Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 299593 times)

Pacavelli

• Ain't nothin to it, gangsta rap made me do it.
    • View Profile
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #2260 on: June 13, 2008, 10:06:48 AM »
Gotcha, off to another thread.
Stereotypes of a black male misunderstood, but it's still all good.
-Christopher Wallace

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: June 29, 2008, 09:35:17 AM »
methinks someone should be studying for the bar.
YLS c/o 2009

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: June 29, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »
Meh.

msjaeatlaw

• I can accept failure. But i can't accept not tryin
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MSJAEATLAW
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2263 on: July 18, 2008, 12:19:45 PM »
I know this is probably really late but I am trying to go to HUSL in fall of 2009. I'm writing my personal statement and I was wondering about the atmosphere and extracurricular activities? is it cutthroat like some like to suppose or is it really the nurturing environment that you see everyday? Also I've been to an HBCU for undergrad and i understand the frustrations with the schools, I was wondering is the experience different? :o I've researched the HELL OUT OF HUSL! so I'm absolutely positive that I want to go there, but i'm wondering about some of the things they dont tell you..the bad parts, living situations, are there good places to live, are the professors helpful and it the experience worth it?
INJUSTICE ANYWHERE IS A THREAT TO JUSTICE ANYWHERE

MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR

Nowhere Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • You know who is a Blackstar? Who? Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: July 22, 2008, 09:38:56 AM »
I currently go to a HBCU law school.

I think most on here will tell you to go the best school you can get into. And I agree.

Law school and everything in it is about trying to maximize your job opportunities.

So without sounding so cynical, gently take off your rose-colored glasses and see what the best school you can get into is.
But when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out, in!

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: July 23, 2008, 08:28:42 AM »

I think most on here will tell you to go the best school you can get into. And I agree.

Law school and everything in it is about trying to maximize your job opportunities.

So without sounding so cynical, gently take off your rose-colored glasses and see what the best school you can get into is.

Disagree. While the furor over getting a good job right out of law school is important, there are other considerations. The view you take is short-sighted and a bit overly simplistic.

I think Howard would be a great law school to choose over even some of the better law schools if you're from a heavy black area and want to go into politics.

I'd also say go to Howard if you're probably smarter than most of the people there. Look, Howard is going to give the top of the class the same or better opps as the kids at the most elite institutions. I turned down harvard (UG) to go to howard using the same rationale (plus I didn't wanna pay for school) and it worked out fine.

Here's a situation where going to the best school probably hurts the guy. Say he gets into BC and Howard. At Howard his LSAT GPA range suggests he'll be in the top 10% whereas he'll probably only be in the middle of the class at BC. BC is a "better" law school, but he'll probably have more opportunities at Howard.
YLS c/o 2009

Nowhere Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • You know who is a Blackstar? Who? Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: July 23, 2008, 01:54:56 PM »

Disagree. While the furor over getting a good job right out of law school is important, there are other considerations. The view you take is short-sighted and a bit overly simplistic.

I think Howard would be a great law school to choose over even some of the better law schools if you're from a heavy black area and want to go into politics.

I'd also say go to Howard if you're probably smarter than most of the people there. Look, Howard is going to give the top of the class the same or better opps as the kids at the most elite institutions. I turned down harvard (UG) to go to howard using the same rationale (plus I didn't wanna pay for school) and it worked out fine.

Here's a situation where going to the best school probably hurts the guy. Say he gets into BC and Howard. At Howard his LSAT GPA range suggests he'll be in the top 10% whereas he'll probably only be in the middle of the class at BC. BC is a "better" law school, but he'll probably have more opportunities at Howard.

I didn't realize HUSL meant Howard. That day I was probably skimming instead of reading.

I just thought the OP wanted to go to ANY HBCU Law school.

If the OP wants to go to Howard, then I concur with everything you just said above.

My bad OP.

To me Howard is the exception.
But when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out, in!

Pacavelli

• Ain't nothin to it, gangsta rap made me do it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: July 24, 2008, 08:35:22 PM »

I feel you Galt, but you lost me with your "if you're probably smarter than most of the people there" assumption.  It seems that you are implying, or making the false assumption that if one's stats (LSAT/GPA) at the top of their incoming class, it is likely that they will end up in the top 10% of their class.  Your comment seems to make absolutely no sense when you consider the vast number of schools and disciplines represented in a typical incoming class.  Although undergrad stats serve as significant criteria in the application process, it seems impossible for those stats to accurately reflect, or project, one's ability to learn and effectively communicate on law school exams.
But you do currently go to an HBCU, so you may know better?
Stereotypes of a black male misunderstood, but it's still all good.
-Christopher Wallace

kyra20

• View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: August 25, 2008, 11:05:13 PM »
This is my first post...I am beginning my senior year.  I have a 2.8 and I am a finance major at Howard.

I have not taken the LSAT.  What are my chances of getting into law school?

What is the best study material for the LSAT?

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: August 25, 2008, 11:22:07 PM »

I feel you Galt, but you lost me with your "if you're probably smarter than most of the people there" assumption.  It seems that you are implying, or making the false assumption that if one's stats (LSAT/GPA) at the top of their incoming class, it is likely that they will end up in the top 10% of their class.  Your comment seems to make absolutely no sense when you consider the vast number of schools and disciplines represented in a typical incoming class.  Although undergrad stats serve as significant criteria in the application process, it seems impossible for those stats to accurately reflect, or project, one's ability to learn and effectively communicate on law school exams.
But you do currently go to an HBCU, so you may know better?

hmmmm....

I don't go to a HBCU and I think one can look at the competition and then size them up and make a determination for themselves.

YLS c/o 2009