Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: For Blacks in Law School, Can Less Be More?  (Read 3486 times)

srbin84

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vote Neifi for All-Star
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: For Blacks in Law School, Can Less Be More?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2005, 01:01:40 AM »
What seems racist is the highlighting of those specific statistics.

Alright, well, I can see that....it makes sense.  I have seen similar statistics to the ones in this article, and I think there is a lot to be said about them.  If you are against AA, you really shouldn't be too fervent about your arguments because AA is a double edged sword that has benefits to non-URMs as well.  While AA may allow a very small number of spots to be filled at each school that otherwise more qualified non-URMs may have taken up, these same people benefit from the presence of minorites, at least blacks, according to the stats in the posted article because it means that non-URMs will most likely place higher in their graduating classes.  I think this is an interesting fact within the AA debate.
www.wavelandavenue.net

Home of the hilarious and popular Baseball Tall Tales!!!

clayfu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2005, 12:36:08 AM »
What seems racist is the highlighting of those specific statistics.

Alright, well, I can see that....it makes sense.  I have seen similar statistics to the ones in this article, and I think there is a lot to be said about them.  If you are against AA, you really shouldn't be too fervent about your arguments because AA is a double edged sword that has benefits to non-URMs as well.  While AA may allow a very small number of spots to be filled at each school that otherwise more qualified non-URMs may have taken up, these same people benefit from the presence of minorites, at least blacks, according to the stats in the posted article because it means that non-URMs will most likely place higher in their graduating classes.  I think this is an interesting fact within the AA debate.

Thanks to black and mexican people in my college course my GPA is super high cause they always bring down the curveeee

srbin84

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vote Neifi for All-Star
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2005, 01:06:01 AM »

Thanks to black and mexican people in my college course my GPA is super high cause they always bring down the curveeee

Yeah, this is what I was alluding to.  I think non-urms should consider this.  I am not saying AA is right or wrong, but I am saying that there appears to be at least some benefit for non-urms. 
www.wavelandavenue.net

Home of the hilarious and popular Baseball Tall Tales!!!