Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 299080 times)

lex19

Re: BLSD'ers: GW vs. Howard
« Reply #180 on: June 10, 2005, 12:30:41 PM »
blue have you followed up with g-town with a letter of interest or anything?? congrats on your choice with howard only you know what's really good for you  ;)

Lenny

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 10, 2005, 02:26:29 PM »
Gypsy,

Very few law students go straight into in-house right after law school, but this is because most companies will only hire laterally from firms, especially if the firm is the major outside counsel for the company.  The pros of in-house is quality of life.  You're not billing hours, you're working 9-5, and you're making decent money.  Of course, private firms pay more, but the first couple years at a firm are rough.  I would say that if your company is going to pay for your Georgetown, the decrease in salary would be more than worth it.  This all depends on how much time you have to commit to the company.  You will be able to have your pick of firms coming from in-house with a GULC JD, so if the committment is only 2 or 3 years, this seems like a no-brainer to me.  Plus, you wouldn't have to mess with job search during law school, which will honestly give you about 10 free hours/week spring of first year and up to 20 free hours fall of 2L. 

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 10, 2005, 02:28:49 PM »
blue have you followed up with g-town with a letter of interest or anything?? congrats on your choice with howard only you know what's really good for you  ;)

Two letters of continued interest to be exact.  They sent an e-mail today stating that they received a strong showing for the second deposit so they'll let us know in July.  Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath on this one.  I'm happy with the choice that I have made.  Good luck with your decision!
The George Washington University Law School c/o 2008

lex19

« Reply #183 on: June 10, 2005, 03:24:27 PM »
i hear ya on the waiting till july....as for myself i'm just gonna plan like i'll be going to school in august, and if it doesn't work out, my momma loves me and will take me in!  ;D

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 10, 2005, 03:32:55 PM »
i hear ya on the waiting till july....as for myself i'm just gonna plan like i'll be going to school in august, and if it doesn't work out, my momma loves me and will take me in!  ;D

lol that's what they are there for. :D

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 10, 2005, 03:48:48 PM »
a little bit. ;D
Back in the saddle again.

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 10, 2005, 03:54:53 PM »
Do you have a Howard JD, LP?

a little bit. ;D

lex19

« Reply #187 on: June 10, 2005, 03:57:43 PM »
lol that's what they are there for. :D

ain't that the trufesses! lu ya moms

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 10, 2005, 04:04:22 PM »
I've been talking to Blk about this for a while, and I would like to get the opinions of a few others, especially current law students.

Which would you choose:
GW=$150,000 in debt or Howard=no debt?

All opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

What are your plans after you graduate?  Of course those could change but if you're planning on going into a high paying field (meaning the $150k will be more managable) than you should definitely go with GW.  How much of an impact that debt will have on you is important to consider (seeing as we all are going to be in the same boat).  

Howard will provide certain minority opportunities GW won't, but thinking that way seems to be boxing yourself in a little.  As a general rule, unless you are completely dedicated to one specific area, I think it's better to go to the school that will provide the most opportunities in the most locations.  If you've already gone to Howard, then you still have that undergrad network connection, and you won't have problems opening doors with a GW degree.  In general terms, the DC pecking order is going to put GW second, and Howard 5th.  If you're staying in DC (or going national) GW's going to carry a lot more weight.

And numbers/prestige whores drive me nuts, so I hope this doesn't make me sound too much like that!  

I understand what you are saying, but then again you want to go to GW ;D.  

In any event, my observation has been this:
For 0L's-The level of accuracy regarding the information they dispense is minimal at best.  Certainly, for the majority of students that attend law school in the Washington, DC area, the hierarchy you present is pretty much accurate. However, having spoken with a number of Howard law students and alumni, I think that if I work hard, the number of opportunities I'll have coming out of Howard will be no less than say a GW student.

At this point, I'm not remotely interested in working for a firm, so this whole idea of "You'll make enough to pay it back" doesn't really apply to me.

I've come across at least 10 firm/internship opportunities that cater specifically to Howard students.  What I'm trying to say is that the opportunities are out there, you just have to seek them out.  If attending Howard and taking advantage of such opportunities puts me in a "box", then so be it, because in the end I'll be making the same money as the Georgetown graduate.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 10, 2005, 04:07:42 PM »
Back in the saddle again.