Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Part Time Versus Full Time -- Anyone Debating Their Options?  (Read 2709 times)

KappaOne

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Part Time Versus Full Time -- Anyone Debating Their Options?
« on: March 08, 2005, 11:34:14 PM »
Is anyone considering attending law school part time in the evening? What do you see as the pros and cons?  What about career prospects for part time students?

NothingSpecial

Re: Part Time Versus Full Time -- Anyone Debating Their Options?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 11:41:43 PM »
I would go to a T14 part time, otherwise I don't think it's worth it, unless you HAVE to work and go to school.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 07:27:23 AM »
I disagree.  There is nothing wrong with PT.  I will likely be attending GW PT and top 20 is still worth it. 

Plus, my agency will pay for a huge chunk of my schooling.  Living in places like DC is expensive.  I don't see why everybody on here tends to knock PT.  It drives me nuts.
Attending GW in Fall '06

vivarin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 07:35:44 AM »
To be honest, I'm considering it as well, but for Fordham.  Am I crazy?  I have a decent shot at Fordham FT (I don't really know how decent), but it looks like my numbers are even better for their PT program.  Would ppl think I'm crazy for considering applying for the PT instead of FT to more guarantee admission? 

Would others do the same to their top school of choice?  I wonder what schools would think of you if you applied for BOTH their FT and PT programs...would it hurt your chances at either program?

shortckt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rambling Wreck
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 08:45:00 AM »
I think it's a simple decision.
If you have a great job that you don't want to give up, then PT is the obvious choice.
Even if your job isn't great, but you can't give up the $$, then go PT also.
If not, go FT so you participate for the 1L intership easily and finish in 3 years.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 09:00:10 AM »
I think it needs to be noted that you can still intern as a PT after 2L and 3L, if you can work it out.  I know my government agency permits a leave of abscence without pay and I plan to take two three month doses in order to swing an internship.  Check with your employer, especially if it is a government agency.
Attending GW in Fall '06

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 09:31:55 AM »
You can't blame work for your UGPA.  I worked in undergrad. and my GPA was better.  I had to manage my time more efficiently.  Also, life is a bit calmer after college so I don't think you can compare the two.
Attending GW in Fall '06

Engilaw

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 09:35:19 AM »
I'm the same way.  If I don't find admission at a better school, I'll gladly attend GULC PT.  I'm still debating on whether I want to work, but since I was also considering taking a year off before law school, I figure going PT will be a nice compromise between deferring and FT. Plus, you can transfer to FT after 1E summer.

Also, I heard that most firm's don't care about FT / PT, as much as they do about the pedigree.  GULC PT is still GULC.  Of course, this is all hearsay.

HankieB

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 10:00:18 AM »
I'm still debating the PT/FT decision.  My current job has started to improve somewhat (I hated it during the fall when I was filling out apps, and I was planning to quit to go to school FT), and I got a decent raise last week.  My salary and benefits are very good, much better than my husband's, and my boss is pretty flexible with my hours.  The more I think about it, the less I want to live without my income, and I start worrying about how much debt I would accrue by going FT (definitely > $100K). 

If I do PT, it will be at a tier 2 school.  A close relative of mine who is a former partner at a BIGLAW firm (is currently of-counsel), has always encouraged me to do PT school, specifically the school that I will probably attend.  Apparently most employers do not "look down" on part timers, assuming that they get good grades and interview well.

I am a little worried about getting top grades in a PT program, but I managed to get an MBA at a tough school while working, so I'm sure that I will find a way to work things out.

vivarin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2005, 10:26:09 AM »
Would anybody seriously consider applying to the PT program just so they can raise their chances of admission at their school of choice, even though they don't really plan to work (or work at a demanding job)?