Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I really need help...GPA problems!  (Read 1119 times)

Balve

• View Profile
Re: I really need help...GPA problems!
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 12:13:27 PM »
I actually know A LOT about eating disorders, probably more than most of the people here, but since this is a law school board and not an ED board, that is to be expected. I have been a "purging anorexic" althroughtout college, and for those of you who don't know what that means, it because I barely tip the scales above 85 lbs and god chunk of it below 70. However being the people pleaser that I alng with 90% of the other eating disorder victims are, pulled A's all throughout college and I am no unusual circumstance. I just think it is a poor excuse

(hmmm maybe I should use this excuse to explain my insanely bad LSAT score)

Different disorders affect people in different ways. Your comment was still uncalled for. Not everyone can be as strong and self sufficient as you say you are. And what does being a people pleaser have to do with getting A's? Nobody gives a darn what grades you got, so you were only pleasing yourself. Something anorexic people DO NOT do, please themselves that is.

Natasha

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 03:15:01 PM »
I actually know A LOT about eating disorders, probably more than most of the people here, but since this is a law school board and not an ED board, that is to be expected. I have been a "purging anorexic" althroughtout college, and for those of you who don't know what that means, it because I barely tip the scales above 85 lbs and god chunk of it below 70. However being the people pleaser that I alng with 90% of the other eating disorder victims are, pulled A's all throughout college and I am no unusual circumstance. I just think it is a poor excuse

Different disorders affect people in different ways. Your comment was still uncalled for. Not everyone can be as strong and self sufficient as you say you are. And what does being a people pleaser have to do with getting A's? Nobody gives a darn what grades you got, so you were only pleasing yourself. Something anorexic people DO NOT do, please themselves that is.

You make no sense, how could I have gotten A's only to please myself if anorexics do not please themselves. Getting A's has everything to do with peoplepleasing. Nobody worries abotu the straight A student because they seem self-sufficient and strong, it is the D and F student they woryy about. I am anything but strong and self-sufficient being as I still live at home because I can't deal with the stress of having to take care of myself and that I am the furthest thing from recovered, obviously.
As for my comment, it may have been harsh but seems like everyone here is out to make excuses for everything. She got bad grades because she got bad grades and that's that. I missed class to b/p or quizzes/assignments because I was in the ER which my professors refused to let me make-up.

CounterPoint

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 03:22:18 PM »

You make no sense, how could I have gotten A's only to please myself if anorexics do not please themselves. Getting A's has everything to do with peoplepleasing. Nobody worries abotu the straight A student because they seem self-sufficient and strong, it is the D and F student they woryy about. I am anything but strong and self-sufficient being as I still live at home because I can't deal with the stress of having to take care of myself and that I am the furthest thing from recovered, obviously.
As for my comment, it may have been harsh but seems like everyone here is out to make excuses for everything. She got bad grades because she got bad grades and that's that. I missed class to b/p or quizzes/assignments because I was in the ER which my professors refused to let me make-up.

Natasha, apparently your eating disorder has left you with a lousy attitude and some weird need to boost your ego by claiming to be an academically and sociall successful anorexic.  Frankly, if your innate "people pleasing" abilities were so powerful as to assure you A's, I imagine they might also keep you from weighing 70 pounds, or uking after every meal.  That is not people pleasing at all.

As to the OP, I think a well-written addendum could easily make up for the grades, if not leave you with a net positive.  Challenges overcome should not be overlooked, especially when you clearly went back and took control at another great school, and got great grades.

Don't sell yourself short.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 03:26:36 PM »
natasha is obviously still not well if she feels it necessary to make funny feel bad.  That's terrible and she should feel ashamed. 

I think that a grade addendum and then a narrative PS about overcoming the ED is a great idea. 

An ED is not someone's fault and that havoc it causes shouldn't be the subject of any shame or blame.

Congrats on your recovery funny and best of luck in the future.

V00Jeff

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2005, 03:52:26 PM »
I'd like to address the poster's original question, but before I do, I'd just like to say that I think some of the comments on this thread are insensitive.

I agree with what earlier posters have said: an addendum explaining your situation would probably help.  It sounds like you could also tie in your experiences in how you explain why you want to be a lawyer, and I imagine that a well-written personal statement along those lines would probably look good.  Of course, I'm not an adcomm, so who knows...

But as to where you'd get in, I don't really know.  The whole process is very numbers-centric.  Your unique experiences might give you a leg up, but I'm not sure if that leg up will get you into a place with LSAT/GPA averages significantly above yours.  So my other piece of advice would be to get as high of a schore on the lsat as possible.  :)
Attending: Columbia