Law School Discussion

The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread

Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #1880 on: May 24, 2007, 01:01:18 PM »
Well, some people will think this was a stupid move, but oh well.

I only applied to one law school (Howard). I was certain that was where I wanted to go and didn't see the point in dropping a grand in application fees. Well, I was rejected.

No sweat, though I'll just try again next year. In the meantime, I started working on my masters in sociology.

Hardly stupid... and may work in your favor next year.

If you check LSN, caren40 did the same thing: applied late one year and was waitlisted but they filled the class. She called Dean McGahee after the cycle was over to talk candidly about her app and he gave her some tips (namely - apply earlier) and she got in this year.

I'd say you could do the same thing, and you're already considering moves that will enhance your app, so you'll be good to go - and with a masters the next time :)

7S

• Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: May 24, 2007, 01:05:16 PM »

I only applied to one law school (Howard). I was certain that was where I wanted to go and didn't see the point in dropping a grand in application fees. Well, I was rejected.

No sweat, though I'll just try again next year. In the meantime, I started working on my masters in sociology.

If you check LSN, caren40 did the same thing: applied late one year and was waitlisted but they filled the class. She called Dean McGahee after the cycle was over to talk candidly about her app and he gave her some tips (namely - apply earlier) and she got in this year.

I'd say you could do the same thing, and you're already considering moves that will enhance your app, so you'll be good to go - and with a masters the next time :)

yeah, i could have applied a lot earlier. thanks for the advice.

« Reply #1882 on: May 24, 2007, 01:18:46 PM »

I'd say you could do the same thing, and you're already considering moves that will enhance your app, so you'll be good to go - and with a masters the next time

yeah, i could have applied a lot earlier. thanks for the advice.

and she received a $10,000/yr scholarship -- something else to keep in mind.

« Reply #1883 on: May 24, 2007, 03:49:31 PM »

Applying early is the ticket.  I have seen some LSAT's and GPA's get into schools that they should have even been allowed to send an application to and they were accepted because they applied super-early. 

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: May 25, 2007, 06:24:04 PM »
Yeah my bad, I think I phrased that poorly. I was talking more so about difficulty after you got the offer. Bah, I hate networking!

oh sorry Baron.  I see where you were going.  My bad.  For what it is worth, I think this is a problem that all people of color face at a firm.  To put it plainly just 'cause a sista went ivy doesn't mean folk from her alma mater are gonna take her under their wing.  Unfortunately, if people of color want to thrive they are going to have to take that extra step--that means developing relationships with people of color higher up on the foodchain who can talk you through road blocks AND with nillas who can validate you to their coworkers.  And Howard at least is good in the sense that you are likely to have another Howard grad at the firm.  Firm life is a dirty game, but for those with heart, I salute you. 

TITCR

And I'll add that given the relatively new emergence of people of color into the legal profession (and especially within big firms), some of your greatest assets in your professional career will likely not be people of color unfortunately.  We're getting there, but we just don't quite have the numbers yet.  You can still go into firms in NYC and see 0 black folk in 2007.  Therefore if you want to succeed in this profession, you really have to reach out to those outside of the minority circle and make those connections. 

Things like NBLSA and the NBA (that's National Bar Assoc. not basketball) are great resources for black law students and black attorneys, and many of us do get hooked up through these networking tools all the time, but I have to admit that my greatest hookups, including the firm I'll be working for after graduation, came from connects with folks who are not people of color.

It's the way of the beast.

I think a big problem is black people in general at firms. At least in my experience with everyday things, it seems like there is this idea that there can only be one and if there already is one, well then thats that. My aunt is a lawyer also, graduated at the top of her class from a T14 back in the early 90's. She has said that she knows that if she walks into somewhere for an interview and there is another black woman there then she won't get the job. Sadly, she hasn't been proven wrong yet.

« Reply #1885 on: May 25, 2007, 08:10:21 PM »
Texas Southern -- anyone have anything positive to add? I'm considering applying and would like to know the good with the bad.

Note: I went through all 125+ pages and utilized the CTL+F function but information was still limited.

I will be attending this Fall.  Have yet to experience it...except for the poor response from the adminstrative staff.  I've received extensive feedback from individuals on this site.  Very helpful

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: May 29, 2007, 02:25:14 PM »
whats the cut off for big law at howard??

top ten %?

top third?

anyone know?

Tony Montana

• Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: May 30, 2007, 08:19:44 AM »
Between 25-33%

ETA:  That said, there are no specific % that prevents you from applying for Big Law at Howard.  The aforementioned % is based on average.  I've heard of people in the 50% with moot court experience and/or contacts getting into Big Law.

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: May 30, 2007, 09:00:18 AM »
thanks man.  giving howard serious thought.  the money is right.

Tony Montana

• Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: May 30, 2007, 09:08:34 AM »
Sounds good!  Another added benefit, Howard is 60% female.  And, most of them are both smart AND beautiful.