Law School Discussion

The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread

Lawprofessor

• Pony Up!
    • View Profile
Re: BLSD'ers: GW vs. Howard
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2005, 11:06:08 AM »
Hi Roxie, I don't know if this is directed at me, but I'll be paying with money I've saved this summer and with the help of my parents.

It was a question for everyone.

That is great that you have help...and that you saved.  I had a wonderful savings plan mapped out for this year and guess how much I saved....$0.00.  I am so mad at myself.

My parents plan to help me too - but I feel guilty!!

Dont feel guilty, that is what parents are for.  And if they didnt want to help, they wouldnt.

Lawprofessor

• Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 14, 2005, 11:08:12 AM »
co-sign on the bolded parts. I was wondering the same thing about this post.

I have heard HORROR STORIES about the administration.  Why is it so bad? ???

The admin at all of the HBCU law schools are bad.  They just dont take care of business the way they should.  They dont make decisions until the last minute.  They mess up things and loose things.  They blame you for their mistakes.  They dont seem to care about you or anything else.

Lawprofessor

• Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 14, 2005, 11:10:21 AM »
I wished this convo existed 2 months ago. But still I am glad with my decision. GW rejected me (to my surprise), and I got into both Georgetown and Howard. Howard gave me a $15,000 and later increased it to a full ride after I told them I would be going to Georgetown. It was a tough decision and in the end my decision was based on a lot more than money. The money from HUSL was tempting, but I visited both schools and talked to students and alum for both schools and I decided that I was willing to go into debt to attend Georgetown. I compared things like: faculty, resources, classes, student satisfaction, environment, and opportunities. I also considered the advice of family (my dad is a HUSL grad and my bro currently goes there) and sorors (a lot of my chapter sorors went to HUSL). There were certain things about Howard that didn't sit well with me, IE how men and women interacted with each other on both a educational and social level, the lack of efficiency of its administration, and the quality of teaching. HUSL is a small school and though its only T3, I know a number of people who have graduated from there (all in the top of their class) that are doing well. But in the end, again, it just wasn't for me.

Well ultimately, you were able to make the right decision for you.  I am very happy that you made the best choice for your situation.  I wish you the best of luck during law school.

Roxie

• Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: June 14, 2005, 12:24:55 PM »
Hi Roxie, I don't know if this is directed at me, but I'll be paying with money I've saved this summer and with the help of my parents.

That is great that you have help...and that you saved.  I had a wonderful savings plan mapped out for this year and guess how much I saved....$0.00.  I am so mad at myself.

Dont feel guilty, that is what parents are for.  And if they didnt want to help, they wouldnt.

Even if they are old and gray and I should really be tkaing care of them??? ???

Lawprofessor

• Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2005, 12:33:44 PM »

If you KNOW you are taking money from them that they need to survive, I would say dont take it.  If they have the money, I would say take  it and make them proud.  I dont believe parenting ends at 18 or 21 or whatever arbitrary age people have set up in their minds.  Good parents are always going to support (either financially, mentally, spiritually, physically or any other way they need to) their children in their life if they see them doing something productive.  Your parents obviously think that going to law school is something productive.  They obviously think they can afford to assist you in your journey.  Only they know if they can afford it. I would trust that they know what they are doing. 

jdohno

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2005, 12:42:18 PM »
It looks like you evaluate everything. You made a good decision. Good luck at Georgetown this year. I might be there with you. I'm still deciding if I am going to Georgetown but I'm waiting to hear on my transfer application to UVA. Did you tell Georgetown about Howard's offer and did they give you any money?

I wished this convo existed 2 months ago. But still I am glad with my decision. GW rejected me (to my surprise), and I got into both Georgetown and Howard. Howard gave me a $15,000 and later increased it to a full ride after I told them I would be going to Georgetown. It was a tough decision and in the end my decision was based on a lot more than money. The money from HUSL was tempting, but I visited both schools and talked to students and alum for both schools and I decided that I was willing to go into debt to attend Georgetown. I compared things like: faculty, resources, classes, student satisfaction, environment, and opportunities. I also considered the advice of family (my dad is a HUSL grad and my bro currently goes there) and sorors (a lot of my chapter sorors went to HUSL). There were certain things about Howard that didn't sit well with me, IE how men and women interacted with each other on both a educational and social level, the lack of efficiency of its administration, and the quality of teaching. HUSL is a small school and though its only T3, I know a number of people who have graduated from there (all in the top of their class) that are doing well. But in the end, again, it just wasn't for me.

Roxie

• Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2005, 01:00:05 PM »

If you KNOW you are taking money from them that they need to survive, I would say dont take it.  If they have the money, I would say take  it and make them proud.  I dont believe parenting ends at 18 or 21 or whatever arbitrary age people have set up in their minds.  Good parents are always going to support (either financially, mentally, spiritually, physically or any other way they need to) their children in their life if they see them doing something productive.  Your parents obviously think that going to law school is something productive.  They obviously think they can afford to assist you in your journey.  Only they know if they can afford it. I would trust that they know what they are doing. 

Of course.  They know what they are doing.  My mother and father are so generous and I appreciate it more than they know.  I will just be so happy when I am finally in a position to try to pay them back in some way.  They are extremely proud of me, but I would love to be able to break them off with a serious check one day!

I think 35 should be the cut-off!!!!! ;D  That is really enough time to get your life together, RIGHT???

Lawprofessor

• Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 14, 2005, 01:12:43 PM »

Of course.  They know what they are doing.  My mother and father are so generous and I appreciate it more than they know.  I will just be so happy when I am finally in a position to try to pay them back in some way.  They are extremely proud of me, but I would love to be able to break them off with a serious check one day!

I think 35 should be the cut-off!!!!! ;D  That is really enough time to get your life together, RIGHT???

Well, make sure you tell them often about how you feel and appreciate them.  That I am sure is more important to them than any payback of some sort.  I am sure they are proud of you.  Uhhh, 35 is probably more than enough time to get yourself together.  Yeah, if you dont have yourself together by 35, something is wrong.  Although, I would say, even at that, you should never be ashamed to ask your parents to assist you in some way if you need it.

« Reply #218 on: June 14, 2005, 01:19:01 PM »

Thanks alot for your input. I really appreciate it.  However, I was wondering if you could expound on what I've bolded above.  What does your brother think of it?  Also, how is the social interaction between men and women? Quality of teaching?

I know about the administration from undergrad  >:(

Basically what my understanding is from the current students about the male-female interaction is this. The dudes think they are the best thing since sliced bread and it's kind of like a hiearchy there. They usually are in the key leadership positions in the SBA etc. Socially, I've heard that they tend to take advantage of the females there. Of course, I'm not saying that this goes for every male, but a significant enough amount for me to view it as a negative when deciding on schools. As for the teaching quality, I know some people who have hired Howard grads (not in the top of their class) and a good number of those grads do not have the analytical, critical thinking, reasoning and writing skills then some of their counterparts at top universities such as GW and GTown. Now this could be a result of HUSL or it could be a result of their previous preparation, or both combined. Again all this has been told to me.

I don't want to make it seem like HUSL is the worst school. Honestly, if I hadn't gotten into GTown, I would be at Howard (that would be if I didn't get off the waitlist at UVA). I know a few people there, again, who enjoyed their experience, and are doing well and being recruited by the top firms (they are top of their class though). It really just depends on what you are looking for in a school.

faith2005

« Reply #219 on: June 14, 2005, 01:30:42 PM »
lol, don't black guys at most law schools think they're the best thing since sliced bread. i thought that was a given... :D