Professional Responsibility
13. Partnership
14. Personal Property
15. Secured Transactions
16. Trusts
17. Wills
18. Workers' Compensation
19. Property
20. Torts
21. Contracts
22. Crim Law
23. Con Law
24. Evidence

Nearly TWICE as many subjects as CA.  And when you consider you have to spend about...oh I dunno...at least about half a week trying to learn each individual subject, the difference between the two exams becomes apparent.  California has an extra 3rd day but so what?  After you've been dedicating 3 months of your life to an exam, the difference between it being either 2 or 3 days is de minimis.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

1Swift

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2328 on: March 25, 2009, 09:47:57 PM »
I'm in a interesting situation here...I didnt think I'd get into any schools much less with scholarship Offers. I'm a West coast guy, Love to stay and work in SF...not sure what Field I'm in but I'd love to be gainfully employed coming out of this

so far I have offers

Howard: 20K (22k Tuition)
USF: 26K (37,230K Tuition)
Santa Clara: 18.5K (38,040 Tuition)

The most significant offer here is Howard but factoring in that I could pretty much live Rent Free at either CA school..Its tough to weight these options here..Anyone got any insight on what to do in this situation

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: March 26, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
Sorry brah!! I only know about Howard and not too much about the other schools you listed. Speaking on Howard, career wise you will be straight coming out of Howard and also Howard places relatively well around the nation so you might actually get to go back to Cali and work after graduation (I don't know the exact numbers but You will probably have to do really well to make that happen though). Also the cost of living in DC is pretty high, on Howard's website it says cost of living is 23K (although many students I have talked to say it is much higher than that in actuality), maybe its because they only calculate for 9months instead of 12 months a year.

That is all I got for you lol, but congrats on your successful cycle (even if you didn't expect it lol). Its a good problem to have :)
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!