Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 301460 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: BLSD'ers: GW vs. Howard
« Reply #190 on: June 10, 2005, 05:19:07 PM »
that's all I am saying Blue..you are speaking truth here... as a GW law ALUM ;)... I truly believe that you will do just fine at Howard... and the opportunities will definitely be presented to you..

EnFuego22 the opportunities that I was referring to in earlier posts are the opps that blue talked about.. there are jobs at Biglaw firms that are tailored for Howard University Law School students and alums...as I said earlier when it comes down to  it there are some firms that will recruit minorities from Howard Law before they even interview minority students at other DC law schools.. I do know this as fact..

Since blue isn't interested in working in big law (I don't blame her as I've chosen against that as well) your argument isn't really going to work for her...

I've been talking to Blk about this for a while, and I would like to get the opinions of a few others, especially current law students.

Which would you choose:
GW=$150,000 in debt or Howard=no debt?

All opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

What are your plans after you graduate?  Of course those could change but if you're planning on going into a high paying field (meaning the $150k will be more managable) than you should definitely go with GW.  How much of an impact that debt will have on you is important to consider (seeing as we all are going to be in the same boat).  

Howard will provide certain minority opportunities GW won't, but thinking that way seems to be boxing yourself in a little.  As a general rule, unless you are completely dedicated to one specific area, I think it's better to go to the school that will provide the most opportunities in the most locations.  If you've already gone to Howard, then you still have that undergrad network connection, and you won't have problems opening doors with a GW degree.  In general terms, the DC pecking order is going to put GW second, and Howard 5th.  If you're staying in DC (or going national) GW's going to carry a lot more weight.

And numbers/prestige whores drive me nuts, so I hope this doesn't make me sound too much like that!  

I understand what you are saying, but then again you want to go to GW ;D.  

In any event, my observation has been this:
For 0L's-The level of accuracy regarding the information they dispense is minimal at best.  Certainly, for the majority of students that attend law school in the Washington, DC area, the hierarchy you present is pretty much accurate. However, having spoken with a number of Howard law students and alumni, I think that if I work hard, the number of opportunities I'll have coming out of Howard will be no less than say a GW student.

At this point, I'm not remotely interested in working for a firm, so this whole idea of "You'll make enough to pay it back" doesn't really apply to me.

I've come across at least 10 firm/internship opportunities that cater specifically to Howard students.  What I'm trying to say is that the opportunities are out there, you just have to seek them out.  If attending Howard and taking advantage of such opportunities puts me in a "box", then so be it, because in the end I'll be making the same money as the Georgetown graduate.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

elegantpearl01

« Reply #191 on: June 10, 2005, 06:41:13 PM »
that's all I am saying Blue..you are speaking truth here... as a GW law ALUM ;)... I truly believe that you will do just fine at Howard... and the opportunities will definitely be presented to you..

EnFuego22 the opportunities that I was referring to in earlier posts are the opps that blue talked about.. there are jobs at Biglaw firms that are tailored for Howard University Law School students and alums...as I said earlier when it comes down to  it there are some firms that will recruit minorities from Howard Law before they even interview minority students at other DC law schools.. I do know this as fact..

Since blue isn't interested in working in big law (I don't blame her as I've chosen against that as well) your argument isn't really going to work for her...

I've been talking to Blk about this for a while, and I would like to get the opinions of a few others, especially current law students.

Which would you choose:
GW=$150,000 in debt or Howard=no debt?

All opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

What are your plans after you graduate?  Of course those could change but if you're planning on going into a high paying field (meaning the $150k will be more managable) than you should definitely go with GW.  How much of an impact that debt will have on you is important to consider (seeing as we all are going to be in the same boat).  

Howard will provide certain minority opportunities GW won't, but thinking that way seems to be boxing yourself in a little.  As a general rule, unless you are completely dedicated to one specific area, I think it's better to go to the school that will provide the most opportunities in the most locations.  If you've already gone to Howard, then you still have that undergrad network connection, and you won't have problems opening doors with a GW degree.  In general terms, the DC pecking order is going to put GW second, and Howard 5th.  If you're staying in DC (or going national) GW's going to carry a lot more weight.

And numbers/prestige whores drive me nuts, so I hope this doesn't make me sound too much like that!  

I understand what you are saying, but then again you want to go to GW ;D.  

In any event, my observation has been this:
For 0L's-The level of accuracy regarding the information they dispense is minimal at best.  Certainly, for the majority of students that attend law school in the Washington, DC area, the hierarchy you present is pretty much accurate. However, having spoken with a number of Howard law students and alumni, I think that if I work hard, the number of opportunities I'll have coming out of Howard will be no less than say a GW student.

At this point, I'm not remotely interested in working for a firm, so this whole idea of "You'll make enough to pay it back" doesn't really apply to me.

I've come across at least 10 firm/internship opportunities that cater specifically to Howard students.  What I'm trying to say is that the opportunities are out there, you just have to seek them out.  If attending Howard and taking advantage of such opportunities puts me in a "box", then so be it, because in the end I'll be making the same money as the Georgetown graduate.

