Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GWU Housing  (Read 2050 times)

mreleph

• Say hello at GWU preview day.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mrowrman
    • View Profile
    • Musings
Re: GWU Housing
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2005, 09:02:26 PM »
Eileen is a speed demon.  Logan Circle is 20 minute walk to GWU. Farragut is 10 minutes.

I live in a $1000 (incl utils) ~560ft studio in Cleveland Park. Good building, basic appliances, nice amenities (24hr desk, gym), nice neighborhood, on top of the Metro 3 stops from GWU, 30 minutes door-to-door.

http://quebechouseapts.com

questions, tours, lsd@mrbb.org

If you do the roommate thing, Capitol Hill and Dupont are great for GWU.

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2005, 11:18:06 PM »
Your building looks awesome!  Definately worth a look if I decide to attend.

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2005, 08:00:58 AM »
Yeah, definately nice.  I work in crystal city, however, so a bit too much of a pain for the work commute.  I think I am going to look in Crystal City, Ballston, Courthouse, and Rosslyn on the VA side. 

Anybody have any recommendations for reasonable studios or 2 bedrooms in DC?
Attending GW in Fall '06

SuperMoni

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2005, 08:18:04 AM »
Eileen is a speed demon. Logan Circle is 20 minute walk to GWU. Farragut is 10 minutes.
I live in a $1000 (incl utils) ~560ft studio in Cleveland Park. Good building, basic appliances, nice amenities (24hr desk, gym), nice neighborhood, on top of the Metro 3 stops from GWU, 30 minutes door-to-door.
http://quebechouseapts.com
questions, tours, lsd@mrbb.org
If you do the roommate thing, Capitol Hill and Dupont are great for GWU.

mreleph: does is suck transfering from Red to Blue/Orange everyday?

eileen2004

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2005, 09:00:33 AM »
Eileen is a speed demon.  Logan Circle is 20 minute walk to GWU. Farragut is 10 minutes.

Yeah - I was underestimating with the 10 minute thing.  I timed it last week and it took me closer to 20.  Studios in the older buildings in that neighborhood go for a bit under $1000/month.  The new ones are ridiculous. 

mreleph

• Say hello at GWU preview day.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mrowrman
    • View Profile
    • Musings
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2005, 09:41:32 AM »

(1) You don't need to transfer. The Red Line Farragut North stop is 11 minutes (unburdened quick stroll, not powerwalking) from the law building. The Orange Line Farragut West and GWU--Foggy Bottom stops are like 7 minutes.

(2) It sucks in the morning even if you don't transfer. I work in Bethesda right now, with a reverse commute and flextime. I rode the commuter direction at 8:30am for the first time in like ever to go to Preview, 6 minutes of hell. I am committing to skip 9am class every day after the first week. There is absolutely no reason for a school to hold a 9am class downtown in a city with an overcrowded subway.

legallady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2005, 10:17:07 AM »

(2) It sucks in the morning even if you don't transfer. I work in Bethesda right now, with a reverse commute and flextime. I rode the commuter direction at 8:30am for the first time in like ever to go to Preview, 6 minutes of hell. I am committing to skip 9am class every day after the first week. There is absolutely no reason for a school to hold a 9am class downtown in a city with an overcrowded subway.

Oh honey, you really think the commute in this city is that bad???  I've done it every day, twice a day for the past year, and it's really no big deal. Also, SuperMoni, transferring Red to Blue/Orange isn't that bad. Metro Center (the transfer point) can get a little nuts b/w 8:30 and 9 sometimes, but it's not nearly as bad as the public transportation in a lot of other big cities. The Metro is clean, quiet, fast, and you know when the next train is coming to the minute.

Also, to all you worried about studio prices in Foggy Bottom and NoVa, there are plenty of other neighborhoods in this city that are fun to live in and don't cost nearly as much. If some miracle happens and GW lets me in and I can stay living in DC for another three years, I'm planning on commuting from the U Street/Columbia Heights area. You just have to put the time into looking for a good place.
In: NOWHERE!
Waitlist: GW, Fordham, American
Out: Ha! Many... but let's focus on the semi-positive at this point, shall we?

Erapitt

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2005, 10:22:57 AM »
Legal lady.... Isn't columbia heights a bit ghetto?  I know they are trying to fix it up and my fav. happy hour is there (bohemian caverns) as well as uncle ben's chili bowl, however, it is still a shady  neighborhood off the main road.  I definately would not want to be strolling on the side streets off the U street metro late at night.

At least that is what I have been told.
Attending GW in Fall '06

legallady

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2005, 11:12:06 AM »
Legal lady.... Isn't columbia heights a bit ghetto?  I know they are trying to fix it up and my fav. happy hour is there (bohemian caverns) as well as uncle ben's chili bowl, however, it is still a shady  neighborhood off the main road.  I definately would not want to be strolling on the side streets off the U street metro late at night.

At least that is what I have been told.

It's not ghetto!! I am a little white girl and I frequent that area all the time, and I have never felt unsafe walking around after dark. I mean, you have to be street smart, but that's the same as anywhere else in the city. I actually feel more unsafe walking around East Dupont or Georgetown because ritzy neighborhoods are where people get mugged.     

Also, I know kung fu. I pity the fool who tries to f--k with me  ;)
In: NOWHERE!
Waitlist: GW, Fordham, American
Out: Ha! Many... but let's focus on the semi-positive at this point, shall we?

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2005, 12:30:35 PM »
Does anyone know how long of a metro ride it is to Ballston from the GW stop? I'll be attending GW next year and I have a potential roommate in Ballston. I've always imagined living in the actual city, but considering where GW is, I think there would be some advantages to living across the river in Arlington (especially cost). But is Ballston too far out for a daily commute?
GW