Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Albany Ding...BY EMAIL  (Read 3793 times)

WfPck05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Albany Ding...BY EMAIL
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2005, 11:11:06 AM »
Wellllll....sounds like Albany is a good Plan B, then.

It would be a plan be if they didn't require a deposit for the summer program by March 21.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2005, 12:14:12 PM »
I just got an email back from Dean Chamberlaine. Since, the wording in the AAMPLE offer was vague I wanted to make sure that successful completion of the program guaranteed a spot in the incoming class. I would hate to spend all of that money if this is not a sure thing. She assured me that successful completion does in deed guarantee a spot in the incoming class.

I also wanted to make sure that completing the program successfully did not bind me to Albany... I am still hoping to get off of a WL... she said that it does not bind you to attend Albany in the fall. You can turn them down if you decide not to attend. Of course, you do not get the money back, but at least you can still have other options.

I think I am going to send in the first deposit. If I get accepted somewhere other than Vermont, that I like better than Albany, I can always drop the class and just loose the first deposit.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself absurd.
I can't pass up this oppurtunity to make myself be heard.
Nobody's gonna stand in my way.
Give it up son, I'm doin this my way.. Seether

http://lawschoolhopeful.blogspot.com/

blake840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2005, 12:34:13 PM »
The only thing I'm worried about is the law school GPA thing.  It's cool if it isn't binding, but if it counts as "real" law school classes (as we assumed-real GPA=no report to USnews), thn do we have to tell the school we DO enroll in about the classes?  I'm only asking because on all of my applications I sent it specifically asked me if I had enrolled in any other law school...and I'm worried that if I bomb it, which would not be like me at all, that I will be screwed for the rest of my LS career.
Uconn Law 1L.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2005, 01:08:46 PM »
Blake,

You do not have to report it to other law schools. If you read the FAQ on the AAMPLE page, it says that they would not be transferable to a different school. Since it is a special program, they must work the administrative end differently. We are probably taking the classes as non-matriculants, so we are technically not enrolled in the law school until after we complete the program.

BrianFellow

« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2005, 01:27:27 PM »
Albany is not the only T3 school with a program like this. Loyola University-New Orleans also has a conditional program. You will want to ask the admissions office how many students actually successfully complete the course. I know at Loyola that approximately one hundred people take the course, but only ten or so successfully complete it and are admitted. The school also has a limited number of seats held for people who are conditionally accepted, so not everyone will pass anyway.
Overall, I think it is 100 percent worth it, considering admission to law school is getting more and more competitive every year. But do get all of the facts from the admissions office concerning the class.
Also, the people I know who were conditionally accepted and got in say the class was a blessing in disguise because it really prepared them for what a law school class is really like. So even if you don't pass it, you will gain some knowledge that will help you in the future.

WfPck05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2005, 01:38:53 PM »
Albany is not the only T3 school with a program like this. Loyola University-New Orleans also has a conditional program. You will want to ask the admissions office how many students actually successfully complete the course. I know at Loyola that approximately one hundred people take the course, but only ten or so successfully complete it and are admitted. The school also has a limited number of seats held for people who are conditionally accepted, so not everyone will pass anyway.
Overall, I think it is 100 percent worth it, considering admission to law school is getting more and more competitive every year. But do get all of the facts from the admissions office concerning the class.
Also, the people I know who were conditionally accepted and got in say the class was a blessing in disguise because it really prepared them for what a law school class is really like. So even if you don't pass it, you will gain some knowledge that will help you in the future.

A 10% success rate doesn't sound very good to me.  Maybe I'm being too critical though.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2005, 02:08:43 PM »
The AAMPLE program has had between 20% to 50% success rate in the past. Although, they did not give specifics for each year.

leoladybug

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2005, 02:33:06 PM »
I think I may go ahead and deposit the $300 too.  I already spent way more than that on application fees and a 2.5 would give me a guaranteed spot...
maybe I will hear from other places before 3/21...keeping my fingers crossed

WfPck05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2005, 05:31:47 PM »
I think I may go ahead and deposit the $300 too.  I already spent way more than that on application fees and a 2.5 would give me a guaranteed spot...
maybe I will hear from other places before 3/21...keeping my fingers crossed

My advisor said today I will probably defend at the end of May and be finished by the end of June.  I don't see how I could possibly do both.

shadowcreeper

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • law school hopeful
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2005, 07:20:49 PM »
WFP,

That is rough, I am sorry to hear about this. Is there anyway you can finish up as much as possible before the class starts? I have not heard back from my advisor yet. But, I got rejected from Syracuse today, and even though I am pending at 9 more places, there are only about 3 or 4 that I would want to go to over Albany. I am just sending in the deposit.

Anyone know where to send the check? Is it to admissions?