Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The unthinkable has happened. Now what?  (Read 8415 times)

badar

• View Profile
The unthinkable has happened. Now what?
« on: March 07, 2005, 06:29:26 PM »
Well, I didn't get into any of the 19 law schools I applied for, despite a 3.8 GPA, strong resume with a published 9-11 detainee research study, and good essays and recommendations. Although I should mention my LSAT score is 150.

Now what? I am not entirely sure what type of law I want to pursue, so it is difficult to choose a relevant job experience. Is Capitol Hill a good bet, since it encompasses so many facets of the law? Any advice on getting a Legislative Correspondent or Speech Writing position?

Of course, I need to somehow rock my next LSAT score. Any suggestions on how to do that? I took a 6-week kaplan course before my last test; is there an alternative for effective test preparation? Is there a really good book I should purchase? I heard books on logical reasoning is helpful.

The bottom line question is that I still want to go top 30 or higher: how do I do that? Do law schools care about 1 or 2 years of work experience? Or is it just the score? Since most schools average LSAT scores together, how much higher do I have to score than my previous 150 to achieve my goal? 

Any brutal honesty would be appreciated.

savantpol

Re: The unthinkable has happened. Now what?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 10:55:42 PM »
If you're going to be competitive in the top 30, you need to have a much better score. A jump of 10 points would make you competitive, a jump of 15 points would make you a shoo-in at some school in the top 30, and maybe better. Frankly, your score isn't respectable in the top 30, period.

Work experience is the icing on the cake that is your stats. Look at chiashu.com and see what score you need to get to be competitive where. Oh, and the importance of that 3.8 depends on where it came from.

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 11:00:41 PM »
Did you only apply to top 30 schools? You can go into a tier 2 or lower school and transfer into a top 30 school if you do very well your first semester. A couple of lower ranked schools have deadlines on april 1st so you still have a chance if you want to this cycle. No job experience would overcome a 150 score if you're looking for a top 30.

akl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 04:09:30 AM »
work experience is nice, and some schools care a lot about (northwestern!!!!) and some schools dont at all. even at the schools that care the most about work experience they would at most account for about 5 points on the lsat, but 1-2 years of experience would at most be 3 points....these are real random numbers, but its my best guesses....you should take a good class and dedicate a few months to study hard for another lsat if you really want to get into a better school. although most schools average 2 scores, some willtake the highest only if there is a big difference between the 2 score (usually has to be a minnimun of 8 points higher)   good luck!
3.5/169

JDCPA

• AOL Instant Messenger - CRYINGWOLFOWITZ
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 04:14:06 AM »
I hate to rain on your parade, but unless you can score a 180 on the second test you are aiming too high. According to the data on lsac.org, for whatever your initial score, the average amount that the score is raised upon retaking the test is about 2 points. This is the case with a 145, 150, 160. Maybe you can raise it more but even a 160 averages to a 155, which is WAY below what T30 schools accept. If you do a data search on lsac.org, with your numbers, you have greater than 60% chance of acceptance (as of two years ago, and the standards WILL be up last year, this year and next)to about 70 of the 200 or so ABA approved law schools. Most of these are tier three, such as Texas Tech and the Arkansas-Fayettville. You might get into some second tiers but most of them are not going to have statistics up to the T30 (SLU for example has an average starting salary around 52k or so). The work experience wont matter at all. To get into a T30 school you need an LSAT of probably 165. SMU is ranked around 50 and has average GPA 3.9 and LSAT 163 as of last year. My point is not to be pessimistic, but to tell you to shoot for schools you can get into.  The reason we have to take the LSAT at all is because some people have easier majors and thus higher GPAs. It would be unwise to say that someone's 3.5 is better than someone else's 3.3. The LSAT is uniform, and is a better simulation of what you find in law school.
Adam
Biology Bachelors/Accounting Masters
Future JD/CPA
Don't ask
Resident political/poll junkie
156 In case you wanted to know
"A conservative is a man who has a perfectly good set of legs, yet cannot walk forward"--Franklin Roosevelt

burp

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 02:02:16 PM »
Well, some schools will only consider the higher score if the difference is more than 7 points (or something close to that) and you have a good explanation why your second score is so much better. To be competitive, you probably need to score around 163 or above. I'd aim for that instead of the probably unrealistic 180.

Silvermtn

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - silvermountain74
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 12:14:31 AM »
I don't know about the top 30 but, for what it is worth, I know that Mississippi College, Nova Southeastern, Villanova and Cal.Western always take the higher LSAT score.

Name Changing Queen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2005, 12:33:01 AM »
Why do you only want to go to a T30?  Do you have some really great reason why any school below a T30 could not meet your needs?  Or is it a dignity thing because you have done so well as an undergrad, plus have good extras, so you feel like it is "deserved" or something?

In your Kaplan course, was a 150 pretty much your avg score on your diagnostics?  Did you really commit yourself to the course?  If you had done nothing to prepare the first time, I might be more likely to think you could still easily get a 165 or whatever, but the truth is: it is really hard to make a 15 pt LSAT leap.  And if you have already worked through materials, I would think that the chances of ENORMOUS gain would be even smaller. 

That said, by all means should you retake the LSAT, just it would probably be a lot easier on you if you'd take something lower than a t30.

I see these posts a lot and this is the thought I am stuck with:  Why would someone care so much about the specific number ranking ( and not look beyond that to the other assets of the school) but then in turn expect the schools to look beyond their LSAT numbers to discover the really cool person behind them???

It's sort of a sick cycle.  If a T30 "takes a chance" on too many Lsat 150s, PRESTO, they aren't a T30 anymore.  The applicant at once wants them to take a chance on THEM, but on nobody else with similar statistics (thereby dropping their rank a bit).

Practice LSATS: 180, 182, 183, 184
Practice GPA: 3.75, 3.81, 4.33

dave303

• Sr. Citizen
  • La plus belle pour aller danser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2005, 01:22:21 AM »
You can wait 4-5 years I believe and LSAC will clear your old score.

Donkey

• Sr. Citizen
  • Where's the beef?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2005, 03:39:58 PM »
Look at the T30 schools that will throw out the old score if you test 10/15 points higher on the next LSAT, which is what you will need to get into a T30. I hate to agree with the earlier post, but this is highly unlikely, especially given the fact that you took a review course before the first LSAT. See the following link for the specifics:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/multiple_lsat.php

You may want to evaluate your goals honestly. Getting into a T30 requires being in the top 10% or so of applicants, which is not the easiest goal to accomplish.

HTH.
Hippies suck.