Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Howard Law/HBCU Law Schools Thread  (Read 314530 times)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: BLSD'ers: GW vs. Howard
« Reply #150 on: June 08, 2005, 02:54:46 PM »
they still didn't give you any finaid :'(?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2005, 03:00:18 PM »
they still didn't give you any finaid :'(?

Nope  :-\ Plus, they had the nerve to lose all of my tax papers.  I guess as the second deposit deadline nears (June 15th), I'm starting to have my doubts.

I really want to go to GW, but not for $150,000  :-[
The George Washington University Law School c/o 2008

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 08, 2005, 03:09:49 PM »
well you know how i feel.. the $150k debt is no joke.. if HU is offering you a lot of $$$ i really think that you should strongly consider it.. even though you went there for undergrad

have you tried talking to the office of multicultural affairs  at GW to see if they can help you in any way?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2005, 03:32:44 PM »
well you know how i feel.. the $150k debt is no joke.. if HU is offering you a lot of $$$ i really think that you should strongly consider it.. even though you went there for undergrad

have you tried talking to the office of multicultural affairs  at GW to see if they can help you in any way?

No, actually I haven't.  I try to give them a call.  Thanks.
The George Washington University Law School c/o 2008

Muse

• Sr. Citizen
  • I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2005, 03:59:51 PM »
Pick howard. 150K in debt is no joke. Believe it or not most law students are not going to come out of law school making six figures so....yeah give howard a shot.
Honesty has a beautiful and refreshing simplicity about it. No ulterior motives. No hidden meanings. An absence of hypocrisy, duplicity, political games, and verbal superficiality. As honesty and real integrity characterize our lives, there will be no need to manipulate others.--Chuck Swindoll

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2005, 05:12:50 PM »
I am assuming that Howard is giving you a scholarship.  I would say all things being equal, go to Howard.  GW is an excellent school and does open up some opportunities, but for the most part, anything you will want to do graduating from GW  you can do graduating from Howard.  The one possible exception I can think of is teaching.  But most people dont go into law school thinking about teaching.  So, with that said, I agree with Muse.
Back in the saddle again.

jdohno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2005, 06:33:21 PM »
Go to Howard, do well and transfer out to a school ranked higher than GW. Howard is 3rd tier and even though GW is a top 25 school, it doesn't give you the same opportunities as a top 15 school. If this thread was Howard vs Georgetown then I would tell you to go to Georgetown. The debt is important but law is competitive and it helps to go to a top 15 school.

If you don't do well your first year then you still have your scholarship at Howard. If you aced your first year then you could probably transfer to Georgetown, UVA and maybe even Columbia. The high rank and access to opportunities from those schools outweigh the debt. I always remind people that you have 30 years to pay off your student loans. I know three people who went to Columbia and Georgetown, did well and got great paying jobs. They paid off their student loans in less than 5 years. Education is good debt because you are trying to get a better position. What's the point of going to a school that has a low debt if you end up with a job that starts in the 30s and 40s? Unless you want to do public interest or govt work. If you want to do govt or public interest then go to Howard. If you want to work in the corporate world then you should transfer up.

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 08, 2005, 06:38:33 PM »
Go to Howard, do well and transfer out to a school ranked higher than GW. Howard is 3rd tier and even though GW is a top 25 school, it doesn't give you the same opportunities as a top 15 school. If this thread was Howard vs Georgetown then I would tell you to go to Georgetown. The debt is important but law is competitive and it helps to go to a top 15 school.

If you don't do well your first year then you still have your scholarship at Howard. If you aced your first year then you could probably transfer to Georgetown, UVA and maybe even Columbia. The high rank and access to opportunities from those schools outweigh the debt. I always remind people that you have 30 years to pay off your student loans. I know three people who went to Columbia and Georgetown, did well and got great paying jobs. They paid off their student loans in less than 5 years. Education is good debt because you are trying to get a better position. What's the point of going to a school that has a low debt if you end up with a job that starts in the 30s and 40s? Unless you want to do public interest or govt work. If you want to do govt or public interest then go to Howard. If you want to work in the corporate world then you should transfer up.

Uhh, GW is a top 20 school.  And I dont know about your logic about cutting things off at the top 15 and that somehow making a difference.  Going to a top 20 school like GW will make a difference, clearly not the same difference as a top 15 school, but it will make a difference in the opportunities you can get.  I understand and agree that top 15 schools give you great opportunities, but you are acting like after the top 15 all other schools are the same.  That is just not true.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 08, 2005, 06:55:40 PM »
I know people that graduated from Georgetown law that are unemployed so what's your point exactly? Have you entered law school or obtained your JD yet?

GWU will offer a lot of the same opportunities that going to a T14 will offer

Howard will offer opportunities to minorities that other law schools will not.. I've pointed out some of those examples in other threads...

if a person wants to pursue a dual degree with an emphasis on policy for example- Georgetown wouldn't be the place for them to go.. GWU would...

Make the decision that is best for you and do well.. you will have a job when you're done if you utilize the programs that are offered to you and plan an excellent package in terms of course work that will make you stand out more than others..

Both universities are in DC.. both have excellent reputations and trust that minorities are going to be recruited from Howard at some firms before they even visit  AU, GWU, Georgetown or CAU

Lawprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
  • Pony Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 08, 2005, 07:06:02 PM »
co-sign.

Hey, you are my first co-sign.  That felt pretty good. ;D