Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 314573 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: BLSD'ers: GW vs. Howard
« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2005, 12:24:39 AM »
I chose GWU over Howard for a couple of reasons.. I had a full scholarship offer to the Master's side of the dual degree program that I entered... Howard does not have an International Affairs Master's program

I do not regret not going to Howard because I enjoyed my law school experience at GW. I took some classes @ Howard through the consortium that were not offered @ GWU.

I haven't heard about the letter but quite frankly I'm not surprised..

Thanks. Wow!!! Sorry I just made a beginner's mistake in assuming.  :(
Did you decide to go to GW over Howard? Do you regret not going to Howard? Or did you have a chance to take some courses at Howard? Also have you heard or read about a letter that is making the rounds on the internet--apparently a 3L at Georgetown is going off on a diatribe against the school.

We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2005, 08:54:17 AM »
So I'm guess that GW doesn't have a scholarship/grant matching program.  :-\ I guess with June 15th around the corner it looks like your decision might be set. It is nice to go to school knowing that you don't have any immediate money concerns. Especially with the proposed changes the Republicans are thinking about making to the federal loan program. Have a great year at Howard.

Nope  :-\ Plus, they had the nerve to lose all of my tax papers.  I guess as the second deposit deadline nears (June 15th), I'm starting to have my doubts.

I really want to go to GW, but not for $150,000  :-[

Thank you all for your input! It's so funny how 90% of the people (lawyers, students, everyone else) have said the same thing: Go to Howard!

I'm almost sure of my decision now...
The George Washington University Law School c/o 2008

elegantpearl01

« Reply #172 on: June 09, 2005, 10:38:32 AM »
So I'm guess that GW doesn't have a scholarship/grant matching program.  :-\ I guess with June 15th around the corner it looks like your decision might be set. It is nice to go to school knowing that you don't have any immediate money concerns. Especially with the proposed changes the Republicans are thinking about making to the federal loan program. Have a great year at Howard.

Nope  :-\ Plus, they had the nerve to lose all of my tax papers.  I guess as the second deposit deadline nears (June 15th), I'm starting to have my doubts.

Thank you all for your input! It's so funny how 90% of the people (lawyers, students, everyone else) have said the same thing: Go to Howard!

One of my closest friends went to Howard Law and loved it, she's  a Public Defender (which is what she always wanted to do) and believes her time at Howard helped prepare her well. She was active in co-curriculars and enjoys the fact she doesnt have massive law school loans....

Have you visited both schools?? That may help in your decision making process.

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 09, 2005, 11:37:07 AM »

One of my closest friends went to Howard Law and loved it, she's  a Public Defender (which is what she always wanted to do) and believes her time at Howard helped prepare her well. She was active in co-curriculars and enjoys the fact she doesnt have massive law school loans....

Have you visited both schools?? That may help in your decision making process.

I attended the Admitted Students Weekend for GW and was thoroughly impressed with the facilities.  I attended Howard for undergrad, and although I've never visited the law campus, I know what to expect, nothing as nice as GW but sufficient. I also heard that the new law library is really nice.

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #174 on: June 09, 2005, 01:57:35 PM »
Forget GW, Georgetown and Howard, go to Columbia. It's the best school.   ;D
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 09, 2005, 02:32:58 PM »
You are right,  I have heard they have the hottest chicks there. ;)
Back in the saddle again.

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #176 on: June 09, 2005, 02:46:11 PM »
Hehe...
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

elegantpearl01

« Reply #177 on: June 09, 2005, 08:11:29 PM »
I'd venture Howard has the better Homecoming Celebration....

Gypsy Green

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: June 10, 2005, 09:22:51 AM »
Bluenine,

I'm still faced with a similar situation - Howard w/ $ vs Georgetown without.  Now things are getting a little more complicated since my employer is considering sponsoring me in law school, if I commit to working in house.  The details have not been communicated to me.  At this point it's only a possibility.  Needless to say though, it was enough to get me to pay Georgetown's hefty $500 2nd seat.  Frankly, I'm not sure I want the committment of working in house for my current employer following graduation.  One of the reasons I applied to law school was to change gears.  I know working in IP or Patent would be different than being an engineer, but the "feel" would be the same.

Does anyone know of any pros/cons to going directly in house following graduation?

Decisions, decisions - Good luck Bluenine with yours.  It's one of those situations where the good news is that you can't go wrong either way... but therein lies the dilemma.

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 10, 2005, 09:35:40 AM »
Bluenine,

I'm still faced with a similar situation - Howard w/ $ vs Georgetown without.  Now things are getting a little more complicated since my employer is considering sponsoring me in law school, if I commit to working in house.  The details have not been communicated to me.  At this point it's only a possibility.  Needless to say though, it was enough to get me to pay Georgetown's hefty $500 2nd seat.  Frankly, I'm not sure I want the committment of working in house for my current employer following graduation.  One of the reasons I applied to law school was to change gears.  I know working in IP or Patent would be different than being an engineer, but the "feel" would be the same.

Does anyone know of any pros/cons to going directly in house following graduation?

Decisions, decisions - Good luck Bluenine with yours.  It's one of those situations where the good news is that you can't go wrong either way... but therein lies the dilemma.

You can say that again.  However, if given the opportunity to attend Georgetown, I might actually take it.  GW is a great school, but Georgetown is a better school.

As far as you trying to switch gears in your career, committing to work in-house for your current employer may be a bad idea.  I don't know what stage you are in in your professional life, but mine has literally just begun.  I couldn't imagine not having options.

I'm definitely going to attend Howard.  I just think it is the best choice for me financially, academically, and socially.  Did you get an opportunity to visit both schools?