Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Northwestern or UVA  (Read 757 times)

ljm7

• View Profile
Northwestern or UVA
« on: March 10, 2005, 02:18:10 AM »
Hey Everyone, I was hoping to find out if anyone might have any opinions on my current options for next year. Right now I'm trying to decide between Northwestern and UVA, but I really don't know that much about the schools in terms of job placement or anything.

For a little background I'm in state at UVA so that lands me a break of $4k/year, and I have friends that will be within 1-2 hours of UVA. However I currently live right near DC and am not sure if I really want to give up living in a large area to move to Charlottesvile (note that I haven't visited charlotesville yet).  I've visited Northwestern and really like the city, but other than a weekend I haven't had that much interaction with it.

I'm interested in pursuing IP law (at least I think I am) - does anyone know how the placement between the two schools compare?  Right now I think I'd like to live in DC or NY coming out of school, but that also may be because I've always lived on the east coast and am not that familiar with Chicago.  Any insight anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Northwestern or UVA
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 05:53:58 PM »
Hey Everyone, I was hoping to find out if anyone might have any opinions on my current options for next year. Right now I'm trying to decide between Northwestern and UVA, but I really don't know that much about the schools in terms of job placement or anything.

For a little background I'm in state at UVA so that lands me a break of $4k/year, and I have friends that will be within 1-2 hours of UVA. However I currently live right near DC and am not sure if I really want to give up living in a large area to move to Charlottesvile (note that I haven't visited charlotesville yet).  I've visited Northwestern and really like the city, but other than a weekend I haven't had that much interaction with it.

I'm interested in pursuing IP law (at least I think I am) - does anyone know how the placement between the two schools compare?  Right now I think I'd like to live in DC or NY coming out of school, but that also may be because I've always lived on the east coast and am not that familiar with Chicago.  Any insight anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

About the $4K/yr tuition break, not exactly true.  In-State Budget for 1L at UVA: $41,200.  1L @ Northwestern: $58,972.  That's almost an $18K "break" for just one year.  Even if you add your laptop allowance to UVA's budget ($2,500, which was not included in the 41,200), you still come out $15K ahead.

The comparison is roughly the same for years 2 and 3. 

As for UVA placing more locally than UVA, look at the numbers.  While everyone seems to have quibbles with Leiter, I would point you to his 2003 "Most National Law School Based on Job Placement in Elite Law Firms" rankings.  Virginia = #4 (behind Harvard, Yale & Chicago).  NU = #13.  http://www.utexas.edu/law/faculty/bleiter/rankings/03_most_national.html Another guy attempted to update the same study for 2004, and came out with UVA in the #3 spot (this time ahead of Yale). http://www.calvin.edu/admin/csr/students/sullivan/law/results.htm  Northwestern came out 18th in that one.

Leiter aside, top job locations for UVA grads are 1) DC and 2) NYC. http://www.law.virginia.edu/home2002/html/about/factsstats.htm  Roughly half of NU's graduating class stays in the Midwest. http://www.law.northwestern.edu/career/statistics/

I don't know much about IP law, but I don't think either school is particularly known for its IP program.

If you feel that you will shrivel up and die if you're not in a big city, then Charlottesville may not be the place for you.  However, I lived there for 4 years (before moving to DC), and there's not much I couldn't find there.  Besides, I sorta like the idea of having a place to park my car, being able to find a decent apartment for under 1K/mo, and still having DC close enough if I really need a reminder of how much I hate traffic.

That's just my 2 cents.  I'm sure there are equally strong arguments for picking NU over UVA, so I'd like to hear them.  Both options are still on the table for me, too.

michaelduke

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 05:59:57 PM »
I do not think you can choose the wrong school.  Both are excellent (many of us are dying to get one acceptance from those schools).  Flip a coin if you have to. 

Thanks.

uponcripplecreek

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 12:23:55 AM »
UVA.

You're looking at 45k less in debt and certainly at least equal, if not better, job placement. 

The only reason to choose NU is if you REALLY would prefer to live in a large city. 

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 12:50:07 AM »
UVA seems to have a very slight reputational edge over NU, but I don't think you're closing any career doors by choosing one over the other. It really comes down to the city, and which curriculum you feel would benefit you the most. Good Luck  :)

mattb23

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 12:55:32 AM »
I apologize that this is slightly off the topic, since I didn't apply to NU--but my decision is really gonna come down to UVA v. Penn v. Duke (and perhaps Columbia depending on the decision there). I went to Penn as an undergrad, a few of my best friends in the world are still in Philly, and my little bro, who I'm really tight with, is a Penn sophomore. A few months ago the notion of being admitted to Penn and not accepting would've been inconceivable to me. But it's a very real possibility now, and maybe even the likelihood--UVA has impressed me that much.

