Law School Discussion

The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #1710 on: February 19, 2007, 06:46:32 PM »

Well, I am a big Redskins fan and with Washington, DC being the legal capital of the world, I feel what better place to study the law than down the street from the White House? So, I schedule a tour of the school like two or three months in advance and call the school once a week before we arrive there the last month. We get there, and there are three people sitting in the Admissions office at the time we arrive. One happens to be a rising 3L who gives the tours. Simply put, she declares and I know she was lying to this day, that she never recieved the emails or anything telling her that we were coming, and not only that the chick just sits there in the office and chats to the secretary for the next 30 minutes while we talk to the admissions counselor. They offer me a sorry slip of paper saying you can take a self-guided tour of the premises. I mean you really had to be there just to witness how pathetic the service and hospitality of this school was, and on top of it all I went last year after the admissions cycle was over just so I would not be bothering them. I would still love to practice law or work for the government in DC, but I will take my chances somewhere else before even thinking of looking at another Howard law pamphlet.

This is so funny! I was warned about this too from the board. I put in a request a month before I came. I tried to call because I still hadn't heard anything but some kid answered the phone and gave me the run around. I knew that when I got there I was probably going to do a self-guided tour because people on this board told me that would happen---well I got there- and I'm   freezing cold (end of January). It took me at least 30 minutes to get a straight answer out of someone and I got a lot of attitude, which I am used to for some reason because I am biracial- I still don't get that- but yes, they claimed they didn't know I was coming and I got a nice pamphlet. I was so cold I jus took the metro over to American.

« Reply #1711 on: February 19, 2007, 06:50:11 PM »
Lol, that's bad, but they're pretty hospitable if you go to their open house or info session.

Tony Montana

• Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: February 26, 2007, 01:55:17 PM »
HUSL Students Volunteer In Record Numbers To Travel To New Orleans!!

Over 75 Howard Law students have volunteered to go to New Orleans during their spring break to put their legal skills to work to help resolve some of the lingering legal problems in post-Katrina New Orleans.

This is the largest number of law students volunteering from any law school in the country. The Howard contingent will be made up of first, second, and third year law students including a number of third year clinical students. The third year clinical students will help to train the other students to interview, organize files and write memorandums.

Roughly one third of the students will be doing work in the criminal justice system. The criminal justice system was badly affected by the storm. Students will assist the public defenders as they represent arrestees at bail and other court proceedings. Students will work with Tulane Law Professor Pamela Metzger on Project Gideon, where students try to find and identify prisoners who were lost in the prison system during Katrina over one year ago.

Another third of the students will work in the area of housing and consumer rights. They will address such diverse issues as what happens to those who lose public housing and how to perfect title on homes so that the government can make appropriate payments to the home owner.

Some students have identified their own legal placements and will work with the New Orleans Innocence Project. Finally, a group of students prefer non-legal work and have signed up with Habitat for Humanity to help rebuild homes destroyed by Katrina.

This trip must be understood in the context of a national groundswell of student activism spurred on by the storm. Earlier this year, HUSL students joined the Student Hurricane Network, a network of law students that have become a national movement for the legal and human rights of Gulf Coast residents. SHN has emerged as a national association dedicated to providing long-term assistance to communities affected by Hurricane Katrina. SHN works with law students and administrators from all over the United States to create and coordinate volunteer opportunities for law students in the Gulf Coast. http://www.studenthurricanenetwork.org/main.htm .

The organizers wish to thank faculty members that are attending this trip, they include Professors Josephine Ross, Tamar Meekins and Brian Gilmore, and Dean Dione Duckett.

We also extend many thanks to the Howard University Dean of the Chapel for the donated a bus and a driver that will take over 50 students to New Orleans. —>

This trip would not be possible without the heroic efforts of many students, including Alexis Logan, Louis Brown, Jeremy D. Broussard, and Craig Ricard. As Louis Brown (Class of’07) says:

“HUSL students have a social justice value demanding that we advocate for the equal rights and quality of life of Gulf Coast residents. HUSL’s tradition of social justice can be re-born only if we continuously refuse to stand idly by while injustice is visited daily upon Gulf Coast residents. Thus HUSL students feel a moral obligation to assist in hurricane recovery efforts in New Orleans. While students will only spend one week in a recovery effort that demands 365 days of attention per year, we are reminded of the words of Robert Kennedy: ‘each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance.’”

[fn Robert Kennedy, Day of Affirmation Speech, June 6, 1966, Robert F. Kennedy Memorial,] www.rfkmemorial.org/lifevision/dayofaffirmation/]

Paper Chaser

• http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: February 26, 2007, 02:36:50 PM »
Thats all well and fine that 50 students can travel over 20 hours to go find somebody and throw their ass back in jail. It's just too bad you can't find one of them to walk a potential student around campus for 15 minutes.

Tony Montana

• Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: February 26, 2007, 04:19:46 PM »
Thats all well and fine that 50 students can travel over 20 hours to go find somebody and throw their ass back in jail. It's just too bad you can't find one of them to walk a potential student around campus for 15 minutes.

Lol! Still crying I see... If you can get over it, try going to the open house in March.

« Reply #1715 on: March 11, 2007, 10:47:36 PM »
I wasn't going to say anything, but you guys got the ball rolling on Howard so...

