Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 302076 times)

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BLSD'ers: GW vs. Howard
« Reply #160 on: June 08, 2005, 07:42:31 PM »
No I didn't mean to imply that after the top 15 that the opportuntities decrease. Most people cut things off at the top 15 so it's not my own cutoff. I thought GW was higher than the top 25 but I didn't know its exact rank so I stated top 25 instead of top 20. You're right going to a top 20 school like GW will make a difference but not the same differences as a top 15 school. And there are some top 25 schools like Washingtion U and Fordham that place well. So calling GW a top 25 school is hardly an insult. But many people have to do a cost analysis when they are looking at schools outside the top 15. For example, if you have a full ride from your state's school vs no financial aid from somewhere like Washingon & Lee and don't know where you want to work but you might want to practice in your state. Top 15 schools like Boalt, Columbia, UVA and Duke place across the country. It depends on the goals the OP has in regards to law school. Either way going to school in DC will give her a lot of opportunities.

Uhh, GW is a top 20 school.  And I dont know about your logic about cutting things off at the top 15 and that somehow making a difference.  Going to a top 20 school like GW will make a difference, clearly not the same difference as a top 15 school, but it will make a difference in the opportunities you can get.  I understand and agree that top 15 schools give you great opportunities, but you are acting like after the top 15 all other schools are the same.  That is just not true.

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 08, 2005, 07:48:05 PM »
Yes I just finished my first year and aced it. I'm in the process of transferring right now. Of course, people who don't do well at Georgetown or graduate towards the bottom of the class have limited opportunities. As I stated above, I wasn't slamming GW. But if the OP can't afford GW then going to Howard and transferring to a school ranked higher than GW might help her with the concerns about the debt. It is important for the OP to decide what is best for her and do well at either school to have a chance at great opportunities.

I know people that graduated from Georgetown law that are unemployed so what's your point exactly? Have you entered law school or obtained your JD yet?

GWU will offer a lot of the same opportunities that going to a T14 will offer

Howard will offer opportunities to minorities that other law schools will not.. I've pointed out some of those examples in other threads...

if a person wants to pursue a dual degree with an emphasis on policy for example- Georgetown wouldn't be the place for them to go.. GWU would...

Make the decision that is best for you and do well.. you will have a job when you're done if you utilize the programs that are offered to you and plan an excellent package in terms of course work that will make you stand out more than others..

Both universities are in DC.. both have excellent reputations and trust that minorities are going to be recruited from Howard at some firms before they even visit  AU, GWU, Georgetown or CAU

Fabyahluss

« Reply #162 on: June 08, 2005, 10:00:54 PM »
Go to Howard. And don't go there with the intent to transfer. Go there because you'll have a lot of freedom to go into the type of law you desire upon graduation because you'll be debt free. Also go there because Howard is a phenomenal institution and will offer you many possibilities after you graduate. Don't believe the hype that many on this board will lead you to believe regarding the lie that if you don't graduate from a top __ school then you're doomed. It's bull.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 08, 2005, 10:08:23 PM »
Don't believe the hype that many on this board will lead you to believe regarding the lie that if you don't graduate from a top __ school then you're doomed. It's bull.

This is an a little extreme.  Many on this board will say go to where you want to go and what works best for you.  Not go to the highest ranked school.  Look at the posts here on this thread and you will see that FAR more people say make the decision that is in your best interest and/or go to Howard. 
Back in the saddle again.

Fabyahluss

« Reply #164 on: June 08, 2005, 10:20:07 PM »
Ah, you misunderstood my post, but then perhaps I was unclear. When I said "this board" I was referring to LSD in general, and not specifically to BLSD. So my post was not extreme at all when you consider the viewpoints of LSDers outside of the BLSD. If you ever happen to venture out of BLSD, you'll notice that a significant portion of LSDers will suggest that an individual go to the highest ranked school they get into, particularly when the tier gap is as wide as a T1 and a T3.

But you're right about BLSD. The people on here are extremely supportive and often on point with their suggestions regarding law schools, but are far from being representative of LSDers as a whole (unfortunately).  :-\

Don't believe the hype that many on this board will lead you to believe regarding the lie that if you don't graduate from a top __ school then you're doomed. It's bull.

This is an a little extreme.  Many on this board will say go to where you want to go and what works best for you.  Not go to the highest ranked school.  Look at the posts here on this thread and you will see that FAR more people say make the decision that is in your best interest and/or go to Howard. 

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 08, 2005, 11:19:18 PM »
sage words..if there's no way to make the money problem happen (without 150k debt at GWU) definitely go to Howard...don't miss out on your blessing :)

Go to Howard. And don't go there with the intent to transfer. Go there because you'll have a lot of freedom to go into the type of law you desire upon graduation because you'll be debt free. Also go there because Howard is a phenomenal institution and will offer you many possibilities after you graduate. Don't believe the hype that many on this board will lead you to believe regarding the lie that if you don't graduate from a top __ school then you're doomed. It's bull.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 08, 2005, 11:24:56 PM »
congrats on acing your 1L yr... :)

keep in mind that in my example I didn't say anything about the people that I knew not doing well or graduating at the bottom of their class at Georgetown....

In fact, two of them graduated at the top 10% and have both passed the MD bar- but CAN'T find employment in Big Law..

Yes I just finished my first year and aced it. I'm in the process of transferring right now. Of course, people who don't do well at Georgetown or graduate towards the bottom of the class have limited opportunities. As I stated above, I wasn't slamming GW.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2005, 12:14:36 AM »
Thanks. Wow!!! Sorry I just made a beginner's mistake in assuming.  :(
Did you decide to go to GW over Howard? Do you regret not going to Howard? Or did you have a chance to take some courses at Howard? Also have you heard or read about a letter that is making the rounds on the internet--apparently a 3L at Georgetown is going off on a diatribe against the school.

congrats on acing your 1L yr... :)

keep in mind that in my example I didn't say anything about the people that I knew not doing well or graduating at the bottom of their class at Georgetown....

In fact, two of them graduated at the top 10% and have both passed the MD bar- but CAN'T find employment in Big Law..

elegantpearl01

« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2005, 12:17:20 AM »
Howard and no debt is what I would take. 150K in debt, that's a HUGE loan payment. 

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2005, 12:22:19 AM »
So I'm guess that GW doesn't have a scholarship/grant matching program.  :-\ I guess with June 15th around the corner it looks like your decision might be set. It is nice to go to school knowing that you don't have any immediate money concerns. Especially with the proposed changes the Republicans are thinking about making to the federal loan program. Have a great year at Howard.

Nope  :-\ Plus, they had the nerve to lose all of my tax papers.  I guess as the second deposit deadline nears (June 15th), I'm starting to have my doubts.

I really want to go to GW, but not for $150,000  :-[