Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I really need help...GPA problems!  (Read 1152 times)

funny1x2

I really need help...GPA problems!
« on: March 09, 2005, 10:53:00 PM »
Thank you so much for reading this - any insights you have would be helpful!

I'm a first semester senior (I will be graduating next December rather than this May) and am in the process of looking at law schools. I feel that I am qualified to attend a well-regarded program, BUT I also have a substantial dilemma.

When I first started college I had a really serious eating disorder which prevented me from doing my best academically. I was at Villanova and during the 3 semesters which I spent there I had to withdraw 2x to receive treatment and I also failed 2 classes in the semester that I did complete, because I was just not well enough to focus on school.

I took time off to really ensure that I made a full recovery and returned to school a year later (I know go to American University, near my home in DC). Over the course of the past 6 semesters I have received all A's and 1 A-, leaving me with a 3.98 GPA. HOWEVER, I am understand that when I apply to schools that LSDAS will combine my GPAs and will report a significantly lower number, and I am very worried about this. I have been practicing for the LSAT and have gotten between 166-173 on all of the tests, so I hope to do similarly when I take the test in June. If I do perform well on the test, do you think that my lower GPA will hurt me? Or, would an addendum help to overcome this? I plan on writing something, but I am worried about what to say...I am completely well now but worry that disclosing a former mental illness will be very detrimental...

Fortunately, my goal is not to go to Harvard, Yale, Columbia, etc. I want to do advocacy work with juveniles and am applying to joint JD/MSW programs such as Washington University (St. Louis), UConn, Maryland, Catholic, and other reach schools like UVA. Duke, Georgetown, etc.

From your experiences, do you think that I am either selling myself short or over-anticipating my chances? I want to go to the best school that I can get into, but I'm still trying to figure out what that is...

Thanks so much!

Dank Pete

• View Profile
Re: I really need help...GPA problems!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 11:55:09 PM »
How bad was your GPA @ 'Nova?  Add your "attempted credits" and "quality points" from 'Nova to your American totals--with a 3.98 @ American, you'll probably still have a good overall GPA.  And if you get an LSAT score in the upper 160's +, you should be able to get into many of the schools you expressed interest in. 

kristay

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 12:40:24 AM »
You should calculate what your LSDAS GPA will be and then the advice given to you will be a lot better and more specific to your situation.  Everyone will pretty much give you the same advice, though:  get a good LSAT score.

Also, you can write a GPA addendum which will help.

EPH05

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 12:48:28 AM »
In your post you said you were concerned about disclosing your former eating disorder.  Although I'm not and admissions councilor, I would advise you to actually mention why you didn't perform your best at Nova.  I think you have a perfectly understandable situation and I seriously doubt any adcomm would hold an illness against you, especially since you've done such a remarkable job recovering and earning a high GPA at American.  Also you should feel confident about your credentials for LS, a mid 3 GPA and like a 169 would make you all but a lock at most of the schools you mentioned (providing your essays, PS, and extras are decent) and it would give you pretty good odds at UVa and G-town.  All in all I say disclose all and be confident.

eileen2004

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 10:18:14 AM »
In your post you said you were concerned about disclosing your former eating disorder.  Although I'm not and admissions councilor, I would advise you to actually mention why you didn't perform your best at Nova.  I think you have a perfectly understandable situation and I seriously doubt any adcomm would hold an illness against you, especially since you've done such a remarkable job recovering and earning a high GPA at American.  Also you should feel confident about your credentials for LS, a mid 3 GPA and like a 169 would make you all but a lock at most of the schools you mentioned (providing your essays, PS, and extras are decent) and it would give you pretty good odds at UVa and G-town.  All in all I say disclose all and be confident.

I agree.  I have an awful GPA, but with a good LSAT score I've been accepted to most of the schools I applied to.  You have the added advantage of having a good reason for doing poorly.  Try to get your LSAT practice range a bit higher and you should be fine. 

Natasha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005, 07:19:06 PM »
Why would an eating disorder cause you to do bad in school?

Balve

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005, 07:33:11 PM »

I hope you're completely in the dark about this and not just being insensitive. There's more to an eating disorder than just not eating. Its coupled with depression as well. Hard enough getting through school with a major bout of depression, add a serious eating disorder to the mix and you have serious trouble. Good for you, Funny, in turning your life around.

_EKC_

• Sr. Citizen
  • LisBeth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2005, 07:52:04 PM »

seriously. that's ridiculous.

how the hell is your brain supposed to function properly without proper nutrition? what about fatigue? your immune system? it TOTALLY affects your grades.

ccorsi

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2005, 08:17:40 PM »
I would actually write about overcoming your eating disorder in your personal statement not as an addendum to your application.  Be upfront and forthright about your problem and then tell how you overcame the adversity.

Anyone can follow a rose covered path, but people who have been knocked on their ass and gotten up and continued are better people for it.

Good luck.

C2

Natasha

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 02:08:37 AM »
I actually know A LOT about eating disorders, probably more than most of the people here, but since this is a law school board and not an ED board, that is to be expected. I have been a "purging anorexic" althroughtout college, and for those of you who don't know what that means, it because I barely tip the scales above 85 lbs and god chunk of it below 70. However being the people pleaser that I alng with 90% of the other eating disorder victims are, pulled A's all throughout college and I am no unusual circumstance. I just think it is a poor excuse

(hmmm maybe I should use this excuse to explain my insanely bad LSAT score)