Republican
 63 (40.4%)
Democrat
 74 (47.4%)
Other
 19 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Voting closed: March 19, 2005, 09:41:36 PM

Author Topic: Just curioous... Republican or Democrat  (Read 9922 times)

strouse

Re: Just curioous... Republican or Democrat
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2005, 03:20:50 PM »
California Republican; worked for Arnold's campaign

Oh man, how hard do you suck?

And by the way...how hard do you suck? For reals.

Actually you should be asking how hard the Democrats suck.considering their mounting losses and all.  Really, you should be asking how hard the Democrats suck....for reals

eslex300g

• AOL Instant Messenger - eslex300g
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2005, 03:22:41 PM »
That70sGuy

I think you made a good point in noting that the abortion debate has been shaped by radicals on both sides..I believe Clinton said it best when he stated that abortion should be "safe, legal, and rare." And coming from a Democrat, i believe that we've done a crappy job at shaping the abortion debate, allowing conservatives, and pro-lifers, to paint the Democratic Party as "pro-abortion", which just isn't the case at all. I don't believe anyone likes the idea of abortion, and thus policies and programs should be instituted that would likely decrease the chance of an unwanted pregnancy, such as sex-education, and certainly NOT rugged insistence on abstinence, as the religious right would like to have it

MATTB - your comments were awesome, and i don't think i could agree with someone anymore
UNC-Chapel Hill Bound (go Heels!)
GPA - 3.89
LSAT - 159

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=eslex300g

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2005, 03:42:36 PM »
Lifelong Democrat and a John Edwards delegate in 2004!

There's just something about a moderate Democrat lawyer.. with charisma and a health care plan, who came from humble beginnings, that I dig. 

I'm a very moderate Democrat, though, so living in a red state doesn't scare me.  :)

John Edwards ain't "moderate." He's a radical populist mitigated by a lovely Carolina accent.  Therefore, he is God.  Worship Him.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2005, 04:00:51 PM »
I'm a card-carrying Libertarian who proudly voted for John Kerry. My top two political concerns are eliminating war-mongering and the Department of Education.

blondielaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2005, 04:03:32 PM »
I don't think it's accurate to paint all (or even many) "pro-lifers" as unwilling to devote public resources to addressing such social ills such as homelessness, poverty, violent crime, etc. I think there are many thoughtful individuals on both sides of the abortion issue - and unfortunately the extremists on both sides have been successful in radicalizing the dialogue.  I also believe that there are contradictions/inconsistencies/shortcomings on both sides - whether by some pro-lifers who refuse to support sex-ed programs or some pro-choicers who refuse to honestly acknowledge the physical/emotional consequences experienced by some women who have abortions.  It seems to me that most people who are not activists on either side understand that we want to minimize governmental intrusion into the private decisions of its citizens but also accept that some restrictions are not unreasonable given the profound issues of life/death, fetal viability, etc.

Your last sentence is basically the opinion of a pro-choice person, n'est pas?  If what you say is true, then most people are pro-choice.  So then where is all the republican 'pro-life' fuss coming from?

blondielaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2005, 04:05:56 PM »
I don't think it's accurate to paint all (or even many) "pro-lifers" as unwilling to devote public resources to addressing such social ills such as homelessness, poverty, violent crime, etc. I think there are many thoughtful individuals on both sides of the abortion issue - and unfortunately the extremists on both sides have been successful in radicalizing the dialogue.  I also believe that there are contradictions/inconsistencies/shortcomings on both sides - whether by some pro-lifers who refuse to support sex-ed programs or some pro-choicers who refuse to honestly acknowledge the physical/emotional consequences experienced by some women who have abortions.  It seems to me that most people who are not activists on either side understand that we want to minimize governmental intrusion into the private decisions of its citizens but also accept that some restrictions are not unreasonable given the profound issues of life/death, fetal viability, etc.

Your last sentence is basically the opinion of a pro-choice person, n'est pas?  If what you say is true, then most people are pro-choice.  So then where is all the republican 'pro-life' fuss coming from?
Regardless, abortion is a wedge issue.  Bush isn't going to do anything to completely make abortion illegal, and even the steps he took to end 'partial birth' abortion have been overthrown in courts because they didn't include a clause regarding an abortion performed to save the mothers life.  Bush is just using issues like this to get the Christian vote, without any plans to do anything about it.  Well, he didn't get MY vote!

thesman

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2005, 05:42:24 PM »
Democrat

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2005, 06:09:28 PM »
Democrat.

How can anyone on this board be a republican while Bush and his corporate backers declare an all out war on lawyers?
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list

BoscoBreaux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2005, 06:13:20 PM »
Not that it means anything, just curious.
\

More "not a Republican" than a Democrat. Politics is the art of successfully deceiving a mass of under-educated, ill-informed, and uninterested people. Republicans, to date, have been more successful at the deception. Democrats tend to tell the truth a bit too much--to their own peril.

thebengalgent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2005, 06:14:21 PM »
Whatever your party affiliation, remember one thing:

The Clinton Restoration is coming.