Law School Discussion

The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread

Re: FAMU-UPDATE TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE
« Reply #1690 on: January 16, 2007, 12:01:33 AM »
attorney Shirley Cunningham Jr. donated $1 million to the FAMU law school in return for a $100,000-a-year job that didn't require him to teach on-site.

that's certainly an interesting deal.

EDIT: by the way, I'm merging this thread with the HBCU thread.

yeah, sure is. but I'd do it if I had it. You teach for 20yrs and never have to be there? That's the hotness!

Blue22

• Who said life was fair?
    • View Profile
Re: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread
« Reply #1691 on: January 21, 2007, 01:16:48 AM »
Just a question....I haven't read all the original posts...but I'm wondering if Howard is really a good option for people. Frankly, I keep hearing horror stories- and my interactions with them have been borrible too. Is this the norm? Are they simply a school resting on the past to hide the fact that they are no longer a school that can provide a solid education/experience? Not trying to be harsh, just wondering...

(fyi, I did apply, but since UMich. and Georgetown have already accepted me, I can't really say I'm all that worried about HU anymore)

shaz

• University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: January 21, 2007, 01:20:28 PM »
HUSL is a good option. Is it your BEST option? that's up to the individual and what they want out their law school experience. For many HUSL is more than just a Law School. It's a link to tradition. It's their last real chance to be surrounded by 'family'. It's the sheep skin they most want on their office wall.

Is HUSL your best option? you have to answere that one for yourself. I suspect that you have already made your decision. I see that you applied to Temple. That's a litigator's school. Howard has a tradition of producing some of the best black litigators in the country. Their trial teams are second to none.

Would I take HUSL over Temple? I'm from Philly! (and i have my own issues with howard.)

Blue22

• Who said life was fair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: January 21, 2007, 02:11:23 PM »
Thanks Shaz! Actually, you're right...though honestly, the shabby treatment I've heard they give is what has ultimately made up my mind. You gave me some great points though, thanks!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: January 21, 2007, 03:47:43 PM »
HUSL is a good option. Is it your BEST option? that's up to the individual and what they want out their law school experience. For many HUSL is more than just a Law School. It's a link to tradition. It's their last real chance to be surrounded by 'family'. It's the sheep skin they most want on their office wall.

Although I'm glad that I ended up going to Rutgers, I do have to admit that it would have been real kool to have been able to walk around in the "Howard Law" sweater every now and again.  I'm not gonna lie, I was actually looking forward to being a part of that tradition.

I have to agree with Blue22 though, the treatment that I got from them was ugly.  Black folk don't always make the best public relations people I guess.  (yeah I said it!)

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: January 21, 2007, 04:35:11 PM »

Although I'm glad that I ended up going to Rutgers, I do have to admit that it would have been real kool to have been able to walk around in the "Howard Law" sweater every now and again.  I'm not gonna lie, I was actually looking forward to being a part of that tradition.

I have to agree with Blue22 though, the treatment that I got from them was ugly.  Black folk don't always make the best public relations people I guess.  (yeah I said it!)

so they way they treat the UG does bleed over into the law school...i had to deal with that administration over there once and it was the worse...i wanted to be like is there a white person i can talk to... :-\...im just jokin' but ya'll know what i mean  ;)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: January 21, 2007, 05:06:43 PM »

so they way they treat the UG does bleed over into the law school...i had to deal with that administration over there once and it was the worse...i wanted to be like is there a white person i can talk to... :-\...im just jokin' but ya'll know what i mean  ;)

Man don't even get me started.... >:(

« Reply #1697 on: January 25, 2007, 03:45:09 PM »
Just got the WL email from Howard. I'm actually happy - as my numbers could have been the auto ding.

Question, though: They say don't call about movement on the waitlist, but does that also mean not to send a letter of continued interest?

2nd Question: I have an additional LOR coming from my best professor - took her undergrad legal research and writing class and got that A  - very soon; would that push me forward or not matter?

John Galt

« Reply #1698 on: January 25, 2007, 04:12:02 PM »
Just got the WL email from Howard. I'm actually happy - as my numbers could have been the auto ding.

Question, though: They say don't call about movement on the waitlist, but does that also mean not to send a letter of continued interest?

2nd Question: I have an additional LOR coming from my best professor - took her undergrad legal research and writing class and got that A  - very soon; would that push me forward or not matter?

Send a letter and an addition LOR. Let them know you really want to be there. I used to talk to the dean of admissions a lot and he would tell me that the most important criteria for admission was a desire to attend and to be a part of what howard is trying to do. Good luck.

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: January 25, 2007, 04:19:28 PM »

if your really want to attend Howard than go ahead and send additional info...if not (i see from your sig that you've gotten into some other schools) don't sweat it...