Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School as a Job?  (Read 2483 times)

voce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law School as a Job?
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 05:27:07 PM »
...But the thing about the 8-5 deal is how deep can you get into your studying if you need to get up and go to class every hour? It would be 4 one hour intervals of studying rather than cramming for 4 straight hours.
Again, I think this is a matter of personal preference. I have a really hard time concentrating for more than an hour, so I need breaks. Then, when I come back to it, I feel more refreshed.
Attending: Harvard!
Accepted and withdrawn:Georgetown, Penn, Cornell, NYU, Boalt Hall, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Boston College, Fordham, Columbia
Rejected: Stanford, Yale

seankenn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 05:36:34 PM »
My plan is just quality time management.  I'll write down when I am going to study for what class and do it.  Then the extra time at home can be used to go over any information that needs more refining.  Writing things down tend to motivate me.  Because I can see in writing that I am either falling behind or on the ball.  Works for me.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 08:30:46 PM »
I suspect (and, of course, I'm guessing) that we're totally naive about this -- I think we'll find that the first yr of law school is more work than we ever could have conceived...  Or so say the friends I have who're 2Ls and 3Ls.

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2005, 09:33:24 PM »
I suspect (and, of course, I'm guessing) that we're totally naive about this -- I think we'll find that the first yr of law school is more work than we ever could have conceived...  Or so say the friends I have who're 2Ls and 3Ls.
I think you're right. I read somewhere that if you actually did all of the assignments and read all of the required reading, prepared every outline, and fully prepared for every exam, you'd easily spend every waking moment on law school. Learning when to stop is the key. For some, that may be 40 hours. For others 60. For others--gulp--80.  I'm willing to bet it is going to be a lot closer to 80 than 40 for most of us.

the REAL desi

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2005, 09:34:08 PM »
treat is like a 60 hour a week job and you'll be fine.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2005, 10:05:24 PM »
Personally, I'm planning on getting my reading and work done no matter how long it takes me.  The only thing I am not willing to bend on is my sleep - I have to get at least seven hours a night or I my attention span goes out the window. 
Attending: Texas

wanderingalaskan

• Sr. Citizen
  • Probably won't have moose in the yard at UT!
    • View Profile
    • WanderingAlaskan's LS info
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2005, 10:18:30 PM »

The one thing that I am planning for, though, is to allow myself at least one night a week to go out and have a good time (not neccesarily getting drunk, but to go out, eat a good meal, unwind and completely forget about law school) and I will allow myself at least one morning a week to sleep in late.

I concur.  Although I have no doubt that the first year will be overwhelming, it is crucial to maintain a sense of balance and perspective.  There is a point of diminishing returns when one tries to spend 80 hours per week on dense material.

It is my hope to treat LS much like a job, but not necessarily adhering to a 8-5 M-F schedule.  I plan to get some form of exercise every day, and would like to have it occur somewhere in the middle of the day.  In addition, I do not want to sacrifice my marriage for a JD.

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2005, 12:00:42 AM »
I'm going to spend an hour after lunch studying.  That's all. 

rick8481

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm In!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2005, 02:22:54 PM »
I am going to have a jack installed in the back of my head like on the matrix and upload everything off of WestLaw.  There is no spoon...
3.1  157
Accepted: Mercer, Stetson, Florida Coastal w/ $$$
A**holes: Georgia State 
Wait Listed: UGA,
Hold:  FSU

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=rick8481

AllisonAzee

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AllisonAzee
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 08:41:11 PM »
Does anyone know how many hours a day/week you can expect to be in class?  More than than a college schedule or about the same?  I'm also asking this because I'm trying to factor in commuting and whether I can expect to be going in during rush hour everyday.
Time to commit: American
They like me: American, Loyola, Santa Clara, U of OR, U of Hawaii
They love me ($):Pepperdine, U of SF, Northeastern, Seattle, Lewis and Clark
Aren't ready to commit: U of Wisconsin, U of Maryland
B@stards won't return my calls: U of San Diego
F#ckers: Hastings