Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 299215 times)

elegantpearl01

Re: BLSD'ers: GW vs. Howard
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2005, 06:53:13 AM »
Don't get caught up in those "median" salaries. Howard isn't a top tier school and I'm all for top tier schools, but I think Howard is special because of its history. Anyone wanting to go to a Historically Black College or University (HBCU) I fully support. Howard has a special place in the legal history of this country and I think a minority can do VERY WELL going there. 

When I went off to college, I had several full scholarships to predominately white institutions and HBCUs. I chose to continue my family tradition and I selected a HBCU, specifically FAMU.  I had friends who told me my opportunities would be limited, but truthfully, I've had more opportunities than I would have going to a non-HBCU. 

Bottom line is, at the end of the day you gotta go where you fit best.  Personally, I'm all for no law school debt. I have a couple of small loans (bar study loan and small loans from grad school) that I whine about paying every month. I can't fathom six-figure loan debt.

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2005, 01:12:07 PM »
Don't get caught up in those "median" salaries. Howard isn't a top tier school and I'm all for top tier schools, but I think Howard is special because of its history. Anyone wanting to go to a Historically Black College or University (HBCU) I fully support. Howard has a special place in the legal history of this country and I think a minority can do VERY WELL going there. 

When I went off to college, I had several full scholarships to predominately white institutions and HBCUs. I chose to continue my family tradition and I selected a HBCU, specifically FAMU.  I had friends who told me my opportunities would be limited, but truthfully, I've had more opportunities than I would have going to a non-HBCU. 

Bottom line is, at the end of the day you gotta go where you fit best.  Personally, I'm all for no law school debt. I have a couple of small loans (bar study loan and small loans from grad school) that I whine about paying every month. I can't fathom six-figure loan debt.

Not to be all up in your business, but how did you pay for your living expenses?  DC is sooooo expensive, but I am definitely keeping my apartment.  I could move back home, but a hellified commute coupled with dealing with my siblings on a daily basis is a recipe for flunking out by Halloween!!!!!
Think before you speak.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2005, 01:34:57 PM »

Not to be all up in your business, but how did you pay for your living expenses?  DC is sooooo expensive, but I am definitely keeping my apartment.  I could move back home, but a hellified commute coupled with dealing with my siblings on a daily basis is a recipe for flunking out by Halloween!!!!!

Can you take out a loan for expenses?  What about living in Maryland to help with cost of living? 
Back in the saddle again.

ckendall8kp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2005, 01:51:10 PM »
I wished this convo existed 2 months ago. But still I am glad with my decision. GW rejected me (to my surprise), and I got into both Georgetown and Howard. Howard gave me a $15,000 and later increased it to a full ride after I told them I would be going to Georgetown. It was a tough decision and in the end my decision was based on a lot more than money. The money from HUSL was tempting, but I visited both schools and talked to students and alum for both schools and I decided that I was willing to go into debt to attend Georgetown. I compared things like: faculty, resources, classes, student satisfaction, environment, and opportunities. I also considered the advice of family (my dad is a HUSL grad and my bro currently goes there) and sorors (a lot of my chapter sorors went to HUSL). There were certain things about Howard that didn't sit well with me, IE how men and women interacted with each other on both a educational and social level, the lack of efficiency of its administration, and the quality of teaching. HUSL is a small school and though its only T3, I know a number of people who have graduated from there (all in the top of their class) that are doing well. But in the end, again, it just wasn't for me.

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2005, 01:53:04 PM »
I am going to use my loan $$ for expenses.  I am just jealous of all the people that are/will be totally debt free. ;)  

I am going to stay in the city.  I have checked out places close to the Metro in Md, DC and VA and they are all comparably priced or even more expensive.  Plus, it would cost me an arm and a leg to move.  So there is no point in moving unless I went back home (which would quickly lead to me committing a crime and being kicked out of law school).  If I moved to the burbs, by the time I figure in gas, wear and tear on my raggedy car, time and stress it would be better to just stay where I am.  I was just wondering if people typically take out loans to handle expenses.  I guess the answer is yes. :)
Think before you speak.

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2005, 01:57:17 PM »
I wished this convo existed 2 months ago. But still I am glad with my decision. GW rejected me (to my surprise), and I got into both Georgetown and Howard. Howard gave me a $15,000 and later increased it to a full ride after I told them I would be going to Georgetown. It was a tough decision and in the end my decision was based on a lot more than money. The money from HUSL was tempting, but I visited both schools and talked to students and alum for both schools and I decided that I was willing to go into debt to attend Georgetown. I compared things like: faculty, resources, classes, student satisfaction, environment, and opportunities. I also considered the advice of family (my dad is a HUSL grad and my bro currently goes there) and sorors (a lot of my chapter sorors went to HUSL). There were certain things about Howard that didn't sit well with me, IE how men and women interacted with each other on both a educational and social level, the lack of efficiency of its administration, and the quality of teaching. HUSL is a small school and though its only T3, I know a number of people who have graduated from there (all in the top of their class) that are doing well. But in the end, again, it just wasn't for me.

Thanks alot for your input. I really appreciate it.  However, I was wondering if you could expound on what I've bolded above.  What does your brother think of it?  Also, how is the social interaction between men and women? Quality of teaching?

I know about the administration from undergrad  >:(
The George Washington University Law School c/o 2008

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2005, 01:58:26 PM »

Hi Roxie, I don't know if this is directed at me, but I'll be paying with money I've saved this summer and with the help of my parents.

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2005, 01:59:34 PM »
co-sign on the bolded parts. I was wondering the same thing about this post.

I have heard HORROR STORIES about the administration.  Why is it so bad? ???
Think before you speak.

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #208 on: June 14, 2005, 02:01:22 PM »
Hi Roxie, I don't know if this is directed at me, but I'll be paying with money I've saved this summer and with the help of my parents.

It was a question for everyone.

That is great that you have help...and that you saved.  I had a wonderful savings plan mapped out for this year and guess how much I saved....$0.00.  I am so mad at myself.

My parents plan to help me too - but I feel guilty!!
Think before you speak.

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 14, 2005, 02:05:43 PM »
co-sign on the bolded parts. I was wondering the same thing about this post.

I have heard HORROR STORIES about the administration.  Why is it so bad? ???

Let's just say that Howard is...disorganized.  Students have lost their scholarships, I didn't get housing a couple of years, etc.  It can all be rather messy if you don't keep up with things (i.e documentation).