Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Catholic w/$$ or GW  (Read 904 times)

ladylaw

• View Profile
Catholic w/$$ or GW
« on: March 08, 2005, 11:22:44 AM »
I received a letter from Catholic Law in D.C. that they would give me $12,500 a year in scholarship money if I go there. That would bring my cost of living and school expenses down to about 30K a year. If I go to GW, I'll pay around 40K a year. Note: I plan to live at home all 3 years. The question is, do you think that the savings is worthwhile if I go to a school that is ranked in the 80s vs. one that is ranked 20th. Any opinions/advice would be welcome!
Accepted: American, Catholic, GW, UT
Denied: Georgetown
3.4/160

shortckt

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rambling Wreck
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic w/$$ or GW
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 11:25:31 AM »
If CUA offered full tuition, it might be a tough decision, but 12K in my opinion is not enough.  GW will open may doors that CUA can't.

Trel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 12:12:34 PM »
GW...shouldn't even be a question about it with just 12k/year.
You can see my numbers at LSN

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 01:33:35 PM »
Even with a Full Ride I don't think it should be a tough decision.  GW will definately open many more doors than CUA would.
Attending GW in Fall '06

ladylaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2005, 03:41:33 PM »
Thanks everyone. These big debt numbers are scary but I think that you are right.
3.4/160

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2005, 03:53:52 PM »
Lady, you going to GW PT or FT?  I will be there in the fall PT unless by a miracle from God I get into GULC, which is NEVER going to happen.
Attending GW in Fall '06

Admonish

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 04:13:41 PM »
Did you already get accepted to GW? If so, I would use that--gently--as leverage to get more money from Catholic. Do it in person. Arrange for a meeting. If that doesn't work, you don't really lose much because GW is the way to go in that situation. Not enough money.

Monkey

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 04:58:53 PM »
Did you already get accepted to GW? If so, I would use that--gently--as leverage to get more money from Catholic. Do it in person. Arrange for a meeting. If that doesn't work, you don't really lose much because GW is the way to go in that situation. Not enough money.

While I think GW's the way to go regardless, if there's something specific about Catholic that you really like (it has some well-regarded clinical programs, for example), that suggestion definitely couldn't hurt.  I was offered $18K at Catholic, so they are offering different amounts - and most likely, I won't be taking it anyway, so there will be more money in their "kitty" once they hear back from everyone.
Attending: W&M

ladylaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 05:57:19 PM »
I'll be going to GW part-time. I'm working on that freakin' financial aid form that they make us fill out and my parents are having a hard time finding all the info that they need. It sucks b/c I'm independent of my parents but they need info on my parents b/c I'm under 30.
3.4/160

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 06:00:05 PM »
Yeah, I am not filling that out.  I will never get any grants since my employer is paying a nice chunk of it.  Also, note that they only gave out 25 5K grants last year so it is very tough to get them for PT.  I am just going with federal loans, my employer, and hopefully landing a scholarship come year 2.  Where do you live lady?  Are you going to preview evening March 30th?
Attending GW in Fall '06