Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: cornell or GULC?  (Read 991 times)

victorv

• View Profile
    • Email
cornell or GULC?
« on: March 10, 2005, 12:32:30 AM »
i got into both.  which is a better choice and why? Thanks.

victorv

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: cornell or GULC?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 02:06:12 AM »
well of course there are pluses to being in DC, but at the same time, I could see myself happy in Ithaca. 

Im just wondering if most people would choose one over the other. 

castlerock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 09:06:53 AM »
I got into both. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up at Cornell. I get the sense that Cornell has a more theorethical approach to the law while GULC has more of a trade school feel.  Also, Cornell might have a slight edge in the prestige department.  Last, Cornell's program just seems a little more airtight and gulc's large size seems crazy

jaxon

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 09:35:36 AM »
i would go to cornell because you should graduate with a lot less debt due to much lower COL.... DC is not such a fun city anyway... its not NYC, not worth spending NYC money for if you do not have to... the two schools are similar in prestige and employment prospects.

dreamer1

• Sr. Citizen
  • CLS '08
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 10:04:56 AM »
I got into both. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna end up at Cornell. I get the sense that Cornell has a more theorethical approach to the law while GULC has more of a trade school feel.  Also, Cornell might have a slight edge in the prestige department.  Last, Cornell's program just seems a little more airtight and gulc's large size seems crazy

What makes you think that Cornell would have an edge on prestige? If anything, although Cornell's class size is very small compared to GULC's, it seems that it is harder to get into GULC than Cornell.

I too have been admitted at both schools and am debating where to go. Add to that University of Michigan. In regards to Michigan, I have geographic concerns because I want to settle in NYC after law school and there seems to be very few Michigan alums in NYC. I see plenty of GULC people, but that might just be because of the sheer number of students.

When I compare the placement of GULc and Cornell students in NYC, I wonder if the larger number of GULC students everywhere can just be attributed to the large number of GULC students graduating every year or if it's because GULC students do have a slight advantage in the employment market....

Thought? Comments? Very much appreciated.
Attending: Columbia Law School

ethelmag

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 10:14:05 AM »

I disagree that GULC has a "trade school" feel. A lot of GULC students end up in public interest, which is not a trade school kind of thing. Also, if you're into a theoretical approach to law, it's hard to beat GULC's first-year curriculum B option.

I don't know much about Cornell, so I can't compare the two schools, but I'm going to be going to Georgetown, and I actually see its size as a plus. Georgetown is huge for a law school, yes, but compared to where most people went to undergrad, it's tiny - about 1200 law students total. That's exactly the same size as the "small liberal arts college" I attended, and I didn't feel at all "lost" in the student body there - in fact, I knew almost everyone by sight if not by name. The other advantage to a large law school is the variety of courses that are available. You can study almost anything at GULC because they have so many professors offering so many different classes, whereas at a smaller school you'd have fewer choices.

Just my two cents.

castlerock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 10:39:57 AM »
A former G-town law prof described the place to me as a "law factory".  My prestige comment suggesting that Cornell has a better rep than GULC was based on perspectives I have gathered from people in academia.  This may not be the case when discussing the same topic with practicing big-law attorneys.  I'm also from the Northeast and I think the prevelant sentiment is that G-town is not in the same class as Cornell, but that might be regional.

I live in DC now and work in the legal community here, and maybe it's the location, but it seems like GULC is played out.

As for the argument that GULC is no bigger than a small liberal arts college.  That is true, but at a small liberal arts college not every student pursues the same major which makes the dynamic totally different.  I don't think Williams or whatever would feel as small and cozy if there were 1600 english majors.

dreamer1

• Sr. Citizen
  • CLS '08
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 01:02:35 PM »
Is there anyone who visited both schools and has something to say?

Any other people confronted with similar choices? anyone? anyone?

JCHeff1979

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2005, 01:17:45 PM »
I went to CU undergrad and loved every minute of it. And those who go to law shcool there seem to share the sentiment. Ithaca is a great place and, while in "the middle of nowhere" is like an oasis in that respect. Great food, great bars and just an awesome place. Winters can suck though.
Shine on you crazy diamond
163 3.4
Attending: TULANE

dreamer1

• Sr. Citizen
  • CLS '08
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 11:04:02 AM »
Bump