Law School Discussion

The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread

Lawprofessor

• Pony Up!
    • View Profile
Re: BLSD'ers: GW vs. Howard
« Reply #220 on: June 14, 2005, 02:50:43 PM »

Thanks alot for your input. I really appreciate it.  However, I was wondering if you could expound on what I've bolded above.  What does your brother think of it?  Also, how is the social interaction between men and women? Quality of teaching?

I know about the administration from undergrad  >:(

Basically what my understanding is from the current students about the male-female interaction is this. The dudes think they are the best thing since sliced bread and it's kind of like a hiearchy there. They usually are in the key leadership positions in the SBA etc. Socially, I've heard that they tend to take advantage of the females there. Of course, I'm not saying that this goes for every male, but a significant enough amount for me to view it as a negative when deciding on schools. As for the teaching quality, I know some people who have hired Howard grads (not in the top of their class) and a good number of those grads do not have the analytical, critical thinking, reasoning and writing skills then some of their counterparts at top universities such as GW and GTown. Now this could be a result of HUSL or it could be a result of their previous preparation, or both combined. Again all this has been told to me.

I don't want to make it seem like HUSL is the worst school. Honestly, if I hadn't gotten into GTown, I would be at Howard (that would be if I didn't get off the waitlist at UVA). I know a few people there, again, who enjoyed their experience, and are doing well and being recruited by the top firms (they are top of their class though). It really just depends on what you are looking for in a school.

Why would someone hire a student or graduate that does not have analytical, critical thinking, reasoning and writing skills.  Something sounds fishy about that one.  And just how many is it, is it enough to make a statistical comparison?

« Reply #221 on: June 14, 2005, 03:26:16 PM »

Why would someone hire a student or graduate that does not have analytical, critical thinking, reasoning and writing skills.  Something sounds fishy about that one.  And just how many is it, is it enough to make a statistical comparison?

I don't think I said "does not have." I basically said it wasn't up to par with some of the grads that they hired from top universities. One of the key ways to get a job is networking and the HUSL network is tight. Thats how people get hired. As for the statistical comparison, it would be wrong for me to say I have one because I haven't done an actual study. Again I am not saying that my sources said ALL grads, just some of the ones the people I know have hired.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 14, 2005, 05:52:39 PM »
I wished this convo existed 2 months ago. But still I am glad with my decision. GW rejected me (to my surprise), and I got into both Georgetown and Howard. Howard gave me a $15,000 and later increased it to a full ride after I told them I would be going to Georgetown. It was a tough decision and in the end my decision was based on a lot more than money. The money from HUSL was tempting, but I visited both schools and talked to students and alum for both schools and I decided that I was willing to go into debt to attend Georgetown. I compared things like: faculty, resources, classes, student satisfaction, environment, and opportunities. I also considered the advice of family (my dad is a HUSL grad and my bro currently goes there) and sorors (a lot of my chapter sorors went to HUSL). There were certain things about Howard that didn't sit well with me, IE how men and women interacted with each other on both a educational and social level, the lack of efficiency of its administration, and the quality of teaching. HUSL is a small school and though its only T3, I know a number of people who have graduated from there (all in the top of their class) that are doing well. But in the end, again, it just wasn't for me.

I like how you pimped Howard with G-Town.  Good stuff. That's how the game is played. Let these law schools battle over you.

elegantpearl01

« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2005, 06:00:58 PM »
All black guys in law school think they are the best thing since sliced bread, that's not confined to HBCUs...

Roxie, I didn't go to a private school, I went to the University of Florida, I had a full academic fellowship. 

The administration's philsopohy at HBCUs (period, not just law schools) is very different than that at white schools, although I LOVE FAMU, I hated our administration.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 14, 2005, 06:13:38 PM »
All black guys in law school think they are the best thing since sliced bread, that's not confined to HBCUs...

Roxie, I didn't go to a private school, I went to the University of Florida, I had a full academic fellowship. 

The administration's philsopohy at HBCUs (period, not just law schools) is very different than that at white schools, although I LOVE FAMU, I hated our administration.

Hey, lay off the brothers in law school, counselor

elegantpearl01

« Reply #225 on: June 14, 2005, 06:15:02 PM »

Sands, aren't you the law school player?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 14, 2005, 06:15:44 PM »

Don't you wish.

elegantpearl01

« Reply #227 on: June 14, 2005, 06:18:47 PM »

Don't you wish.

Nah, I know you are.. I'm sure you'll be the law firm player.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 14, 2005, 06:25:55 PM »

Don't you wish.

Not after reviewing these harrassment cases.  These cats get into e-mails and everything!  No thank you.

I got 99 problems but...

elegantpearl01

« Reply #229 on: June 14, 2005, 06:29:22 PM »

Don't you wish.

Not after reviewing these harrassment cases.  These cats get into e-mails and everything!  No thank you.

I got 99 problems but...

That's really real there...but you still a law school playa...lol..you a pimp from way back..