Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In at U Colorado  (Read 1451 times)

Boehmer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to Bull Mountain
    • View Profile
    • Email
In at U Colorado
« on: March 07, 2005, 02:31:57 PM »
The first one feels good.  I got the letter today, but it was dated Feb 23rd.  A letter also came from an assnt dean or someone (I don't remember, my mom just told me over the phone).

Couple questions....
Does anyone know when admitted students day is at UC?  Does UC reimburse for transportation to visit?

Any other general comments on UC would be greatly appreciated.
LSAT: 164 CGPA: 3.68 LSN
Accepted: CU, Santa Clara, USD
Waitlisted: Pepperdine, USC (Deferred: ED)
Rejected: UCLA

karita624

• View Profile
Re: In at U Colorado
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 02:37:21 PM »
Same thing-- the letter was dated in late February (received today), then I received 2 more letters, from a dean and an assistant dean.
Here is what I have heard about Boulder:
1) the building is awful, and there aren't concrete plans of building a new one in the next couple of years.
2) students are happy-- how couldn't they be in Boulder???
3) career services is as dismal as the building, it is very hard to get a job after graduation. 

I wish 1 and 3 were different, because I would absolutely love to be in Colorado for law school!  Let me know if you hear more positives.....

Thunderlips

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2005, 02:43:08 PM »
i went there for undergrad, boulder is a great place.  don't know all that much about the law school, but they already broke ground on their new building, which is scheduled to open in 8/06.  here's the link to the article on their website: http://lawweb.colorado.edu/news/showArticle.jsp?id=31

also, it's CU, not UC (even though it's the university of colorado).

EDIT: looks like they have a website for the new building: http://www.colorado.edu/law/alumdev/newbuilding/index.htm

Boehmer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to Bull Mountain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2005, 02:48:55 PM »
also, it's CU, not UC (even though it's the university of colorado).

Well that doesn't make any sense.  I don't know if I want to attend a school that can't even get their own initials correct.  ;D
LSAT: 164 CGPA: 3.68 LSN
Accepted: CU, Santa Clara, USD
Waitlisted: Pepperdine, USC (Deferred: ED)
Rejected: UCLA

rcunio

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 02:49:35 PM »
Congratulations everybody.  I have the same interests and worries about Colorado.  I've heard it's a fantastic place to live, with numerous recreational opportunities, but then again...won't I be spending most of my time in the library(and I've heard the facilities are horrendous).  True, there are plans for a new building, but will I ever see it?  Representatives seem inclined to tout the proximity to skiing before giving specifics about the actual programs and curriculum.  Still...I'm interested in the school.  If anyone has any info, please post.

Thunderlips

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 02:53:00 PM »
"Well that doesn't make any sense.  I don't know if I want to attend a school that can't even get their own initials correct."

yeah, it's not just them though, the university of denver is called DU...something's wrong w/ the whole state.

karita624

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2005, 03:04:43 PM »
Congratulations everybody.  I have the same interests and worries about Colorado.  I've heard it's a fantastic place to live, with numerous recreational opportunities, but then again...won't I be spending most of my time in the library(and I've heard the facilities are horrendous).  True, there are plans for a new building, but will I ever see it?  Representatives seem inclined to tout the proximity to skiing before giving specifics about the actual programs and curriculum.  Still...I'm interested in the school.  If anyone has any info, please post.

I am still interested, too, in spite of everything!  Ever since I received the letter, all I can think about is how *great* it would be to spend three years there. 
(I am sure reality will set in tomorrow and I will be considering the cornfields of UIUC, again).

foxnewssucks

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 03:08:47 PM »
congratulations on the acceptances! 

The two things it has going for it are location and costs.  you will be able to get in-state tuition for 2nd and 3rd year.

I wouldnt count on the new building being ready anytime before your 3rd year.  hopefully i am wrong, but that is my opinion on the matter.  at least it will be nice.

Colorado is highly regarded in Colorado, (duh), but won't really travel anywhere else.  Plan on being in the top half of your class if you want decent job prospects.

One thing that worried me is that it seems that the Big Law firms based out of say.. DC, SF, NYC, Seattle, LA, Chicago, etc... that have offices in Denver seem to hire most of the associates out of Top 10 schools.  They do OCI at CU, but it seems that maybe they will hire ONE person out of Colorado and that person was top 10% and on law review.  This is not always the case, but something I was noticing.  I think that Denver is attractive for a number of people at the "national" schools and they probably will have an advantage.

Personally, I haven't heard from Colorado, but I will most likely not attend if accepted. Good Luck.

kd

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 06:51:24 PM »
I'm seriously considering CU mainly bc of its location and it's (barely) in the top 50.  I just visited and the building is not too bad.  One students said she wasn't sure if the building would be done on time, but definitely before I would graduate in '08.  Anyone know anything more about job prospects??
3.8/165

AgentRHE

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 10:51:35 AM »
Just got mine yesterday.  I'd kind of thought that they'd forgotten about me.  Figured I'd messed up the app somehow.

Still... Admits are good things.   :)
Attending: Wisconsin