Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What is a really great LSAT prep book?  (Read 5041 times)

badar

• View Profile
What is a really great LSAT prep book?
« on: March 08, 2005, 07:33:04 PM »
My LSAT score is 150 and I want to raise it 10-15
points the next time around. I already took a 6-week
Kaplan prior to my first LSAT, any advice before I
take it a second time in October? Basically I want a
really good instruction book that will compliment
taking old tests. Which is best: powerscore, princeton
review, etc? Have any of you found books on symbolic
logic helpful? Thanks

YankyKitten

Re: What is a really great LSAT prep book?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 07:39:18 PM »
My first LSAT score was a 149, then bought the Next Ten Official LSAT tests and took one timed test a week, on Saturday morning, reviewed it, then each night during the week I reviewed one section of a new test very slowly, trying to understand the questions.  I raised my score to 159.

JDCPA

• AOL Instant Messenger - CRYINGWOLFOWITZ
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 03:55:25 AM »
If you need help on the logic games, try, "The Logic Games Bible" by power score. My first practice proctored test (kaplan simulation) I scored a mock 147, with about 4 logic games right. When I took the actual test, I scored a 156, with 18 logic games right, because of this book.
Adam
Biology Bachelors/Accounting Masters
Future JD/CPA
Don't ask
Resident political/poll junkie
156 In case you wanted to know
"A conservative is a man who has a perfectly good set of legs, yet cannot walk forward"--Franklin Roosevelt

06hopeful

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 10:58:31 AM »
Yeah, the LGB is a great book. DON'T GET THE BARRON'S BOOK!  It is waaaaay too easy and will give you a false sense of confidence!  Practice tests are your best bet.  Just take them until you can do them in your sleep!

Sexykat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 10:45:24 AM »
Take practice tests and just keep reviewing the games.  LRB is good but it also is very thick  :D  LGB is a good book also, but keep in mind those games are taken from tests, so you might be taking a practice test and stumble upon a game you have already seen/done before  ;)

LSATguy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 05:15:48 PM »
Yeah, the LGB is a great book. DON'T GET THE BARRON'S BOOK!  It is waaaaay too easy and will give you a false sense of confidence!  Practice tests are your best bet.  Just take them until you can do them in your sleep!

Agreed. Even if someone gives you the Barrons book for free, dont take it. Its garbage.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 05:20:36 PM »
Logic Games Bible and Logical Reasoning Bible seem to be the best books in their respective subjects.  I'd recommend those (the price is steep compared to some other books, but you're paying for both quality and quantity -- those books are huge).  Also, get as many real LSAT exams as possible.  Go through them and go over them very carefully to see which problems consistently give you problems.  Good luck.
Yale.Law.School.2010

hammer101

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 07:48:06 PM »
Kaplan's LSAT 180 is pretty good too.
We want a society where people are free to make choices, to make mistakes, to be generous and compassionate. This is what we mean by a moral society; not a society where the state is responsible for everything, and no one is responsible for the state.
--Margaret Thatcher

thescreed

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 10:09:31 PM »
I was skeptical about the Logic Games Bible (mainly because of the price) but I was desperate so I bought it. What a difference it made! If you are anything short of perfect on the logic games, I highly recommend this book. It will get you organized. And unless you have a photographic memory, don't worry about ruining your practice tests. Chances are you won't remember the questions but if you do, just force yourself to know why each wrong answer is wrong before marking your sheet.

I also have LSAT 180, but I don't recommend it unless you're trying to go from 165 to 170 or more. It's mostly just very dense practice problems that will help you with your speed.

itsmegark

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2005, 12:42:13 AM »
lrb