Law School Discussion

Poll

Total Members Voted: 0

Re: Davis v. Hastings

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 02:04:19 PM »
I think it really comes down to personal preference.  I think McAllister is a great way to get to know lots of people.  I am kind of a social nut, so I assume I will get to know lots of people through other organizations, etc. 

McAllister is ugly and depressing, though.  I happen to be one of those people it probably would slightly bother.  I know lots of kids in the city too.  I just think it would be better for networking/socializing to know tons of one L's and other folks.  I did Teach for America.  Hanging out w/ nothing but Teach for America kids for a long time, talking obsessively about teaching...got old.  It was the predominant thing we all had in common.  So, we would go to a bar...talk about teaching.  Hang out at home...talk about teaching.  I got sooooooooo tired of it.  I LOVE the law and I want to continue to love it...that is why I feel it can be important to have a balanced life.  I just feel I probably couldn't get that in McAllister.  I'll probably cheat, though...get to know someone in McAllister and hang w/ them sometimes!!!   ;D

nola8688

• THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2004, 09:00:25 AM »
Yeah, a bubble could be good for you. I suppose that when it comes down to it, home is whatever you make of it. If you haven't already, I really suggest visiting the Tower to see if you think it's livable. The dirtiness and atmosphere of the place isn't a big deal for me - a lot of the apartments and other living situations I dealt with in Berkeley (my frat house) are basically of the same standard. I can easily see how others would think that McAllister is too disguisting/depressing to live in.

Hmm,

I am sending the deposit just so I can have the option of living in the tower. Altrnet, can you give me the names of some areas in SF that are somewhat safe, somewhat reasonable for rent, and near public transportation lines? I am about to make the 30 hour drive to orange county, then chill for a week or so, then make the drive up to SF for housing day (mainly to look at the tower). I want to have some other possible areas in mind just in case I choose to live elsewhere.

Anyone ever driven across texas? I am not looking forward to this....

Thanks

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2004, 02:43:41 PM »
Yeah, a bubble could be good for you. I suppose that when it comes down to it, home is whatever you make of it. If you haven't already, I really suggest visiting the Tower to see if you think it's livable. The dirtiness and atmosphere of the place isn't a big deal for me - a lot of the apartments and other living situations I dealt with in Berkeley (my frat house) are basically of the same standard. I can easily see how others would think that McAllister is too disguisting/depressing to live in.

Hmm,

I am sending the deposit just so I can have the option of living in the tower. Altrnet, can you give me the names of some areas in SF that are somewhat safe, somewhat reasonable for rent, and near public transportation lines? I am about to make the 30 hour drive to orange county, then chill for a week or so, then make the drive up to SF for housing day (mainly to look at the tower). I want to have some other possible areas in mind just in case I choose to live elsewhere.

Thanks

How far away do you want to live from campus?  And how long of a commute are you willing to put up with?  :) 

nola8688

• THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2004, 03:18:32 PM »

Hmm,

Thanks

How far away do you want to live from campus?  And how long of a commute are you willing to put up with?  :) 

How far? I guess maybe 15-20, *maybe* a 30 minute commute at most.

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2004, 11:49:17 AM »
Hi everyone, I'll be attending Hastings this fall. Any recommendation on where to live? I don't think I will bring a car so I'd like to live near easy transportation...I've browsed Craigslist but have no idea about which neighborhoods are good. I'm looking for a reasonably priced place, but would pay more for peace of mind. I don't want more than a 30-minute commute...Thanks for your help! Hope to get to know all of you Hastings-bound students better!

Kim