Reign, just co-signing....I wouldn't bank my future on going into "big law". You might not like and you're stuck with those bills. You will do fine at HU, if you know you don't want to go to a white shoe firm and you have interest that Howard can serve go there. I will always have the greatest respect for Howard, due to the institution's long role spearheading the legal action during the civil rights movement. I think when some firms want black attorneys they go to HBCU law schools....that happens alot in undergrad at HBCUs. 

I think you have to go to the best institution that your money will allow you to go to. I would have hated to graduate with 200K in loans because that would mean that I'm tied to a certain job forever.

Besides after FICA bites your check, that 150K ain't so nice if you don't have a heap of dependents and deductions.

elegantpearl01

« Reply #192 on: June 10, 2005, 09:55:40 PM »
EnFuego, its true that you will be afforded certain opportunities by going to a top tier school, heck, that's one of the reasons I went to my alma mater. But there's great freedom in not being saddled with a heap of debt too. If the folks at your firm make you mad one day, you can leave and take that public sector job without batting an eye.

Let's not forget, the market for attorneys is oversaturated...it's getting better, but the hiring wars are over. There are folks who went to top schools and earned decent grades who don't have jobs. A big part of the whole game requires you to network. You can do that wherever you are at, it's easier at some schools than others. But wherever you go, you can join co-curriculars, become a teaching assistant, get involved in clinical programs, etc. As a minority you have to do those things wherever you go, because the profession is different for people of color, especially black attorneys.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 10, 2005, 10:23:27 PM »
A friend of mine took a full ride to Howard over no $ at GW a few years ago.  She seems not to regret it.  However, I remember her saying that she thought she had to work harder than the GW students to have the same opportunities professionally.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 10, 2005, 10:28:53 PM »
EnFuego, its true that you will be afforded certain opportunities by going to a top tier school, heck, that's one of the reasons I went to my alma mater. But there's great freedom in not being saddled with a heap of debt too. If the folks at your firm make you mad one day, you can leave and take that public sector job without batting an eye.

Let's not forget, the market for attorneys is oversaturated...it's getting better, but the hiring wars are over. There are folks who went to top schools and earned decent grades who don't have jobs. A big part of the whole game requires you to network. You can do that wherever you are at, it's easier at some schools than others. But wherever you go, you can join co-curriculars, become a teaching assistant, get involved in clinical programs, etc. As a minority you have to do those things wherever you go, because the profession is different for people of color, especially black attorneys.

I agree, the legal profession is one that is different for all of us (outside of T14, of course).  I wasn't suggesting there wouldn't be great opportunities presented via Howard, just speaking in general terms.  If at some point the OP wants to step out of the DC area or the Howard alumni network, it might be easier to do so with a GW JD.  (Again, I'm not saying it's impossible to do this with a Howard JD).  I've been a big defender of T3 schools on this board.  
i agree with this.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Roxie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Who wants a clean house!?!?!?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #195 on: June 11, 2005, 09:11:10 AM »
Cream always rises to the top - no matter where you go.

Go to HUSL Blue and do your thing.  I'll see you there. ;D
Think before you speak.

elegantpearl01

« Reply #196 on: June 11, 2005, 03:21:47 PM »

Good statement

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 13, 2005, 03:06:28 PM »

:D
The George Washington University Law School c/o 2008

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 13, 2005, 07:23:10 PM »
HOWARD ALL DAY!!!

Are you kiddin me?  No debt, WHAT?  'Nuff said.  First of all, don't let the rankings fool you.  That USNews cr*p is just that.  Howard is a good law school.  Out here in the City just about all the big name law firms have Howard on their recruiting list.  When it comes time to find black attorneys, they go to two places: Howard and the BLSA career fair.  You effectively will have the same opportunity as somebody coming out of Harvard when it comes to Big Law recruitment.  Have any doubts? Check out nalpdirectory.com and see for yourself.

Let me echo Elegant Pearl b/c the point she's making needs to be reiterated.  Most of us go into Big Law because we have no choice.  Its either do that or work somewhere cheap for the next 40 years paying off our 6 figure debt.  if you can come out with 0 debt...shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii t you got it made.  You can do what you wanna do, as opposed to doing what you have to do.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #199 on: June 14, 2005, 03:30:48 AM »
i don't know but i'd have to side with GW on this one

i like to look at the hard numbers ...

take for example, GW vs. Cornell, first year numbers for first year associates fresh out of law school: (going from memory here but more or less accurate)

average median first year salary: 125,000 / yr - same for both
bar passage rate: Cornell 96.2% GW 95.7%
first year employment: Cornell 95.2% GW 94.7%
etc., with the trend continuing throughout

the point here? the point is that at GW you're going to get a top-rate education that is going to place you amongst an elite group of law school grads....

GW vs. Howard, side by side numbers comparison? we're talking oranges and apples
The Good:Harvard, Stanford
The Bad:
The Ugly: Yale