My wife and I decided after we came back from our honeymoon that we would drive up along the east coast visiting law schools while we went to pick up our daughter in Delaware from my mother-in-law's house. Now I expected North Carolina Central to be a-holes because I went there for two years and know how they get down as far as the slow drones in administration who usually have attitudes because they have to do their jobs, however I must say I was throughly impressed. They have a new dean, a remodeled building, and when I called the school instead of getting the nasty sister down the block tone that insinuated the n@$$! what you want!? attitude, there was actually a note of professionalism and courtesy in the persons voice. I am not trying to sell a dream to anyone, but if you are applying next year to law school, I would strongly encourage attendance at this school. I have gotten into a couple of T1's, but the idea of paying 30,000 versus 3,000 a year man, I will seriously be banking some dough when i come out.

Did you get a chance to speak with 1L's at NCCU, or any other students there - anyone?

I'm waiting to hear from NCCU, but I feel the need to start making decisions of whether I'd even consider schools come April, and I've gotten mixed reviews. My 3L friend really wants me to attend, says the atmosphere is really familial and the strong alum base will help you get a job (locally of course). However, my 1L friend just informed me that the bottom 30% of the class is kicked out after final grades come out in the spring and have to wait 2 yrs before applying to another law school :-\ She also said most of her friends don't have paying jobs for the summer (something I took with a grain of salt because I didn't expect to get a decent job for my 1L summer, per LSC) and she's dicouraged.

I love the state and the Triangle area, but I'd like more opinions as I'm trying to decide what to do ???

Paper Chaser

• View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: March 12, 2007, 02:53:43 AM »
I went to NCCU undergrad for two years before going to UNC. I would strongly suggest that you attend NCCU after I saw your other choices. Widener is just as bad as NCCU when it comes to attrition rate if not worse, and I had a friend go to Cooley...trust me, when i say this...you need to x that right now unless that is your only choice. I have a friend who went there made c and d's, failed out, then the next semester sends him a letter saying oops they made a mistake his grades were actually a's and b's. He is from Durham and didnt get into NCCU, thats why he went to Cooley. I am from Charlotte, NC and love the triangle area as well. Last summer all the NC law schools held a fair at one of Charlotte's local black churches...I already know a couple of people in school there but I met a young lady I grew up with who will be 3L this year. She said most people who fail out are the ones who want to party all the time, and it is a pretty good school. I dont know exactly what you want to do with your degree, but I dont think you can do much better, other than UNC for the overall cost of the education and what not. NCCU is a good law school, and you have the choice to attend Duke and Carolina classes when you attend one of these three schools. Thw best advice I think I can give you regarding your selection is to realize that the lower tier a law school, the more likely it is to be more competitive among students and have a higher attrition rate. So just make sure to stay in those books.

« Reply #1717 on: March 12, 2007, 06:00:53 AM »
I went to NCCU undergrad for two years before going to UNC. I would strongly suggest that you attend NCCU after I saw your other choices. Widener is just as bad as NCCU when it comes to attrition rate if not worse, and I had a friend go to Cooley...trust me, when i say this...you need to x that right now unless that is your only choice. I have a friend who went there made c and d's, failed out, then the next semester sends him a letter saying oops they made a mistake his grades were actually a's and b's. He is from Durham and didnt get into NCCU, thats why he went to Cooley. I am from Charlotte, NC and love the triangle area as well. Last summer all the NC law schools held a fair at one of Charlotte's local black churches...I already know a couple of people in school there but I met a young lady I grew up with who will be 3L this year. She said most people who fail out are the ones who want to party all the time, and it is a pretty good school. I dont know exactly what you want to do with your degree, but I dont think you can do much better, other than UNC for the overall cost of the education and what not. NCCU is a good law school, and you have the choice to attend Duke and Carolina classes when you attend one of these three schools. Thw best advice I think I can give you regarding your selection is to realize that the lower tier a law school, the more likely it is to be more competitive among students and have a higher attrition rate. So just make sure to stay in those books.

Thanks for the info. I graduated from UNC, but originally from OH, so depending of course on my pending schools, I'm trying to go back to OH, NC, or DC.

Cooley was an extreme back up (withdrawing this week), and my friend just graduated from Widener and truly enjoyed her experience as well, so I guess the same can be said for it as NCCU.

I just wanted to know if anyone has heard more positivs or negatives about NCCU because I got 2 vastly differing opinions from friends (1L unhappy, and 3L pushing me to go there if I get accepted), and I'm not able to come back to the States to visit before actually making my decision.

Paper Chaser

• View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: March 12, 2007, 10:24:26 AM »
You know they say never trust a 1L's opinion about a law school...especially when exam time starts to get closer.

« Reply #1719 on: March 15, 2007, 10:25:54 PM »
Here's the deal...I was accepted to the University of Miami and Waitlisted at Howard University School of law. Which is the better choice. I know I'm jumping the gun b/c who's to say i'll even get off the waitlist at Howard. But I was just wondering if it was even worth the effort to get off the waitlist or is Miami a better law school. Better as in better job after graduation, better reputation, better chances of survival and success. I did not get any $$$ from the University of Miami and I'm sure if I get off the waitlist at Howard there won't be any $$$ left so that is not really an issue. Any advice would be helpful. I would like to practice in California eventually b/c that is where I am from. Thanks!