I'm not a rankings person in the sense that I don't care tremendously about overall rank, and I'd never make a choice based on a 1-2 point difference in any set of individual rankings. But I do like the fact that whatever ranking method you look at, UVA is universally considered a stable top ten school. Also, for me, the important part of the USNWR rankings are the academic ratings and the judge/lawyer rankings--and UVA always does well there (rates significantly higher then Penn, Duke, Cornell, Northwestern and equals NYU). UVA appears to have some fantastic institutes, first rate clinical programs (although I'm always a little dubious as to whether their clinics can offer the range of experiences that those of an urban school could), great range of classes, and fantastic placement. I've also been generally impressed not only by the general respect accorded to  UVA but also by how highly even folks at the competiing schools regard UVA. I've come across a good amount of NYU, Penn and Duke bashing from various segements (particularly on xoxohth), but everyone just seems to have good will for UVA.

Then you throw in the fact that UVA students consistently rave about the school and the quality of life (and, as alums, become some of the most reliable donors in the country)Sounds like a perfect mix of a first-rate education and enjoyable, not-super-intense atmosphere. I've been incredibly impressed by all my dealings with the staff--extremely polite, courteous, seeming tendency to go out the way to be helpful. I haven't yet formally visited the law school, but my gf and I just spent an informal weekend in C-ville. I came away feeling awfully good about the law facility and surrounding area  I posted some more detailed impressions of the visit in this thread, if it's of any interest:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,27021

Overall, my heart is probably still at Penn, but that's because of my familarity with the area and personal connections to Philly--I've actually come to the personal conclusion that UVA is a superior law school to Penn (albeit not by much). The fact that my gf has been admitted to Virginia's graduate school has probably made it my most likely choice at this point.

All that being said, I don't see how you ever go wrong at NU--I don't know much about it, but everything I've come across has been positive. Def a great choice to have.

Good luck with your decision.

Lost in Translation

• Sr. Citizen
  • Choosing the right law school: priceless!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 09:27:06 AM »
I think that you are right that UVA and UPenn are relatively equal in terms of academics and in terms of the professional opportunities they will provide you with. Maybe, UPenn is unique in that it offers you the opportunity for some of the best interdisciplinary education available: take classes and a certificate at Wharton, which is world renowned. UVA, on the other hand, appears to offer a fantastic atmosphere in which to study law, and the cost of living is definitely cheaper. I think that you should wait for financial aid and scholarship decisions from both schools. Any ideas when the UVA scholarship decisions will be announced?

By the way, I read in the newspaper that UVA sent about February CLUB- the month of partying? Does anyone have more info on FEB CLUB? How did it start? What is it exactly about?

I apologize that this is slightly off the topic, since I didn't apply to NU--but my decision is really gonna come down to UVA v. Penn v. Duke (and perhaps Columbia depending on the decision there). I went to Penn as an undergrad, a few of my best friends in the world are still in Philly, and my little bro, who I'm really tight with, is a Penn sophomore. A few months ago the notion of being admitted to Penn and not accepting would've been inconceivable to me. But it's a very real possibility now, and maybe even the likelihood--UVA has impressed me that much.

I'm not a rankings person in the sense that I don't care tremendously about overall rank, and I'd never make a choice based on a 1-2 point difference in any set of individual rankings. But I do like the fact that whatever ranking method you look at, UVA is universally considered a stable top ten school. Also, for me, the important part of the USNWR rankings are the academic ratings and the judge/lawyer rankings--and UVA always does well there (rates significantly higher then Penn, Duke, Cornell, Northwestern and equals NYU). UVA appears to have some fantastic institutes, first rate clinical programs (although I'm always a little dubious as to whether their clinics can offer the range of experiences that those of an urban school could), great range of classes, and fantastic placement. I've also been generally impressed not only by the general respect accorded to  UVA but also by how highly even folks at the competiing schools regard UVA. I've come across a good amount of NYU, Penn and Duke bashing from various segements (particularly on xoxohth), but everyone just seems to have good will for UVA.

Then you throw in the fact that UVA students consistently rave about the school and the quality of life (and, as alums, become some of the most reliable donors in the country)Sounds like a perfect mix of a first-rate education and enjoyable, not-super-intense atmosphere. I've been incredibly impressed by all my dealings with the staff--extremely polite, courteous, seeming tendency to go out the way to be helpful. I haven't yet formally visited the law school, but my gf and I just spent an informal weekend in C-ville. I came away feeling awfully good about the law facility and surrounding area  I posted some more detailed impressions of the visit in this thread, if it's of any interest:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,27021

Overall, my heart is probably still at Penn, but that's because of my familarity with the area and personal connections to Philly--I've actually come to the personal conclusion that UVA is a superior law school to Penn (albeit not by much). The fact that my gf has been admitted to Virginia's graduate school has probably made it my most likely choice at this point.

All that being said, I don't see how you ever go wrong at NU--I don't know much about it, but everything I've come across has been positive. Def a great choice to have.

Good luck with your decision.